Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've learned the following to help range:

Pre-heat in the morning/while on charge
Turn the heater down, turn the seat heaters on - the seat heaters are far less energy consuming. I actually prefer it this way to conventional heating.
Set the regen braking to standard and start driving with 1 pedal. I didn't have it on standard for a long time and I'm sure my range was worse.
If you're using sentry mode then you can disable the cameras at specific locations like work/whatever. This helps too.

I also pop out during lunch and stick it on a 50kw charger close to work. Netflix and charge. Charging is free in Scotland. I take great pride in only adding 9p of energy a day from my home charger.

I've learned the following to help range:

Pre-heat in the morning/while on charge
Turn the heater down, turn the seat heaters on - the seat heaters are far less energy consuming. I actually prefer it this way to conventional heating.
Set the regen braking to standard and start driving with 1 pedal. I didn't have it on standard for a long time and I'm sure my range was worse.
If you're using sentry mode then you can disable the cameras at specific locations like work/whatever. This helps too.

I also pop out during lunch and stick it on a 50kw charger close to work. Netflix and charge. Charging is free in Scotland. I take great pride in only adding 9p of energy a day from my home charger.
Scotland is becoming more desirable for me to move there. Free charging, 0% loan for EV's. What next? Free lunches after Brexit! and ofcourse the amazing countryside & scenery.

Just need to go to college for 2 years to learn a new language (Joking!!) :p

If possible, I'd suggest pre-heating the battery before the morning drive

I thought the Model 3 doesn't have a battery heater?

Cold weather means battery packs are less efficient, so even if you use no cabin heating your loss efficiency. But once the battery is up to temperature than consumption shouldn't be too bad.

The worst trips are mutliple short trips as these really drain your energy due to multiple 'departure tax' in wasted energy heating up a cold car/battery.

This is what typically I see on our X in a long run in winter. Note the initial sharp drop in charge as the car heats up, but than consumption levels off.

Using the app to 'pre heat' the car when plugged in helps, especially as the app now tells you if the battery heater is on.

Though if you think cold is bad for range wait till you see the effects of rain/standing water.....consumption can easily go up 30-40% even if you slow down, pushing water away from the road requires energy what ever speed your doing!!

33176775914_3e84eb30e6_c_d.jpg

Cold weather means battery packs are less efficient, so even if you use no cabin heating your loss efficiency. But once the battery is up to temperature than consumption shouldn't be too bad.

I'm not convinced of that. I made two trips late last night to go and supercharge. On way out the battery was pre conditioning (not sure exactly what that process is) and on return, I had the benefit of 40kWh of Supercharger thermal delights. Both trips were significantly less efficient than predicted by ABRP for same temp/speed etc parameters, but nowhere I see in ABRP to say headlights on. I agree temp will have an effect, but ABRP already can (should be able to) take that on board. I feel that there is more going on than that. Hopefully its something silly like I've left something turned on that I needn't have.

[edit add]I remembered I did a similar route on Saturday. Just bashed that into ABRP and it was spot on at 275Wh/mile by time I had added some extra weight for a couple of extra passengers. So unless there is something very far out with ABRP temperature model, there is something going on that must account for the ~42Wh/mile discrepancy - headlights/AP/NOA maybe?

Last edited:
We are getting efficiencies far below what even abetterrouteplanner.com estimates for even worse temperature and road conditions.

I did two trips late last night (so no traffic) at 65mph to/from Fleet Supercharger from M3 J4, Teslafi logged 328 Wh/Mile (LR AWD) both ways. Coming back was shorter distance and I do not believe I had any heat on, although TeslaFi recons the fan started running after a few miles.

On way out, battery was pre conditioning. Planning in ABRP against actual return journey, I put min recorded temp (4.5C, actually averaged 5.5) into ABRP but I cannot get worse than 308Wh/mile, thats headwind and 10% reduction for rain which it was not as it was dry and no headwind. If I put in actual conditions, ABRP recons 286Wh/mile. So ABRP is 13% more optimistic than actual and that is with ABRP being recognised as being slightly pessimistic.

