Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State of Charge: Percentage or Distance?

How do you prefer to see your state of charge?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not trying to be snarky, but how did you ever get by with gas cars? Their fuel gauges are calibrated in percentage (or, more accurately in 1/4 or 1/8th of full, but still based on tank capacity and not how far the tank will take you).
Ha, OK, point taken. I guess I should elaborate. Yes, in the gas car paradigm, I do very vaguely think in terms of percentages, but only as far as: Is it "low" or "not low"? If it is "low", then I should fill it with gas. That is obviously very simplistic, but that's because it's a simple as it needed to be with the huge range of a tank of gas. On my recent trip to Salt Lake City, I would fill up before leaving and just go all the way there (430 miles), with maybe stops on the way or not. Then, I would fill up before I left Salt Lake City and drive home. I didn't have to plan or think of any of the distances in between or get to specific places for refilling. So I think of it this way: my old cars did not have any reporting of miles left to empty, and only had these ham-handed visuals of something being more or less full. With the Tesla, I have this new amazing level of detail, so why would I want to ignore and not use it?

With traveling in the Tesla, it's just different, because you DON'T just fill it up, which can take almost two hours. I have to drive from Boise to Twin Falls (128 miles). Then, I have to go from Twin Falls to Tremonton (146 miles). Then, I have to go from Tremonton to Salt Lake City (74 miles). Since those distances between cities are reported in miles, rather than battery percentages, miles seems like the sensible choice for what I need to compare it to.

Part of this also may relate to how I had my Tesla for some time and did a few long trips before there was the software update that added the "Trips" tab on the energy app and also before there were Superchargers. I got used to plugging in the next stop in nav, seeing how many miles it was, and then filling up to that, plus some margin of extra. Then, I would need to keep an eye on the 30 mile rolling average energy usage, and the real miles remaining projection that it gave and see how that compared to the actual navigation distance left to destination. So all of it was miles/miles/miles, and percentage never came into the picture for anything.

Tesla does this quite well.You set the "fuel gauge" in percent and use the Trip Computer to show you your expected range based on actual driving style and conditions. Much like an ICE with a fuel gauge and a trip computer that calculates miles to empty based on your driving.
This is how I run on long trips.... around town or in normal daily use I really do not care as I have ample range for my typical short trips.

Reactions: Joelc