Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that a while ago in your earlier posts, thanks, shows exactly where the transmitter is.

I've ordered some plates from one stop. They said the plates do not contain metal and they had never heard of this problem before. I'll fit the front temporarily with gaffa tape and try out the cruise control and see what happens. Hopefully it'll be OK.

I have a one stop plate and a metal detector indicates it contains metal so I will be interested to see how you get on with your tests.

Saw this earlier in this week’s Auto Express...

6B5C3717-A6B3-4B35-871B-BE7DCF916B1F.jpeg

Another shoutout for the vinyl plates from onestopnumberplates. Great service.

only trouble I’m having is now fitting them. The front was easy enough, dab of silicon in the screw holes and sanded down to smooth as the drilled holes had quite a raised edge.

having trouble with the rear as there is a 3/4 inch thick indentation about 6 inches long, about 1/4 inch deep. I don’t want to silicon the whole lot, but may well use blu tack for the bulk of it and silicon over the top as I think the adhesive will stick better to filler rather than putty.
Any other suggestions to fill the indent?

I'd avoid the stick on plates for the rear. You really need a smooth flat surfuce for the vinyl to stick to to prevent any bubbling.

I went stick on for the front and a standard plain rear plate with 3M adhesive tape on the rear.

View attachment 548896

I did contemplate that but then I remembered how hard the other half/kids slam the boot lid!

I do have some spare 3M VHB from refitting the rim protectors (after the missus took them clean off on the kerb right outside our place :rolleyes:) so may give that a go if I don’t get good contact on the vinyl

Another shoutout for the vinyl plates from onestopnumberplates. Great service.

only trouble I’m having is now fitting them. The front was easy enough, dab of silicon in the screw holes and sanded down to smooth as the drilled holes had quite a raised edge.

having trouble with the rear as there is a 3/4 inch thick indentation about 6 inches long, about 1/4 inch deep. I don’t want to silicon the whole lot, but may well use blu tack for the bulk of it and silicon over the top as I think the adhesive will stick better to filler rather than putty.
Any other suggestions to fill the indent?

I had no problem with the rear one no bubbles just don’t press in over the dipped bit

front one was way harder but both look great

So, I finally got round to fitting my vinyl front plate today. It looks good but I'm not 100% happy with it. To be precise, I'm probably miffed with my DIY skills but hey ho.

I countersunk the screw holes and then filled them with blu tack however I now dont think I took it down enough.

I worked the air/bubbles/water out like an absolute trojan but it was to no avail and I have small air pockets over the screw holes.

Also, just above the '2', the edge of the plate was struggling to stick down, due to damged caused when it came through my letter box.

All in all, I'm 85% happy I think. Worst case scenario, I will fit the original mount and stick the metal plate to that.

20200614_201509.jpg
20200614_202527.jpg
20200614_204138.jpg
20200614_204324.jpg
20200614_204152.jpg
20200614_204147.jpg

Reactions: H Mak