I've not tracked down any correlation to what may be causing this. I followed the car this morning over a 19 mile trip, 30 miles used, 350Wh/mile. Car was pre conditioned, so Wh/mile is only driving, not warming the car up. Easy trip, some time spent in queues. Nothing as a driver I would say felt unusual. Got 350Wh/mile, as planned 244Wh/mile with worse conditions than actual. 85% down to 75% battery. Tesla navigation didn't even plan that much range drop it reckoned arrival with approx 79%. Looks like we are not achieving the estimates that both ABRP and Tesla sat nav are predicting.

Not helped by no way to home charge at the moment, so living off superchargers.

The better route planner efficiency is a reference number, presumably from ~20 degC, warmed car at a constant 65mph. From that it then accounts for hills, temp, weather etc? Its not what you see in your car? is it?

Perhaps find a long flat empty road you can use cruise at for 5 miles and check what you are getting in car then? I've not done many miles myself yet, so this is all speculation for me.

The better route planner efficiency is a reference number, presumably from ~20 degC, warmed car at a constant 65mph. From that it then accounts for hills, temp, weather etc? Its not what you see in your car? is it?

I've probably mis understood. But i'll just say what I think you may be questioning.

As you say, ABRP has a reference value for some set condition. It then has data from its fleet that, from what I understand they have done to determine charge curves (obviously not applicable here), is used to build a model that it can apply to different routes and other parameters, temp, weather, weight etc... I would hope that this model is then validated against the fleet. As I understood, ABRP is pretty good and if anything, is slightly pessimistic in its estimates, which is what I would prefer.

However, modelling in ABRP a sample of several actual trips recorded from TeslaFi during late evening (so minimal stop/start) gives wildly differing results to what I expected. Adjusting ABRP for actual temp, additional weight etc (but no headlights) to match actual conditions came in at 286Wh/mile well under the actual driven Wh/mile (328). So well out.

What also surprised me is comparison vs very similar trip a few days earlier (Saturday), where I got 275Wh/mile on a slightly less optimal (extra junction on M3) route, with higher average speed and my first drive so I was not as smooth as I am now. Biggest difference was temperature (17.8 out/20in vs 5.5/18.6) with former being better Wh/mile. But going on peoples comments about cold adding 20-30% (330-357) , I guess its in realm of temperature but does not explain ABRP getting it so different when it was pretty spot on with the 275Wh/mile prediction.

So looks like prediction of ABRP not matching reality of 20-30% reduction.

Last edited:
I’ve driven 30 miles but lost 85 over the last 3 days. I think every time you open the app it wakes the car up and that sucks some power. If I can resist, my background losses appear to be a lot less!

true? I don’t know

I've probably mis understood. But i'll just say what I think you may be questioning.

As you say, ABRP has a reference value for some set condition. It then has data from its fleet that, from what I understand they have done to determine charge curves (obviously not applicable here), is used to build a model that it can apply to different routes and other parameters, temp, weather, weight etc... I would hope that this model is then validated against the fleet. As I understood, ABRP is pretty good and if anything, is slightly pessimistic in its estimates, which is what I would prefer.

However, modelling in ABRP a sample of several actual trips recorded from TeslaFi during late evening (so minimal stop/start) gives wildly differing results to what I expected. Adjusting ABRP for actual temp, additional weight etc (but no headlights) to match actual conditions came in at 286Wh/mile well under the actual driven Wh/mile (328). So well out.

What also surprised me is comparison vs very similar trip a few days earlier (Saturday), where I got 275Wh/mile on a slightly less optimal (extra junction on M3) route, with higher average speed and my first drive so I was not as smooth as I am now. Biggest difference was temperature (17.8 out/20in vs 5.5/18.6) with former being better Wh/mile. But going on peoples comments about cold adding 20-30% (330-357) , I guess its in realm of temperature but does not explain ABRP getting it so different when it was pretty spot on with the 275Wh/mile prediction.

So looks like prediction of ABRP not matching reality of 20-30% reduction.
I put a few sample routes through abetterrouteplanner at 0 and 20c and it seems to give a difference of between 6-8% higher Wh/mile for 0c which doesn’t seem like enough to me.

