Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those plates look brilliant, I'll definitely get some. Can't see any blemishes in the rear plate, is it a myth that you get some ?

Roy W, where did you get the stickers from? Also, how did you remove the original plate holders?

Thanks both. The vinyl plates were from:

Buy Legal Number Plates – Replacement Number Plates Online

delivered two days after ordering.

Before I removed the old plates I marked the position of the ends on the body with some PVC tape. This acts as a position guide for the new plates.

To remove the old plates and fit the new ones:

1. Unclip the old frames at the top on both ends. The frame hinges forward.
2. Remove the old plate.
3. Unscrew the plate holder frame.
4. Unbolt (front) or unscrew (rear) the plastic base.
5. Thoroughly clean the area below the old plates.
6. Wipe the area down with IPA to thoroughly degrease it.
7. Fill a spray bottle with water plus a DROP of washing up liquid.
8. Spray the body where you are going to fit the vinyl plate to wet it.
9. Remove the backing paper from the new plate.
10. Spray the adhesive side of the plate to wet it.
11. Fit the plate. The water lets you move it into the correct position.
12. Using a plastic card wrapped in a cloth, press the centre of the plate and gradually work your way outwards to remove excess water and air bubbles.

In terms of blemishes: where the front plates are removed you are left with two rough holes from the self-tapping screws they use to fit the frame. I GENTLY used a countersink bit by hand to remove the burring so the holes were perfectly flat.

When the rear plates are removed there are two plastic fixings (flush with the body) and a small recessed area. I simply fitted the vinyl plate carefully over this. You just need to be extra careful when you are pressing it into position - DON’T press onto the recessed area! Most of all, take your time.

The vinyl material itself is nice and thick, so if you’re careful you shouldn’t see anything you shouldn’t on the front or rear.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks both. The vinyl plates were from:

Buy Legal Number Plates – Replacement Number Plates Online

delivered two days after ordering.

Before I removed the old plates I marked the position of the ends on the body with some PVC tape. This acts as a position guide for the new plates.

To remove the old plates and fit the new ones:

1. Unclip the old frames at the top on both ends. The frame hinges forward.
2. Remove the old plate.
3. Unscrew the plate holder frame.
4. Unbolt (front) or unscrew (rear) the plastic base.
5. Thoroughly clean the area below the old plates.
6. Wipe the area down with IPA to thoroughly degrease it.
7. Fill a spray bottle with water plus a DROP of washing up liquid.
8. Spray the body where you are going to fit the vinyl plate to wet it.
9. Remove the backing paper from the new plate.
10. Spray the adhesive side of the plate to wet it.
11. Fit the plate. The water lets you move it into the correct position.
12. Using a plastic card wrapped in a cloth, press the centre of the plate and gradually work your way outwards to remove excess water and air bubbles.

In terms of blemishes: where the front plates are removed you are left with two rough holes from the self-tapping screws they use to fit the frame. I GENTLY used a countersink bit by hand to remove the burring so the holes were perfectly flat.

When the rear plates are removed there are two plastic fixings (flush with the body) and a small recessed area. I simply fitted the vinyl plate carefully over this. You just need to be extra careful when you are pressing it into position - DON’T press onto the recessed area! Most of all, take your time.

The vinyl material itself is nice and thick, so if you’re careful you shouldn’t see anything you shouldn’t on the front or rear.

I hope this is helpful.
Thanks for the comprehensive answers Roy. I did wonder if there were any holes behind the plate holder. Maybe I'll try to fill out the holes with blue-tack. Even if you do a good job of covering the holes with the sticker, won't the pressures from the driving plus pressures from using jet wash push the sticker into the holes?

Thanks for the comprehensive answers Roy. I did wonder if there were any holes behind the plate holder. Maybe I'll try to fill out the holes with blue-tack. Even if you do a good job of covering the holes with the sticker, won't the pressures from the driving plus pressures from using jet wash push the sticker into the holes?
A good question, I guess time will tell! Given the thickness of the vinyl, I suspect not.

Can you show some pictures please after you have done it

Here is mine

back.JPG
Front.JPG

The cosmetic improvement I think is very good and I might do this but I'm very skeptical of the suggestion it'll make a difference to range in the real world. It's an aerodynamic improvement for sure but given where the plates are on the car I suspect it's a very very modest one.

My stick on plates arrived today so I can see what's going to be happening this weekend...quick question...what sticky tape did you use to attach the rear plate to the car? I have masking/parcel and duct tape but not sure they will give me the look I am after..

If they are stick-on plates why do you need tape as they should be self-adhesive?

I would never use masking/parcel tape on any external area of a car to hold things up permanently.

My stick on plates arrived today so I can see what's going to be happening this weekend...quick question...what sticky tape did you use to attach the rear plate to the car? I have masking/parcel and duct tape but not sure they will give me the look I am after..

The stick on plates were basically vinyl labels, no tape required.

I have ordered another plate for the back to fix the dip, but didn't try it yet.