Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ST3 vehicle tabs sticker shock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you go into a vehicle licensing office? Or just try the online renew?
Last year I was changing a custom plate before my tags were due and the clerk suggested I pay the next years registration then to save the increase that was hitting later that summer.

The more I think about, the more likely it is we are just paying for other people's lacking math skills. I bet most who voted for 0.8% increase assumed that means the bill will be less than 1% higher, rather than 300% higher. Maybe that will teach then to stop voting for any tax increases if they cannot do the math.

The more I think about, the more likely it is we are just paying for other people's lacking math skills. I bet most who voted for 0.8% increase assumed that means the bill will be less than 1% higher, rather than 300% higher. Maybe that will teach then to stop voting for any tax increases if they cannot do the math.

Or people that can't afford a car, or a very nice car, and voted to tax people that have more money than them to provide public transportation.

Or people that can't afford a car, or a very nice car, and voted to tax people that have more money than them to provide public transportation.
Maybe, but unless they have no car at all, they will still see their bill go up, and if you drive a 5000 car, $50 may shock them more than $500 for someone who drives a $50K car.

And all that money is supposed to be for the public transportation project for 2036, if it comes in on schedule (when was the last government 20 year project that did)! We'll have self driving cars by then, which may make public transportation irrelevant.

Those that voted yes have no right to complain. And there are some Senate bills to try and "fix it" but the Sound Transit machine will fight it.

So you don't think it was manipulative at all?

That the tax is based on fair market place value of the car, and that the language used was easily understandable as to how much the fee would increase?

I read things for it, and then I read things against it. Based on what I read, and my own feelings I did vote for it. I'm a strong proponent of public transportation for lots of different reasons. So my nature inclination is to vote for it even if it costs me a little bit of money. Autonomous cars are not a slam dunk solution so I'm not going to give my wallet the easy out.

Fast forward to now, and I feel like I was duped. Now it's not that I can't do math, but I just didn't do the math. I can't explain why I didn't do the math on it. I have no idea what was going through my head in that moment.

Now my one vote wouldn't have changed things because where I voted we voted against it. So at least my neighbors corrected my stupidity. I guess they were worried about the fee increase on their minivans, and midlife crisis Porsche Boxsters.

Where I just wanted an easy way to get to Seattle even if it was years from now.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Now my one vote wouldn't have changed things because where I voted we voted against it. So at least my neighbors corrected my stupidity. I guess they were worried about the fee increase on their minivans, and midlife crisis Porsche Boxsters.
It did pass in Snohomish by 51%, 98,495 for, 94,619 against. That was of the 360,487 total ballots counted - so 167,373 of your neighbors did not take the effort to choose yes or no and they certainly should not be complaining.

I voted for the increase, and I am willing to accept the higher rates. I think that public transportation is an important addition to the Puget Sound area, one we have been lacking for a long time. I've been to places with great mass transit (DC, New York, Japan) and used it extensively and I think it is a much more cost effective means of moving people around. In particular, since I live in Federal Way, I want the light rail to reach down to here and further south to Tacoma. I want to use it to get to the airport and to downtown Seattle.

We also own very expensive cars. We, in general, can afford an extra couple hundred, or even a thousand, dollars a year to help the region. I know I'm in the top 10 percentage of earners, and I feel it is my privilege to use those resources to better my community - not just myself. My choice of a Tesla helps the community in a number of ways: fewer hydrocarbons, less fuel imported, buying American, supporting a startup business with great ideas. It also helps me, of course, since it is an amazing car. But I wouldn't have purchased it if I couldn't afford it and afford some of the consequences of owning such a high end car - like taxes.

Now - I do think that the depreciation scale needs to be more realistic.

• Informative
Reactions: melindav
Public transit done well is great and I have lived for years without a car. A vague plan for 20 years is crazy. It should have been a firm 10 year plan with a major review after 5 years. I am fine to pay a "bit extra" for public transport.

What's wrong with financing it and letting it pay for itself through increased economical activity (more jobs, more spending, more taxes collected without having to raise the tax %)? Oh wait, I know, the investors or banks would require a solid plan with some milestone guarantees. Waving your hands about some public good in 20 years just won't cut it. This way they get the money and don't have to do anything at all for it. In 20 years the people who took the money will no longer be there, and the new guys will just blame the old guys but won't let go of the revenue stream. Notice how this new tax increase does not automatically expire in 2036.

So you don't think it was manipulative at all?

That the tax is based on fair market place value of the car, and that the language used was easily understandable as to how much the fee would increase?

I read things for it, and then I read things against it. Based on what I read, and my own feelings I did vote for it. I'm a strong proponent of public transportation for lots of different reasons. So my nature inclination is to vote for it even if it costs me a little bit of money. Autonomous cars are not a slam dunk solution so I'm not going to give my wallet the easy out.

Very honest reply. I am not a citizen, so can't vote, but I would have been fooled the same way.

What really irritates me is the total amateurism of our Transit organisation.
- The west seattle-ballard rail was voted in and out every year for so long. it never sticks, on decision or another. At some point they started buying properties, then had to sell them back, and refund car license taxes.
- The way HOV lanes are handled (many double payments, complex rules on 405, the fact that you need a new to use the 405 line a few years after rolling out transponders for 520, etc.... )

I lost trust in this organisation, so of course I am not happy seeing the steep increase (I dodge this year's by literally 2 days, my tabs are expiring tomorrow !!!) as I don't trust it will give us anything.

With the amount of push back these days, i expect this to be repelled next year.

Now, when I look at our Transit system,
I was talking to a coworker about this earlier this week and he reminded me of the monorail that when he was living in Seattle in the earlier to mid 2000s, he'd paid into via car tags for two years with no monorail development in the end.

Did he forget to mention that they refunded the taxes when the project was cancelled ? They bought then resold properties for a profit, and the year after that the license tabs were much much cheaper. Not sure (probably not) it was a 1-1 refund, but still

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Did he forget to mention that they refunded the taxes when the project was cancelled ? They bought then resold properties for a profit, and the year after that the license tabs were much much cheaper. Not sure (probably not) it was a 1-1 refund, but still
no, he actually said something like "I think we got a partial refund back... wait did we? I should ask my wife I can't remember..." ;)