Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret FSD pre-purchase in a major way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you want it ahead of FSD through? The only reason HW3 exists is to give the additional computing power and redundancy required for FSD. I really doubt there’d be any noticeable difference in the interface just clicking around without FSD engaged.
I would just like to know that I’m getting something in return for my money other than a promise. Would just make me feel better about the purchase. I know it’s ridiculous.

HW2.X runs most of the cameras at low resolution and low framerates, due to limited processing power. From what I recall, the HW2.X neural network runs only one camera at full 1280x960 resolution @ 25fps and runs the rest of the cameras at 1/2 to 1/4 resolution and lower framerates. Elon has suggested that the HW3 neural network will run all 8 cameras at the full resolution and framerate (1280x960 @ 30fps). Even absent new features, I expect processing all cameras at their full resolution and frame rate will improve AP performance, blind spot detection, windshield wiper performance, safety, etc, by some amount.
Agreed.

Reactions: preilly44
Lot of drama on this thread, ha ha. Anywho, I thought that this section from the Tesla owners site was interesting....

Blindspot Monitoring
To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware.

Tesla cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras, providing a 360-degree view of surrounding cars. “

My new Model 3 (delivered Jan 2019) has the red lane line display functionality....

Lot of drama on this thread, ha ha. Anywho, I thought that this section from the Tesla owners site was interesting....

Blindspot Monitoring
To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware.

Tesla cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras, providing a 360-degree view of surrounding cars. “

My new Model 3 (delivered Jan 2019) has the red lane line display functionality....

So does literally every model 3 ever made.... (and every S/X made after October 2016)

They can release it but the NHTSA can force them to remove it. I'm of the opinion that adding stop sign and stop light recognition to EAP would make the car less safe. If it does then the NHTSA will make regulations banning those features.

If they release that with the same maturity as any of the other features they have released, I bet anyone, that there will be so many crashes and bad reviews everywhere. Just imagine your car driving off at a red light, because it thought it went green...

Best I can think of, is stopping the car at a red light and you have to make it go again, once it's green. But the amount of phantom braking could still be a big problem. There are some cities where I am unsure, which traffic light applies to me. And I don't confuse bridges for cars.

Always a good principle to pay down your loans, it helps to reduce the outstanding balance which includes principal.

That depends on many factors- it's certainly not always a good idea.

For example folks who could've paid cash for their car, but got a loan at ~2% or less, would never want to pay the loan down any faster than they have to... (same for those who bought homes that way) since they can get a better return on the money elsewhere, and it means they're paying the loan later with cheaper money due to inflation.

Reactions: preilly44 and Dana1
Meaning legislative approval and such. If it doesn’t hit Texas till 2022 does that mean I have to wait till then for the upgrade. I’d rather pay the 5k as a down payment on a brand new one in that case.
Self driving cars are already legal in Texas.
I believe that it’s NHTSA regulatory approval for Tesla “FSD” (ie. driver supervision by consumers) that is necessary. Personally I don’t think they’ll approve it.

Self driving cars are already legal in Texas.
I believe that it’s NHTSA regulatory approval for Tesla “FSD” (ie. driver supervision by consumers) that is necessary. Personally I don’t think they’ll approve it.

I don't think NHTSA approval would be needed for driver supervised FSD?

Driver Assistance Technologies

That's the NHTSA on all the current driver assist features out there today... in all cases they didn't "approve" them before they were legal to deploy- no such requirement exists.

They either:

Recommend them as a good idea.
State they don't have any guidance on the feature yet (but it's totally legal to buy and use)
or they REQUIRE them after a certain date (backup cameras as of may 2018 for example)

Right now being able to operate self-driving cars is a patchwork of state-by-state rules... varying from "We haven't even looked into the idea, nothing on the books" to "as long as it follows the same rules a regular driver/car has to it's legal RIGHT NOW"

It looks like Elon has just announced FSD will be available by the end of 2019, but regulatory approval may still hold up its release.
Tesla will release fully self-driving cars in 2019 — with a big asterisk

Much like he announced it'd be available by the end of 2018.

After announcing it'd be available by the end of 2017.

Meanwhile the promise of a completely autonomous, cross-country trip in a Tesla is gonna be coming up on its third anniversary soon with no such trip having happened.

I don't doubt there'll be SOME FSD features (maybe sign recognition) this year along with HW3.

Level 5 FSD? No chance in hell.

What seems to me difficult is to mix self driven car and human driven car. It is 2 different world. Also it would work better if cars could communicate with each other. It is something that planes do with a transponder. So in case of risk of collision they will not aggravate the situation.