Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starving for News...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel a bit miffed about the lack of news about the Model S? We're regaled almost on a daily basis about the Roadster, how it won the Efficiency Race in Monte Carlo and all, but the news about the Model S has gone strangely dark. I think the hype about the Roadster is a run-up to the IPO, and realistically, no one wants to invest in a company that doesn't have a product, but come on, those of us who took the leap of faith, spent bucks to reserve the Model S and are eagerly awaiting spending even more when our vehicles are produced deserve more than we're getting in the interim. There are a lot of production auto companies in line with electric vehicles, all in competition with one another, so if Tesla wants to compete, the very least they owe us is proof they are serious!

Eager to hear news? Yes.

Miffed? No.

I think the hype about the Roadster is a run-up to the IPO

I don't think the Roadster news is hype. It's a real EV, being driven by real people, setting real world records...one can hardly call that hype.

Companies are very careful to not put out news that might appear to be influencing potential investors during an IPO. It could open them up to a world of problems. Besides, I don't even see news about the Monte Carlo on Tesla's website.

no one wants to invest in a company that doesn't have a product,

Tesla has a product, and it has sold pretty well, don't you think?

but come on, those of us who took the leap of faith, spent bucks to reserve the Model S and are eagerly awaiting spending even more when our vehicles are produced deserve more than we're getting in the interim.

Patience, grasshopper :). You knew when you put your reservation in that you'd have a long wait, right? They're in the middle of an IPO filing...relative silence (particularly regarding upcoming products) while the filing is under review is not uncommon.

Expected release is just under two years out. I expect they'll announce a factory location soon (within a month or so). But other than that, they're still working on a million details, both large and small. There's not a whole lot of substantial news they can probably give us.

We just have to be patient. I know how you feel though, since I check both this website and Tesla's website at least daily...

One day, Tesla will post a 3-minute marketing video of the Model S driving around, and we'll drool over it for a month until the next tidbit is released....

Todd has hit the nail on the head. There are enforced silences during the various phases of the IPO and there is also only so much they can say about progress when they are busy sorting out the finer details. I believe we will hear more soon, but in the meantime just be safe in the knowledge that each successive wave of Roadsters is an improvement on the last, which can only be good for the Model S.

I'd just like to add this. I'm sure during the beginning of the Roadster's development until release there where similar periods like this where they didn't release any information. It is something that most people who put money down for the Roadster were aware of and it is the same with the Model S. As has been said, when Tesla can give information and they have information to give, they will release it when they feel is a good time.

-Shark2k

Impatient...

I guess I am impatient to hear more about the Model S, with the Roadster garnering most of the news lately. I would like to think that it's an indication that an IPO is imminent, the more capitalization Tesla gets, the better for all of us that either already drive ZEVs or are waiting for our chance to do so! Thanks to the other posters on this forum, you make me feel less anxious.
BTW, I get a lot of news, at least news about the Roadster, on FaceBook, and I have to give props to my rep, Matt Zatto, for keeping me in the loop, however loose a loop it is.

OwlsCat, I think you need to look at it in reverse -- it's the absence of Model S news that is good news for us reservation holders. At this point, the only "news" they could give us would be bad news (development delays, problems with design etc.), and as a soon-to-be public company, they'd have to let us know as soon as feasible if there were going to be a significant delay in the production of the Model S. So, as strange as it sounds, the less I hear from Tesla on the Model S, the better I feel because it means they're working hard on getting everything ready for production, and there is no bad news for them to deliver to us.

BTW, I get a lot of news, at least news about the Roadster, on FaceBook, and I have to give props to my rep, Matt Zatto, for keeping me in the loop, however loose a loop it is.

How do you get updates on the Roadster on Facebook? I became a "fan" of Tesla, but never get updates from them there. Are you "friends" with Matt Zatto?

Now that Tesla amended their IPO filing and mentioned 2012 as production for the Model S, does that mean things have been delayed? They said late 2011 for the Signature Series previously. I always figured it'd be 2012 anyway.

I get almost daily news on FB about the Roadster, with photos and sometimes video, and I think all I did originally is sign up to be a "fan". I've written some comments, and e-mailed Matt Zatto with questions, but aside from that, I've done nothing else special to get the news.

OwlsCat, I agree with some of your points regarding little communication on Model S. It would be great if following factory selection more information and photos are provided (ribbon cutting, tooling, production phases).

One key point left out from prior posts on this thread is during the Roadster rollout Martin was very involved communicating on the blog. Additionally, there were more blog entries from various interested parties and perspectives. The best we can do is to continue reading and posting comments, links and engaging in discussions like this.

I hear ya Owl... My deposit is still in place, but I'm a lot more skeptical than I was a year ago. It always "seems" like the Model S i moving farther away instead of closer, and with more established companies rolling out their own EVs, it's kind of hard to anticipate a car that's likely to much less unique at its unveiling than originally thought.