Your 75% efficiency seems right with this cold weather to what I’m getting on average with my trip this morning of 38miles

Thanks to Teslafi and a bit of messing around with my driving style/charge routine (lots of tips on the forum) - I managed to hit my 100% on the regular drive in this morning. Plenty of autopilot use on this run, not much need for the climate control either. And one heck of a traffic jam too......
Commute Efficiency.PNG

Thanks to Teslafi and a bit of messing around with my driving style/charge routine (lots of tips on the forum) - I managed to hit my 100% on the regular drive in this morning. Plenty of autopilot use on this run, not much need for the climate control either. And one heck of a traffic jam too......View attachment 463363

Not quite as impressive but I'm getting similar results - my journey is mainly country roads with a little dual carriageway.

upload_2019-10-7_10-8-56.png

Reactions: ME_UK
I had two good runs today over 20 miles. A 99.4% (224Wh/mile) and a 96.6% (231) for the return. The outward leg looks to have benefited from a nice long downward section on regen, whilst for the return, I had to drive against it. TeslaFi showed an increase in battery SoC for that section.

hi, Dragging up a bit of an old thread, but thought it best use this than start another.

So, only had SR+ Since Friday, but was going on a longer journey today, so this morning, before i left i increased my charge limit to 100%. i had to leave before reaching 100%, but i did get to 99%, but only saw a total milage of 236 Miles, so assume about 238 on a full 100%, which is a bit off of the stated 254Total Range WLTP .

Now i know im not actually going to get 254mi but should i be seeing 254mi when charge to 100% ???

My journey in the end was shorter than originally planned and i done 112mi, but lost 137, in a mix of city (London) driving and 70mph on motorway, so i didn't think was too bad?? (82% i think) is this about what others are seeing??

Thanks.....

i know im not actually going to get 254mi

My suggestion would be to use the Energy : TRIP graph (having put destination into SatNav) and if it says you can get there (and assuming weather isn't sufficiently bad that you need to allow some "extra") then you should be fine. As you drive the TRIP graph will adjust to show a revised Arrival prediction, based on actual consumption, and if that is leaving you with too little contingency (I like to have 20 miles or more) then slow down and/or draft a truck, or plan an extra charging stop. Traffic or roadworks, en route, will help your range, and once you are sure you are going to make it comfortably you can speed up :)

I don't think the Miles Range display is any use at all ... far too difficult to adjust, mentally, for weather etc. Personally I prefer to set it to show %age instead, and then multiple that by my miles-per-percent figure, based on historical journeys that I have made (successfully!)

hi, Dragging up a bit of an old thread, but thought it best use this than start another.

So, only had SR+ Since Friday, but was going on a longer journey today, so this morning, before i left i increased my charge limit to 100%. i had to leave before reaching 100%, but i did get to 99%, but only saw a total milage of 236 Miles, so assume about 238 on a full 100%, which is a bit off of the stated 254Total Range WLTP .

Now i know im not actually going to get 254mi but should i be seeing 254mi when charge to 100% ???

My journey in the end was shorter than originally planned and i done 112mi, but lost 137, in a mix of city (London) driving and 70mph on motorway, so i didn't think was too bad?? (82% i think) is this about what others are seeing??

Thanks.....

You’ll never see 254 miles because Tesla doesn’t use the WLTP rating for the in-car display. It uses the US EPA rating of 240 miles. You won’t get much closer than the 238 miles your car is showing. My display is always on % because that is more meaningful to me.

Reactions: drewpost
This is a repost from the other 'range thread' but significant to the quesion from @Radders

Here's my TeslaFi drive report for last Thursday vs today - only significant difference is the use of the fan during the drive in. In both instances the charge to 90% finished a few minutes before I started the drive, and the car had a 20 minute cabin preheat.

Personally I don't care about keeping the fan on for a few % points - but it was an interesting experiment on range - 5% of battery saved over the 45.5 miles in, 15% more efficient. For the eagle eyed data folks, there was a wind difference, but this morning at least that was working against me.

Regardless of the 'altitude' profile below it was the same route - just polled differently.....

Thursday 7th November Drive.PNG
Tuesday 12th Drive.PNG