Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
Has anyone noticed that the steering feels difference since version 2023.6.8? (I guess it might be hard to tell if you've been stuck with the notchy steering for the last couple of months though!)

My Model Y is from September 2022, so I avoided installing 2023.2.10 and 2023.2.12 since hearing about this issue, just in case it's one of the affected ones. I just stayed on version 2023.2.0.5, which was fine.

But today I let it install version 2023.6.8, and something definitely feels different since. It's not notchy, thankfully, but it feels like the resistance to turning (or I guess the spring force pulling it back towards the centre) is much stronger, and also the bumpiness of the road seems to be getting fed back through to the steering wheel much more (i.e. I can feel the bumps through the wheel much more, and it actually gets knocked off centre if I don't fight it enough). And this is all on the "Comfort" setting, which normally isn't like that at all.

So I'm wondering if this is something they've changed on purpose for everyone, or perhaps this is just how the problematic steering hardware ends up behaving with the "fix" applied?

• Helpful
Upvote 0
I have the same issue, but '22 Fremont PY, on 2023.6.8.

While on autopilot on Interstate last Thursday (~80 mph), and passing a semi, AP freaked out and told me to take control, but I noticed the steering was very stiff and jerky. I tried a 2 finger reboot, but that didn't help. I pulled into to the first exit, and while driving slowly, I turned the wheel full stop to full stop 3 or 4 times and it resolved itself, and we kept driving.

~400 miles later, the issue came back tonight for a bit after exiting Interstate, but not as bad and again it went away after cornering several times. Now that it came back a second time and after reading the posts here, I guess I'll have to request service, HOWEVER, I'm 240 miles from the nearest SC. It would be several months before I'd be close to a SC again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
I have the same issue, but '22 Fremont PY, on 2023.6.8.

While on autopilot on Interstate last Thursday (~80 mph), and passing a semi, AP freaked out and told me to take control, but I noticed the steering was very stiff and jerky. I tried a 2 finger reboot, but that didn't help. I pulled into to the first exit, and while driving slowly, I turned the wheel full stop to full stop 3 or 4 times and it resolved itself, and we kept driving.

~400 miles later, the issue came back tonight for a bit after exiting Interstate, but not as bad and again it went away after cornering several times. Now that it came back a second time and after reading the posts here, I guess I'll have to request service, HOWEVER, I'm 240 miles from the nearest SC. It would be several months before I'd be close to a SC again.

I'm on 2023.6.11 as of last week and my steering problem is worse, not better. Now it feels stiff and seems to bind for most of my 10 minute commute to/from work. I put in a service request today for mobile service, but the closest SC is 230 miles away and my only option at this point. We'll need to chat before I keep that appt. I'm not driving for 4 hours without someone testing it first and guarantee that I'll have a loaner. I get the feeling I could be without my PY for several weeks, if they don't have parts. My past experience is they push the appt out until they know they have parts.

• Informative
Upvote 0
I'm on 2023.6.11 as of last week and my steering problem is worse, not better. Now it feels stiff and seems to bind for most of my 10 minute commute to/from work. I put in a service request today for mobile service, but the closest SC is 230 miles away and my only option at this point. We'll need to chat before I keep that appt. I'm not driving for 4 hours without someone testing it first and guarantee that I'll have a loaner. I get the feeling I could be without my PY for several weeks, if they don't have parts. My past experience is they push the appt out until they know they have parts.

SC messaged me that my appt has been bumped sooner by a week and the local ranger will swap out my steering column. If that doesn't work, then the next stop will be the 230 mile drive to the nearest SC for rack replacement.

• Helpful
Upvote 0
Had the same issue with my ‘23 Fremont Y. Went through 2 updates with no correction. Picking up today from the SC and notes say the steering rack was replaced.

Can I ask how long your service visit was?

I have to drive 4 hours for a 8 a.m. appt. and come home the same day. No clue if I need a loaner and return a different day or if they can do it all in one day.

Upvote 0
Can I ask how long your service visit was?

I have to drive 4 hours for a 8 a.m. appt. and come home the same day. No clue if I need a loaner and return a different day or if they can do it all in one day.

My appt was Monday and the ETC date kept sliding. They did put me in a loaner though after I did the issue replication drive with the tech.

I did ask ahead of time if they had the steering rack in stock (after reading similar issues here) and they confirmed that they do keep on hand so maybe that also helped.

Reactions: towndrunk
Upvote 0
My appt was Monday and the ETC date kept sliding. They did put me in a loaner though after I did the issue replication drive with the tech.

I did ask ahead of time if they had the steering rack in stock (after reading similar issues here) and they confirmed that they do keep on hand so maybe that also helped.

But did it take a full day? More than a day?

Just trying to figure out the chance I may be able to drop off and leave.

Upvote 0