Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
Steeringcolum of my M3 RWD aug2022 has been replaced. Problem solved. Maybe bad shanghai batch...
Cheers for the update. Good to see it can be resolved by replacing hardware.
As people note here, the issue appears to come & go with software updates. I do wonder if that means it can be resolved by software... So far no go for me, although were people noted they started experiencing this issue with 2023.2.10, the issue was actually lessened for me with this update... Still not fully resolved, though.

Upvote 0
Just found this thread thanks to a friend (who also happens to have a 72/Sep ‘22 model Y).
My MY also started doing the same as described here right after the 2023.2.10 update. I tried out my friend’s MY today since it has the same software and his is perfectly smooth.
I had originally entered a service request last week indicating it was software but heard nothing since. I escalated it today since it was the first time I tried driving on the motorway and it was really disconcerting, I’d say unsafe. Now have a service appointment Monday, will update the thread on what they say.
FWIW, my VIN is an earlier build than my friends (417 vs 446).

Upvote 0
Just found this thread thanks to a friend (who also happens to have a 72/Sep ‘22 model Y).
My MY also started doing the same as described here right after the 2023.2.10 update. I tried out my friend’s MY today since it has the same software and his is perfectly smooth.
I had originally entered a service request last week indicating it was software but heard nothing since. I escalated it today since it was the first time I tried driving on the motorway and it was really disconcerting, I’d say unsafe. Now have a service appointment Monday, will update the thread on what they say.
FWIW, my VIN is an earlier build than my friends (417 vs 446).
How do you escalate your request? Mine had been sitting here for a week and it's still "in review"
edit: my VIN ends with 423xxx so I guess mine is between you and your friends

Upvote 0
How do you escalate your request? Mine had been sitting here for a week and it's still "in review"
edit: my VIN ends with 423xxx so I guess mine is between you and your friends
I just added a few more comments in the service chat. Initially I had said I believed it was a result of the last software update (which made me think was the reason I had no update). After testing my friends Y with same software today and driving on the mway, I added new comments about both, and that driving on the motorway felt like it should be treated as a safety issue (with constant slight fighting against the steering to keep the car in lane). I had a response to confirm cost (£0.00) and book a time slot pretty soon after.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
Also happened to me on with 2023.2.11 update on 15FEB2023. Came kut ext mor kng and steering is "notchy". Have call logged with service centre. Model 3 RWD 5mont
Update to my issue direct from Tesla....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230223_003700.jpg
    Screenshot_20230223_003700.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
I was also told it was a software issue. I did mention that users have had it fixed with new steering columns, but alas. For now I'll have to drive a car that's unable to drive straight, and wait for a possible bandaid? Makeup-on-a-pig.

EDIT: Just asked them to push .12 or whatever was newest (I'm on .05) to see if that fixes it. They did, and so I'll install it after picking it up and parking at home.

EDIT 2: They just pushed .05 again. Asked them again, but no response yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't edit my post anymore, but I drove back irrationally annoyed. Long story short, I was told after a bit of waiting that he had to ask his supervisor if they can do a parts swap, but that he couldn't get ahold of him at this very minute. I'll get an answer later today.

I was told it's the firmware for the steering column itself, or whatever firmware sits closest. Not the MCU firmware. Apparently that's why some get the issue, and some don't, and why a new steering column would work (because different firmware). I replied with that I don't find it acceptable to have to drive until some magical firmware gets downloaded that may or may not even have a fix for me.

Gif related, me on a straight road.
traffic-jam-jim-carrey.gif

Reactions: PastaSource
Upvote 0