I'm sure we'd all be hearing a lot more news if it weren't for this IPO. Let them get that out of the way and see what happens.

I know it's frustrating, but even with the likes of the Leaf coming into the market, they are still not in the same class of the Model S. You wouldn't say a Nissan Versa is in the same class as a BMW 5 Series, this is just the EV equivalent.

Tesla may lose those customers who signed up for "an EV at any price", but I don't see the Leaf being a candidate for a family's primary car like the Model S could be. If Nissan get to market with an Infiniti that has Model S range, that's a different matter - but we don't know that yet.

Tesla may lose those customers who signed up for "an EV at any price"

I've nothing to back this obviously, but I'd be willing to bet that's a large percentage of depositors.

All those preorders weren't from diehard Tesla fans that followed them on the blogs and forums -- they were people who saw a "normal-looking" EV and thought "hey, I can have my cake and eat it too!".

Now they can have many flavors of cake and have it very soon.

I tend to believe it's a mixed bag of depositors with a larger percentage of us diehard TM fans making up the bulk of Model S depositors.

dpeilow has a good point with regard to comparing Model S and Leaf. The vehicles appeal to different tastes. However, there is that segment not too concerned with styling and range differences. That however might be a smaller group. Siry had an excellent article regarding the Leaf. Darryl Siry's Blog: The Problem with EV Range Figures

It is also possible many Leaf depositors are not as familiar with range issues to the extent many of us who follow this and other forums are. How many Roadsters do you see stranded because the battery is drained? Perhaps not too many for you guys on the west coast where Roadsters are more prevalent. Because the Leaf has less range and some of those buyers are not going to be as familiar with range issues, we may see some stranded on the road more often. The downside is these incidents may give EVs bad press. It would be wise of Nissan to setup presentations for Leaf owners where they learn about range and recharging. Losing one's battery charge on a cell phone or laptop cannot be compared to being miles from home in the middle of the night with kids in the car and a dead battery pack.

Timing is very important to Tesla. Not so much for us early adopters, but to the mass, EV uninitiated public. When the Leaf, Volt and who knows what else start popping up, those people will think, "oh wow, electric cars, how cool, I think I'll trade in my Prius (or Bimmer) for one of those."

For Tesla to bust the game wide open and shame the big automakers, they need to get a lot of cars on the road and their story needs to be told in every town and hamlet or they may come off as some Johnny-come-lately, small time, West Coast EV car company jumping on the Volt/Leaf band wagon. Branding and perception are crucial in capturing the attention of anything, especially the automotive world.

I sure hope that Tesla has some significant marketing plan to build demand, create the magic aura and make Elon Musk look like the most influential person in the automobile world since Henry Ford. The Model S should be to this century what the Model T was to the last century. If the masses are asses and only a small group of visionaries, like us ;-) really get what's going on here, I'm afraid the Model S will end up being a sad little footnote in automotive history.

I hope to be wrong about every word I just wrote, but I've been in media and advertising for 40 years and I'm feeling a little queasy at the moment. I'm a creative type, not a marketing "Ad Man" but I've seen many a great idea die on the vine due to bad timing or hubris on the part of the inventors who believe that their idea will spontaneously create a grass roots movement that will balloon into a groundswell and soon cascade over the world like a tidal wave, only to see it trickle down the drain while they sat and waited for the world to beat a path to their door.

I was shocked last month when I became Model S reservation holder P 1712. I was fully expecting to be closer to P 17,120. Can you tell that the silence is making me me mental? I normally have the patience of Job. My friends think I'm coming undone over this and I may be. Tesla has to win over the world. They just must, that's all. Time to start spreading the news. Word of mouth was fine for the Roadster but mass production is a different beast. If I am wrong, I will happily admit that I was a whiny, little coward who had faith in Tesla's engineering brilliance and vision, but sold them short when it came to their world view and business plan. I have never wanted to be more wrong and I'm totally willing to look like a fool by crying "the sky if falling" prematurely. :eek:

I was shocked last month when I became Model S reservation holder P 1712. I was fully expecting to be closer to P 17,120.

Really?

Frankly, I personally think 1712 reservations this far out is impressive! Virtually no advertising yet...very little marketing from Tesla itself...a large reservation fee...2 years out...the price of the Model S...and still a lot of details not yet released...

Add all that up and to me, 1712 is quite respectable!

Todd,

Thank you very much for talking me down. You make some excellent points. You made me notice that I failed to consider one of my main arguments, no advertising. Boy, I sure hope they do some. NO, I'm not going to panic again. I should never have taken Sudafed on top of my Ritalin last night. I think I had a mild stroke but the Ambien and Xanax have me feeling right as rain again. Hey, what do you guys think of dropping an LS7 Corvette engine under the boot of a Model S? Maybe put it inline with the motor, kind of like they did in the big Lexus "hybrid." I'm kidding. It would be strictly for charging the batteries, of course.:biggrin:

Tick tock, tick tock. This is what happens when there is no news.