Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a standard range model 3 on order here in the UK and I’m sorting a few things before it arrives ie mats USB hub SSD drive etc.
It’s regards the SSD drive that I would like some advice. I plan to partition the drive to enable me to have my music stored and my dashcam footage. I know I need a folder TeslaCam so all okay I hear. But what about the sentry footage? Is that in the same folder as the dashcam or does it need it’s only folder and if it does do I have to partition the SSD into three sections?
Appreciate any advice

Regards the music files stored on the SSD what format do they have to be?

Undocumented | TeslaTap

Music Formats – While only MP3, MP4 and AAC (without DRM) are documented, it also supports AIFF, OGG, WAV, and FLAC (16 and 24 bits up to 176 kHz or more) files. Version 7 and older had undocumented support for WMA and lossless WMA via USB, but a bug causes dropouts in WMA files. WMA has since been dropped in Version 8. AIFF format supports 16-bit, but not the less common 24-bit format. See ‘USB’ below for flash drive formats.

The best audio quality occurs when using a lossless format such as AIFF and FLAC via the USB connection. See more at USB Flash Drives for Music.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trevor EV

Undocumented | TeslaTap

Music Formats – While only MP3, MP4 and AAC (without DRM) are documented, it also supports AIFF, OGG, WAV, and FLAC (16 and 24 bits up to 176 kHz or more) files. Version 7 and older had undocumented support for WMA and lossless WMA via USB, but a bug causes dropouts in WMA files. WMA has since been dropped in Version 8. AIFF format supports 16-bit, but not the less common 24-bit format. See ‘USB’ below for flash drive formats.

The best audio quality occurs when using a lossless format such as AIFF and FLAC via the USB connection. See more at USB Flash Drives for Music.
Thank you Tam that helps a great deal. I will be storing the files on a SSD and its good that it will play AIFF

Reactions: Tam
I don't know what temperature extremes you get in Bedworth, but select an SSD whose operating temperatures cover the range of temps you expect. Remember if you're using Sentry Mode in the summer, the SSD will be operating while the car is baking in the sun.

I don't know what temperature extremes you get in Bedworth, but select an SSD whose operating temperatures cover the range of temps you expect. Remember if you're using Sentry Mode in the summer, the SSD will be operating while the car is baking in the sun.

"Baking in the sun" :D In Bedworth :D:D:D:D:D:D
I suppose that could happen at some point.
In which case OP let me know and I'll be up there with my beach gear.

This is a very helpful site which should answer some questions: Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more! – Tesla Dashcam Guide

I think the whole ssd and temperature argument is overrated. I've had my sandisk extreme ssd for almost a year now, and it's been frozen in the winter, and experienced being "baked" in the southern summer, with no problems. And the samsung T5 that everyone recommends has even better temperature specs. The people who usually throw out the ssd/temperature arguments aren't the people that own them.

Hi Charley, temperatures here go to a max 32c in the summer (for a few days) to a -5 in the winter. But most of the time summer is around 23c and winter 3c