Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If federal Labor dares propose saving legislation, it'd need support from the greens or the coalition.

I'm not sure the federal coalition is in the mood right now. Aside from being falsely impugned over a certain other issue of sour grapes, I don't see why they'd give a hoot about protecting Danistan's coffers.

Reactions: Quickst
Reactions: Davemcd
The Federal Labor Government has already said they wont be pursuing a tax on EV's at a Federal Level. I believe this was reported in the Guardian on Thursday.

Um, that’s not what the article said…

On Thursday the treasurer, Jim Chalmers, told reporters the high court decision was “clearly contentious” and would have consequences on revenue at “both levels” of government. “So we want to work with the Victorians and with the other states and territories on policy relating to electric vehicles. And clearly the decision taken by the high court has implications for that and for the commonwealth-state tax mix.”

So the Feds will talk to the states and take a measured approach to this. No decision has been made to either implement or not implement an RUC at Federal level.

On Thursday the treasurer, Jim Chalmers, told reporters the high court decision was “clearly contentious” and would have consequences on revenue at “both levels” of government. “So we want to work with the Victorians and with the other states and territories on policy relating to electric vehicles. And clearly the decision taken by the high court has implications for that and for the commonwealth-state tax mix.”

So the Feds will talk to the states and take a measured approach to this. No decision has been made to either implement or not implement an RUC at Federal level.

other than some gst, I cannot see what the revenue consequences were on the feds, unless there is a secret plan to reduce feds state road contributions by the amount of ev tax collected.

No it wasn’t that article

It was a statement from the minister who said they didn’t have any plans to introduce a tax on EVs because “unlike the liberals we want EVs to succeed “

I’ll see if I can find it

If we can only influence legislation through legal action in the high court, perhaps someone needs to launch a challenge to enforce the full cost of air pollution caused by ICEs is charged at the pump. That includes contributions to the health care system dealing with lung and cancer problems caused by ICE pollution. If memory serves, this has been estimated to be on order $2k per annum per vehicle.

I would much prefer the carrot approach to this, where those in charge of creating such legislation incentivise EV adoption. Disincentives are always far more contentious and are of questionable moral value. "Thou shalt not" vs. "Try this, it's cool!". Make people want to move forward and give them perceived ownership over the decision by making it a sweet deal.

If we can only influence legislation through legal action in the high court, perhaps someone needs to launch a challenge to enforce the full cost of air pollution caused by ICEs is charged at the pump. That includes contributions to the health care system dealing with lung and cancer problems caused by ICE pollution. If memory serves, this has been estimated to be on order $2k per annum per vehicle.

I would much prefer the carrot approach to this, where those in charge of creating such legislation incentivise EV adoption. Disincentives are always far more contentious and are of questionable moral value. "Thou shalt not" vs. "Try this, it's cool!". Make people want to move forward and give them perceived ownership over the decision by making it a sweet deal.
I agree. It would appear that using fear and control is the addiction of power, it’s led to the whole “cancel culture” being normalised.
So much negativity, fight back with peace and positivity. Make the world a better place by raising everyone up, not by dragging other people down :)