Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam when supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had steam coming off the front of the car when supercharging at Scotch Corner the other day, very cool, I think it adds to the drama šŸ¤£. Pleased I knew they could do it though, might have freaked otherwise.

Also, the LFP battery is great for splash and dash, we went 18 to 45% and got a flat 130kw for the whole charge.

Had steam coming off the front of the car when supercharging at Scotch Corner the other day, very cool, I think it adds to the drama šŸ¤£. Pleased I knew they could do it though, might have freaked otherwise.

Also, the LFP battery is great for splash and dash, we went 18 to 45% and got a flat 130kw for the whole charge.

I had the steam/vapour issue a few times.
Never sussed it.

It is certainly a heat pump phenomenon - I never saw this on my old pre-heat pump M3 but witnessed it several times on other cars whilst supercharging. It seems to come from front right wheel arch of M3 and front left wheel arch of MY - if my memory serves me well.
I might be wrong and it could just be a wind direction thing.

Note
The thermal system may produce steam under certain conditions if your vehicle is equipped with a heat pump (to determine if your vehicle has a heat pump, touch Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information). For example, odorless steam can come from the front of your vehicle while charging at a Supercharger in cold temperature. This is normal and not a cause for concern.

I suspect that the only reason Tesla still provide an (online) manual at all is that it is a regulatory requirement. I'm sure they'd get rid of it if they could. After all, it's basically a phone on wheels, and modern phones haven't come with proper manuals for years.

Besides, all input is error. So there should be no real need for you to understand how to provide any input to the controls šŸ˜€