Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stated Battery Capacity / EPA Economy / Mileage Does Not Add Up

Colgate2004

Nov 2, 2018
New England
I seriously thought Tesla’s did not come with window stickers I have never seen a photo of one
Here's the sticker that came with my car (love seeing those five-stars and 10s/10!) teslasticker.jpg

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Though, oddly, as far as I can tell, the Spark EV has just 6% charging losses. Not sure why it is noticeably better. Presumably something to do with the battery architecture...

I wanted to correct this datapoint. As far as I can tell, the real charging efficiency of my Spark as measured by 1) The Chargepoint and 2) the energy-use meter in the car is:

13.8kWh used
16.49kWh from the Chargepoint.

So that's an efficiency (wall to battery) on the Spark EV of just 83.7% (Which is worse than what I have measured for the Tesla Model 3 using a similar method - about 87-88% for the Tesla is what I have measured.) Of course, no vampire on the Spark so effectively it is probably more efficient.

I swear I checked this previously, and the result was much better, but it was a couple years ago, possibly with a less aged battery (and a different Chargepoint), so there may be confounding factors in the estimates of energy used. (My Spark EV battery has also degraded a bit - it seems to have ~16.2kWh total capacity vs. the ~17kWh when new.)

Obviously I am dependent on the accuracy of Chargepoint metering, too. (It's a free Chargepoint, so no perverse incentives, but maybe they skew their meters in their favor as a general policy. ;) )

But, wanted to correct the record here with the best data I have right now. I'll check again sometime, perhaps for an even more complete discharge of the battery (which could be a error factor as well).

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
Ok, I have to question how y'all are driving. I'm in New England, and I commute from NH to Boston. I did 100 miles today round trip for my commute and my car read 195Wh/mi for the trip. Ambient temp was 30F in the morning and 52F in the afternoon. I had the windows cracked on the way home because it was actually hot in the cabin from the sun. Most of my commute is on I-93, half of which is at 65-70mph and the other half in traffic. I rely on EAP heavily for this stretch.

My efficiency number is only going to drop as the weather outside warms up more. Today, I was still regen limited at the start. In May, this commute will drop to around 165Wh/mi.

These are readings from the car and doesn't factor charging losses. But I can't imagine how people are over 300Wh/mi. Are you flooring it at every light and going 90mph on the highway? Even my S is slightly below 300Wh/mi this time of year.

-edit-
grabbed a photo:

View attachment 393000

It has alot to do with whether or not you're running HVAC. I've dropped to around 230-250Wh/mi on my performance model from close to 350-400 in the dead of winter. I can see the change clearly on the reports I gather. I'm anticipating 260-270 Wh/mi as I start to run AC; well see where we end up.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC