Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ rated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not correct. I know what you are thinking of, though. Every other electric car it seems except Tesla does that Guess-O-Meter (TM) method of displaying that range number as an estimate based on past history of the efficiency of how you, specifically have been driving. Tesla does not do that. It's based on the amount of energy that is in there, scaled by a fixed EPA efficiency constant. It takes no account of your past driving habits.

Another reason why you shouldn't display your battery capacity in miles, but rather percent. If you want to know range, you should use the trip planner, because that will actually take into account speed limits, elevation change, etc. Another alternative, although not as accurate for longer trips, would be to use the Energy feature, as that at least predicts future range based on past history.

That's not correct. I know what you are thinking of, though. Every other electric car it seems except Tesla does that Guess-O-Meter (TM) method of displaying that range number as an estimate based on past history of the efficiency of how you, specifically have been driving. Tesla does not do that. It's based on the amount of energy that is in there, scaled by a fixed EPA efficiency constant. It takes no account of your past driving habits.
Seems to work for me, this is this morning, again took delivery March 30th and now 4632 miles.

CD19E781-86C2-459E-AC34-3116D59B01BE.jpeg

Another reason why you shouldn't display your battery capacity in miles, but rather percent. If you want to know range, you should use the trip planner, because that will actually take into account speed limits, elevation change, etc. Another alternative, although not as accurate for longer trips, would be to use the Energy feature, as that at least predicts future range based on past history.

I have also preferred having the batter in percent, mostly because it's analogous to my smart phone which I have more experience with charging, etc. I'm not sure if it is the same but having it display miles seems a bit like having your cell phone battery display how many minutes it can be on. Is it worth doing that and then wondering if you're losing a few min here or there?

I know it's a big investment and new technology so everyone wants to make sure they're not being taken advantage of but I would echo the words of others that suggest strapping in and enjoying the vehicle. If an issue persists over time you can bring it up with the company but try not let it diminish your experience.

I just changed it to Percentage, will give that a try for a while to see how low I can go, been meaning to get down into the 10% range and try a new battery calibration back to 100%. Hopefully I can see the 240 or 241 there.

New SR+ owner about 2 weeks in here.

When I took the delivery of the car, they charged it to 100% with 234 miles.
Since the delivery, I've been consistently getting 211 miles with 90% charge and 199 with 85% charge. Seems pretty consistently with -5 miles range than the rated 240. Yes, it is not a huge difference, but brand new car and 5 mile range drop/difference is kinda not a greatest thing considering I havent hit the battery degradation yet.

Talked to the Tesla chat and was asked to do "power cycle" which he meant...turn car off and wait 5 min and turn it on....idk what it does bc I do that all the time? lol He also told me to schedule an appointment.

Anyone with SR+ showing 5+ mile different calculated mile?
Is running down the battery to 20% and charging going to help?
Or should I take it to SC? just thought that was little to excessive given its just 5 mile rated range difference.

Thanks!

Rated range is not useful at all. I suggest that you set your display to battery percentage and do not worry about miles. Your yearly average will be typically 180-190 miles per full charge at best, considering the weather conditions, your driving habits, elevation, etc.

Just set your daily charging upper limit to 70% (or whatever you need given your commute), and run it down to 30% and cycle within those percentages. For planned long trips, charge it full ahead of time, and for last minute long drives, stop at the supercharger. Point is, don't ponder over miles.

Well, there have been multiple other very long heated threads about rated miles or %. Some people don't have the personality to be able to handle using rated miles, because it freaks them out seeing it move by a little or not equating exactly to physical distance miles traveled, which makes them upset.

Well, there have been multiple other very long heated threads about rated miles or %. Some people don't have the personality to be able to handle using rated miles, because it freaks them out seeing it move by a little or not equating exactly to physical distance miles traveled, which makes them upset.

That's a snide remark if I've ever heard one. Perhaps most of us just like seeing a simple/normalized 0-100 range as to estimated battery capacity? And more importantly, perhaps most of us don't suffer from range anxiety and only think about remaining range when it's necessary?

That's a snide remark if I've ever heard one. Perhaps most of us just like seeing a simple/normalized 0-100 range as to estimated battery capacity? And more importantly, perhaps most of us don't suffer from range anxiety and only think about remaining range when it's necessary?
It's not snide. Rated miles is informative while % isn't. But some people get stressed by how the miles thing behaves, so they would rather just have a % number so they do not have to think about it.
A Model X 60 will have a much lower total range than a Model 3 long range, but they will both blissfully show "100%" with giving no clue that one has only about two thirds of the driving range left of the other.

Reactions: jrcase
In my experience (Model 3 LR, 18,000 miles), rated range will vary as much as 5% even when there is NO physical battery degradation. This is almost entirely due to errors in the estimation algorithm as others have mentioned. There are ways of making the algorithm recalibrate faster, but that doesn't actually do anything besides give you a warm fuzzy :)

report-07032019.png

New SR+ owner about 2 weeks in here.

When I took the delivery of the car, they charged it to 100% with 234 miles.
Since the delivery, I've been consistently getting 211 miles with 90% charge and 199 with 85% charge. Seems pretty consistently with -5 miles range than the rated 240. Yes, it is not a huge difference, but brand new car and 5 mile range drop/difference is kinda not a greatest thing considering I havent hit the battery degradation yet.

Talked to the Tesla chat and was asked to do "power cycle" which he meant...turn car off and wait 5 min and turn it on....idk what it does bc I do that all the time? lol He also told me to schedule an appointment.

Anyone with SR+ showing 5+ mile different calculated mile?
Is running down the battery to 20% and charging going to help?
Or should I take it to SC? just thought that was little to excessive given its just 5 mile rated range difference.

Thanks!
My car has seen way more use than planned when purchase as now the Mrs takes it instead of her SUV if making the 150 mile trip to Nashville. Battery being charged to 90% was showing 214 miles when purchased, but after some hard use and one oops, pulling into super charge with battery showing only 2 miles left, now consistently charges to 216 miles at the 90% cut off. When I charged to TRIP setting right before leaving I stopped the charge at 237 miles to hit the road, so 6,900 miles in 3 months and battery seems to have improved. Love my SR+ more every time I drive it.

Reactions: RobC
Love my energy monitor where I can see my projected range based on my last 30,15, or 5 miles driving. Wanting to not run my battery below 10% when traveling I can look at my distance to supercharger on Navigation screen and compare with current use. Have needed to slow down to a more prudent speed and put cruise control on only once.