Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not very well thought out considering if it’s a state based tax and last time I checked, cars can travel interstate. If they actually used the money to fix the roads it would be a different story.
Just wait until they suggest that EV charge operators share metadata from charging infrastructure… can see that coming..
That would get way to complicated, especially when home charging is considered

Reactions: dronus
That would get way to complicated, especially when home charging is considered
Or the government tries to over reach into overseas tech companies again to try and get them to supply user data (kilometers) or put in legislation to fine them if they don’t.
Didn’t work that well last time they tried to censor social media and Elon just sent them the poo emoji haha.

Or the government tries to over reach into overseas tech companies again to try and get them to supply user data (kilometers) or put in legislation to fine them if they don’t.

That kind of thing isn’t needed, at least not in NSW, where odometer readings are taken every year by a mechanic at an Authorised Inspection Station as part of the process to get your pink slip (road worthiness inspection) to re-register your vehicle. So the government knows exactly how far you have driven in the past 12 months - EV or not - and has done so for decades.

No need for data tracking, odometer photos, metadata collection or any other government intervention which people will try to circumvent. Simple is often the best.

That kind of thing isn’t needed, at least not in NSW, where odometer readings are taken every year by a mechanic at an Authorised Inspection Station as part of the process to get your pink slip (road worthiness inspection) to re-register your vehicle. So the government knows exactly how far you have driven in the past 12 months - EV or not - and has done so for decades.

No need for data tracking, odometer photos, metadata collection or any other government intervention which people will try to circumvent. Simple is often the best.
Ohh i didnt know about that.. Over here in SA there is nothing like that. Some cars have rust holes big enough in them they can also be used like fred flindstones car haha. ODO probably taken if the car has to get inspected coming in from interstate, but there is no routine checking.

Reactions: paulp
Ohh i didnt know about that.. Over here in SA there is nothing like that. Some cars have rust holes big enough in them they can also be used like fred flindstones car haha. ODO probably taken if the car has to get inspected coming in from interstate, but there is no routine checking.
A few years ago I brought a brand new audi in from Victoria to SA, and the brains at Regency Park spent an hour inspecting it whilst waving all the old rust buckets through.

A few years ago I brought a brand new audi in from Victoria to SA, and the brains at Regency Park spent an hour inspecting it whilst waving all the old rust buckets through.
Yeah they are strange out there. In the early 90s I drove my quite new Holden VL turbo over from Sydney and they didn’t like the FE2 suspension, racing momo steering wheel or suspiciously wide tyres but because I put Culture beats “Mr Vain” up loud on the new 6 deck pioneer cd player he let it slide. The 90s were good like that 👌

Other than you don't have to do it for the first number of year of ownership...or has that changed to even brand new cars need a pink slip yearly?

I’m pretty sure you only need a pink slip if the car is over 5 years old. So while it would work for a lot of cars, it is going to miss many, especially EVs as they tend to be newer.

Yes, for new light vehicles, no pink slip required in the first 5 years. So the RMS will need to introduce a reporting system for cars under 5 years old. But there’s little point trying to game the system by falsely reporting odometer readings during that time, because it will catch up with you after 5 years and you’d get a big RUC bill and possibly an audit and fine.

And if you sold the car earlier, the odometer reading will need to be reported upon transfer, and the buyer would insist on seeing the correct number being recorded, otherwise they will end up paying your RUC, and no buyer would be that stupid. So same deal.

Still waiting for the High Court judgement, but in the meantime the Victorian Ombudsman has had things to say:

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
Still waiting for the High Court judgement, but in the meantime the Victorian Ombudsman has had things to say:

The issue raised by the Ombudsman may be difficult to resolve, especially for hybrids.

Reactions: Hairyman