Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for any advise. I had a SR+ on order that is due late sept/early oct depending on the EDD of the day. Once the LFP inventory dropped, I paid the $250 and jumped on on a "existing Inventory" thinking I could get it within a week. To my surprise, the "existing inventory" car I just ordered is still weeks out. I am out of a car currently and was pissed I spent $250 to maybe not save any time. Since there were 20+ other local LFP cars still listed on inventory, I chatted with tesla chat and asked if there were any that were actually at my tesla service center now. This is important as I leave town on Monday (30th) for a week. I was told there was an identical car due the 27th and it would be ready for me before then. I asked if she could switch the VIN and she said no need just order the 3rd car and both deposits will be credited. (I took a screen shot of this, BTW) Spoke to my local center on the 26th and they now say the car isn't due until the 28th, but I can't pick it up until it is cleaned and inspected which will take (2) days. I advised them I have an international work trip next week and need the car ASAP or I can't accept delivery. They offer to set up delivery to first thing Monday, so I agree and change my AM flight to PM, which wasn't free, but I just needed to get a damn car. Now about 14 hours before delivery, I get a text that delivery is tentatively pushed until Sept 1st as it is not yet ready. No reason other than it is not ready. I was also told they would not credit the 2nd $250 even though I would told I would be and have proof of that. The cherry on top is I was told if it is ready the 1st, they would only hold it for 3 days, and at this point I may still be out of the country.

Reactions: VivekDr
Looking for any advise. I had a SR+ on order that is due late sept/early oct depending on the EDD of the day. Once the LFP inventory dropped, I paid the $250 and jumped on on a "existing Inventory" thinking I could get it within a week. To my surprise, the "existing inventory" car I just ordered is still weeks out. I am out of a car currently and was pissed I spent $250 to maybe not save any time. Since there were 20+ other local LFP cars still listed on inventory, I chatted with tesla chat and asked if there were any that were actually at my tesla service center now. This is important as I leave town on Monday (30th) for a week. I was told there was an identical car due the 27th and it would be ready for me before then. I asked if she could switch the VIN and she said no need just order the 3rd car and both deposits will be credited. (I took a screen shot of this, BTW) Spoke to my local center on the 26th and they now say the car isn't due until the 28th, but I can't pick it up until it is cleaned and inspected which will take (2) days. I advised them I have an international work trip next week and need the car ASAP or I can't accept delivery. They offer to set up delivery to first thing Monday, so I agree and change my AM flight to PM, which wasn't free, but I just needed to get a damn car. Now about 14 hours before delivery, I get a text that delivery is tentatively pushed until Sept 1st as it is not yet ready. No reason other than it is not ready. I was also told they would not credit the 2nd $250 even though I would told I would be and have proof of that. The cherry on top is I was told if it is ready the 1st, they would only hold it for 3 days, and at this point I may still be out of the country.
Not possible to wait for the car until you get back from the trip? What a nice “me gift” upon your return..

Those guys seem to be willing to say anything, regardless of consequences.

So sorry to hear this my friend. Tesla has a fairly strict policy about not holding more than 3 days. However, someone else might be able to pick it up for you. They will need power of attorney and a copy of your ID. I remember reading this somewhere on this website and you can talk to your SA or SC to confirm this.

Ordered an LFP 8/27. Got the vin immediately. Just now got a text saying delivery is tentatively scheduled for 9/4. They’ll reach out if things change. Shows up on my account page as well.
Hi, I ordered one of the two white M3 LFP 19 inchers available in the Metro DC area last 8/28. Like you a VIN was provided immediately, a date range was 8/31 - 9/6 for the delivery. Interestingly the SA who reached out to me is from Las Vegas. I'm curious if there is a hand off since I'm taking delivery either in Tysons Corner VA or Rockville MD.

I did not go through the usual M3 order lines; I was just looking at available M3 inventories last 8/27, found about 7 available in DMV and decided to just go for it!

Are you planning to invest in a home charger?

