Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming this isn’t a cynical comment 😄 the judgment(s) have already been written by the justices. The High Court won’t announce a judgment will be handed down until all justices have completed their work. Each justice can write their own judgment, or two or more justices can agree to write a joint concurring or dissenting judgement, or the court might write a unanimous judgment.

Each judge will find in favour of either the plaintiff or the defendant, and whichever side gets the majority in their favour wins the case. It can go from 7-0 to 0-7 or anything inbetween.

HC judgments aren’t things that are just dumped online, uncontrolled, with no explanation from the court itself. This case has potentially profound Constitutional consequences for taxation law in this country.

Sorry for the dry and overly serious response…
I thought they just all gathered at qantas chairmans lounge and argued it out

Today, the High Court, by majority, held that s 7(1) of the Zero and Low Emission Vehicle
Distance-based Charge Act 2021 (Vic) ("the ZLEV Charge Act") is invalid on the basis that it
imposes a duty of excise within the meaning of s 90 of the Constitution. Section 90 relevantly
provides that the power of the Commonwealth Parliament "to impose duties of customs and of
excise" is "exclusive" of the powers of the States and self-governing Territories.

Yes, and that's exactly where this levy needs to come from, the federal government. The vast majority of us do not object to paying our fair share. It was the insidious ways with which the state of Victoria tried to do this that was causing offence - and thereby thwarting all other states from going down similarly shady roads, so to speak.

And they overturned their own verdict from 1973 in doing so. Chapeau to the high court judges!

Today is a good day!

watch this space! Of course in time the Federal Govt will introduce one to protect the revenue base.
Undoubtedly.
But it always made far more sense at the federal level given that's where the fuel tax is also collected.

Hopefully this means the federal govt will undertake a full review and consider all aspects.

Eg. Additional GST/LCT collected on EVs (still at a premium price to ICE), GST on electricity.

Last edited:
Having skimmed the judgement, final result was 4-3 in favour of the Applicant (ie. Vanderstock)

There are 5 different reasons/rationale in the judgement (which is quite unusual) - 4 are from individual judges, 3 against, but thankfully the first judgement from Chief Justice Kiefel, and Justices Gageler and Gleeson tipped the balance numerically.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: OzVic and David G
Well I was wrong 😄 so it‘s a good thing I‘m not a lawyer 🤣

But a 4-3 judgment is as close as it gets. A different bench, a different time, and a different judgment could have resulted!

What I am concerned about is that the loss of this future revenue will see the NSW fast charger programme slashed, delayed or curtailed, which is in no EV owner’s interest.

The states will now go cap-in-hand to the Feds.

But of even wider consequence is that this could invite more High Court challenges on other State taxes that, depending on how you squint at them, might look a little bit like a consumption tax or an excise.

But it always made far more sense at the federal level given that's where the fuel tax is also collected.
Personally I think it makes far more sense at the state/territory level, given that's where the responsibility to fund roads lies, and where the existing bureaucracy for overseeing the national road vehicle fleet largely lies.

However, shoulds and coulds don't matter in the world of is. The vertical fiscal imbalance continues, and the various governments involved will have to sort things out within the lines put down here by the court.

(I do wonder how many other vehicle-registration-adjacent charges could now be challenged on the basis that they can be construed as a tax, and therefore a tax on goods, and therefore an excise?)

Reactions: Quickst
Personally I think it makes far more sense at the state/territory level, given that's where the responsibility to fund roads lies, and where the existing bureaucracy for overseeing the national road vehicle fleet largely lies.

I disagree. Local councils is where it is at.

https://alga.com.au/facts-and-figur...e up around,are managed by local governments.

Local roads make up around 75 percent of the national road network (by length) and service every Australian and business on a daily basis. About 657,000km of the nation's roads are managed by local governments.