Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stated Battery Capacity / EPA Economy / Mileage Does Not Add Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seriously thought Tesla’s did not come with window stickers I have never seen a photo of one
Here's the sticker that came with my car (love seeing those five-stars and 10s/10!) teslasticker.jpg

Though, oddly, as far as I can tell, the Spark EV has just 6% charging losses. Not sure why it is noticeably better. Presumably something to do with the battery architecture...

I wanted to correct this datapoint. As far as I can tell, the real charging efficiency of my Spark as measured by 1) The Chargepoint and 2) the energy-use meter in the car is:

13.8kWh used
16.49kWh from the Chargepoint.

So that's an efficiency (wall to battery) on the Spark EV of just 83.7% (Which is worse than what I have measured for the Tesla Model 3 using a similar method - about 87-88% for the Tesla is what I have measured.) Of course, no vampire on the Spark so effectively it is probably more efficient.

I swear I checked this previously, and the result was much better, but it was a couple years ago, possibly with a less aged battery (and a different Chargepoint), so there may be confounding factors in the estimates of energy used. (My Spark EV battery has also degraded a bit - it seems to have ~16.2kWh total capacity vs. the ~17kWh when new.)

Obviously I am dependent on the accuracy of Chargepoint metering, too. (It's a free Chargepoint, so no perverse incentives, but maybe they skew their meters in their favor as a general policy. ;) )

But, wanted to correct the record here with the best data I have right now. I'll check again sometime, perhaps for an even more complete discharge of the battery (which could be a error factor as well).

Ok, I have to question how y'all are driving. I'm in New England, and I commute from NH to Boston. I did 100 miles today round trip for my commute and my car read 195Wh/mi for the trip. Ambient temp was 30F in the morning and 52F in the afternoon. I had the windows cracked on the way home because it was actually hot in the cabin from the sun. Most of my commute is on I-93, half of which is at 65-70mph and the other half in traffic. I rely on EAP heavily for this stretch.

My efficiency number is only going to drop as the weather outside warms up more. Today, I was still regen limited at the start. In May, this commute will drop to around 165Wh/mi.

These are readings from the car and doesn't factor charging losses. But I can't imagine how people are over 300Wh/mi. Are you flooring it at every light and going 90mph on the highway? Even my S is slightly below 300Wh/mi this time of year.

-edit-
grabbed a photo:

View attachment 393000

It has alot to do with whether or not you're running HVAC. I've dropped to around 230-250Wh/mi on my performance model from close to 350-400 in the dead of winter. I can see the change clearly on the reports I gather. I'm anticipating 260-270 Wh/mi as I start to run AC; well see where we end up.