So sorry to hear this my friend. Tesla has a fairly strict policy about not holding more than 3 days. However, someone else might be able to pick it up for you. They will need power of attorney and a copy of your ID. I remember reading this somewhere on this website and you can talk to your SA or SC to confirm this.
looking into that now... I even offered to come by and pay for the car tomorrow am and pick up paperwork and just leave it until I get back. Was told its too much liability for them.

looking into that now... I even offered to come by and pay for the car tomorrow am and pick up paperwork and just leave it until I get back. Was told its too much liability for them.
BTWs the Tesla order support number 510-249-3100 has the only helpful employees I have found thus far. He is trying to find me a solution. Call them if you have a garbage SA / SC like me.

• Informative
Reactions: RogerMc
They said they will likely only hold for (3) days.... no return flight yet, but likely longer than (3) days from the 1st.

The one LFP person who would actually benefit from being scheduled on the 3rd or 4th is the one person I’ve seen that gets scheduled for the 1st. The one thing working in your favor at this point is there is a reasonable chance Tesla itself will have to postpone your pick-up again.

I had the same situation as far as ending up with 1 $100 order and 2 more $250 orders. But I had a great SA, though, and she transferred the desired car onto my original $100 order, and canceled the other 2 orders and the charges off my credit card.

There "has" to be a 2170 battery shortage. Tesla likely makes the worst profit margin on M3 SR+ so it is understandable that they would prioritize the higher margin vehicles. Crummy and a bummer, but understandable.

Getting a secret shipment of LFP batteries from China to get some more M3 SR+ to market is better than not offering a choice to M3 SR+ reservation holders I suppose. Does put the reservation holder in a tough spot trying to make a good decision with very limited data.

In the end, we're talking a out Tesla here and Tesla works in mysterious ways. So my opinions could be way off base.
Ordered LFP inventory 08/27 with VIN Immediately but when I called carlsbad delivery center yesterday 08/28 they said my car was still in production and they dont have an idea yet when mine is coming. Weather the car is built already, built but waiting on sticker/software update I dont know and Carlsbad delivery center couldnt provide me with info. Any thoughts ? Experience ?
I almost ordered the LFP a few days age, I have a SR + on order since 6/2 at Carlsbad. but i have only a 110 v outlet in a carport and the very helpful SA from LaJolla told me it has to be charged 100%once a week. AND those are still being made and would not arrive for 2 to 3+weeks since my EDD has been steady at 6/18 to 6/30 she advised to pass on the LPP and wait for my original order. Hope this helps, Cheers

OK I called Buena Park dealership and talked to a guy who really seemed to know his stuff, but at the same time there was a lot he told me that didn’t fit well with earlier info. First of all I let him know I was calling about my car which is one of the lfp battery cars — and he corrected me and said these batteries are CATL batteries rather than lfp. I didn’t want to get stuck on this point so I just rolled with it. I told him that these cars were getting delayed, presumably because of the new stickers and a firmware update that were needed, and he corrected me again: the cars are actually delayed because Tesla needs government approval to start using these batteries in the U.S. Tesla is pretty sure approval will be made by the end of the week, but they really don’t know what exact day that will be. The sales guy mentioned that Tesla has a strong idea of which day it will be, but won’t even share that information with the sales representatives.

On an individual note the sales guy said that my car has been completely prepped and is ready to go pending the government approval. Of course if everything he said before this was BS, then my car’s availability could also be BS as well. If it was BS, though, the guy still deserves an Oscar or something, because he pretty much convinced me…
CATL is the Chinese Battery manufacturer. So h knows less than you

+1 They will not hold car that is on the lot for more than 3 days. I ran into this situation before and their system will literally auto remove you from that VIN in 3 days. I avoided this by escalating in Tesla and they held it for me an additional day. As far as order fees, dispute it with your CC company. Usually, they Tesla won't bother fighting it and give you the refund. Put the CC to work for you.

Reactions: RichardMa0830
Still not sure what to do, I have two vins with delivery on both scheduled for sep 4th. One is my original order from 6/30 white with all standard options and other is my new order silver with lfp battery. I would like the silver over the white but I don't want to let a color be the deciding factor. Not sure what to do.