Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A judgement which was in reality a
3+1 / 1+1+1 is a dogs breakfast.

It puts into question all the other State taxes indicated on page 184

So basically the Feds are the only ones who can collect a RUC. But the States hold the ultimate power because they have the infrastructure (vehicle registration portals), data collection upon which to levy a RUC (declaration of km driven at registration) enforcement (withholding of vehicle registration)

I can see the Feds coming to an agreement with the States where the States becoming agents of the Feds to collect the RUC as part of vehicle rego.

National RUC here we come!!👍

A judgement which was in reality a
3+1 / 1+1+1 is a dogs breakfast.

It puts into question all the other State taxes indicated on page 184

So basically the Feds are the only ones who can collect a RUC. But the States hold the ultimate power because they have the infrastructure (vehicle registration portals), data collection upon which to levy a RUC (declaration of km driven at registration) enforcement (withholding of vehicle registration)

I can see the Feds coming to an agreement with the States where the States becoming agents of the Feds to collect the RUC as part of vehicle rego.

National RUC here we come!!👍
If Utopia has taught me anything this will depend on how close we are to an election hahaha

The states will now go cap-in-hand to the Feds.
No, the states will be able to raise the $$& more efficiently than the Feds

The Feds don't have the infrastructure to raise this tax. It will be a new bureaucracy. It has no information on vehicle ownership. It only has VIN numbers.

The Feds don't have visibility into the actual km driven. The States do via vehicle registration

The Feds can't enforce it without additional costs. The States can by simply withholding vehicle registration.

No, the states will be able to raise the $$& more efficiently than the Feds

The Feds don't have the infrastructure to raise this tax. It will be a new bureaucracy. It has no information on vehicle ownership. It only has VIN numbers.

The Feds don't have visibility into the actual km driven. The States do via vehicle registration

The Feds can't enforce it without additional costs. The States can by simply withholding vehicle registration.
hopefully a coordinated approach will result
they have to agree first!

Reactions: Quickst
Undoubtedly.
But it always made far more sense at the federal level given that's where the fuel tax is also collected.

Hopefully this means the federal govt will undertake a full review and consider all aspects.

Eg. Additional GST/LCT collected on EVs (still at a premium price to ICE), GST on electricity.
it might even help in achieving some rationality on energy policy and pricing - ok, faint hope

Id value your thoughts on the possibility that the feds might try another stunt like they did trying to enforce companies compliance to provide data or comply with their "rules" aka Social media company compliance on content.

Could *hypothetically* the feds say to Tesla "we know that you have access to the odometer readings of all of your cars, give it to us or we will have a childish hissy fit and block you from selling your product here"

Obviously they would word it in such a way that EV owners are the scummy evil people getting away with every known advantage on earth compared to normal, peace loving families who dont have EV's and have to pay for the roads we are destroying hahaha... (Sarcasm)

@bradjc

Disagree all you want:
As I said before, the Feds have let the states keep the revenue collected prior to legislation being disallowed. I hope you get your cheque but don't hold your breath....

With interest?. I have a sneaky suspicion that will be a no...

IMG_1657.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: moa999 and [Zombie]