Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
Just to chime in, I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Shanghai built Model Y received September 2022, current firmware version is 2022.44.25. Car recently was at the service center, they confirmed the issue, and claimed it was a known issue that it will be resolved by a firmware update in the future. They warmed up the steering rack and claimed the steering became smoother, but it was no better when I got the car back.
I did notice that when turning the wheel fast, there are no "notches", it's only when turning the wheel slowly.
My Model Y is exactly same as yrs. Shanghai built and dely in Sept 2022. I experienced the problem when I was on the same software version as you refer to. Our problem stopped when we got the next software update. We are currently on software version 2023.2.10 . But if not wrong that is the 2nd software update we have had since our issue with this.

Upvote 0
Have exact same problem on my M3RWD2022. Even when standing in park mode, turning the steering wheel slowly. Weird. I will report to service and see what they have to say about this. As it is the exact same issue, thinking it should be software.
What software version are u on ?. When we had the problem we were at 2022.44.25. After we had been to the service center we got a software update the day after which sorted out the problem. Steering is back to normal now for us.

Upvote 0
My Model Y is exactly same as yrs. Shanghai built and dely in Sept 2022. I experienced the problem when I was on the same software version as you refer to. Our problem stopped when we got the next software update. We are currently on software version 2023.2.10 . But if not wrong that is the 2nd software update we have had since our issue with this.
Thanks for telling me the firmware version you're on. When I read your comment about it being fixed by a software update I checked if there was a new firmware available for me. There was one, but it's not as recent as the one you're currently on. Hopefully we'll also get that soon, quite frustrating not being able to drive straight due to this notchy steering!

Upvote 0
Finally got the 2023.2.10 update today. After a quick test it seems that the issue is greatly improved, although I can still feel the "notches". I'm under the impression that temperature affects this as well and recently we've had warmer weather than usual, so I'll need to test a bit more when it's colder outside.

Upvote 0
Finally got the 2023.2.10 update today. After a quick test it seems that the issue is greatly improved, although I can still feel the "notches". I'm under the impression that temperature affects this as well and recently we've had warmer weather than usual, so I'll need to test a bit more when it's colder outside.
I just got the update and suddenly I have this step-turning problem on my MYLR (Sep 2022)

What have they done??

Upvote 0
Hey Folks, just wanted to add my feedback here too. I also received my Model Y in September 2022 (from Shanghai) here in Austria. Just talked to the Tesla Service Manger from my city and they said that Tesla is aware of the issue and we have to wait for a software fix - they can't do anything right now. The issue appeared this week after upgrading to 2023.2.10. They expect the software fix by end of February or early March. Let's hope it doesn't take longer than that...

Upvote 0
This has now happened to me when I went to use the car this morning, after having the update installed overnight!! The car was totally fine when I used it yesterday evening.
Also MYLR, delivered Sept from Shanghai. I called the customer service team for software updates, but they seemed to think an update wasn't capable of causing this issue? Now just waiting for a service appointment.

Upvote 0
Would it be of value for all of those posting here with the steering issue to share your production month? Is is possible that Shanghai has produced a batch of cars with defective steering?

I still haven't seen this issue in Fremont/Austin built MYs.

Upvote 0