Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally picked up enough courage to fit my OneStopNumberPlates.co.uk stick-on plate yesterday. A few observations:

I had one of the TESLA.COM holders. I think these are particularly ugly thanks to the four tabs across the top and at the sides. It looks like a really cheap, last-minute addition.
old-reg.jpg

Fortunately, it is easy to remove - just pull the TESLA.COM strip at one end and it pops off then the metal number plate slides out at the bottom. A Philips screwdriver and a 8mm socket are then needed to remove the two plastic mounts. This leaves two holes. To my surprise these were not central i.e. the original number plate was about 10mm to the left of centreo_O I decided to fill the holes with a two-part plastic bumper repair putty which I then sanded smooth. If I re-fit the original holder at some point I will drill new holes and put it in the middle!

I then needed to establish where to stick the plate so as not to interfere with the sensors (mainly the radar). From an aesthetic perspective I wanted to mount the plate towards the middle rather than hugging the bottom of the front ‘bumper’. This thread was useful as a 150mm high US plate mounted 3/4inch (19mm) above the bottom lip does not interfere, so as long as I kept below 169mm from the bottom lip I reckoned I should be OK. I went with 160mm in the end. Attaching the stick-on plate was easier than I thought (in part thanks to Roy’s excellent instructions).

reg-after.jpg

reg-side.jpg

I had the opportunity to test both cruise control and Autopilot on a duel carriage way on a shopping trip this morning and both work without any problems and there were no error messages. So UK stick-on plates can be safely fixed so that the top of the plate is 160mm from the bottom lip, and probably a bit higher if you are prepared to push it.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to test both cruise control and Autopilot on a duel carriage way on a shopping trip this morning and both work without any problems and there were no error messages. So UK stick-on plates can be safely fixed so that the top of the plate is 160mm from the bottom lip, and probably a bit higher if you are prepared to push it.

I think the problem will only occur with the metallised plates like Tesla use. Plastic plates, especially the stick-on variety will almost certainly be transparent to the radar which seems to shine from not too far above the horizontal line of the tow hole on the right (facing the front of the car). [edit] Comment later found out to be based upon an incorrect assumption

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Chalks99
I think the problem will only occur with the metallised plates like Tesla use. Plastic plates, especially the stick-on variety will almost certainly be transparent to the radar which seems to shine from not too far above the horizontal line of the tow hole on the right (facing the front of the car).
Agree, I have the same stick on number plate and can report no issues to date. (when I was using the car !)

I think the problem will only occur with the metallised plates like Tesla use. Plastic plates, especially the stick-on variety will almost certainly be transparent to the radar which seems to shine from not too far above the horizontal line of the tow hole on the right (facing the front of the car).

You could be right, and I might be over-thinking the issue :rolleyes:

However, US stick-on plates have been reported to block the radar, and their supplier states they "will not interfere with the sensors if installed EXACTLY where the standard plates are placed". This is presumably because they incorporate a metal foil layer.

I haven't seen any reports of UK 'vinyl' plates blocking the radar, but I think they also have a metal foil layer, so have the potential to block the radar if mounted too high.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I'm one of those who feel that number plates need to look a bit more substantial (although much tidier than the original frames). My problem with stick-on plates is that that is exactly what they look like -- stickers, that beg to be peeled off...!

I think my preferred solution is the embossed aluminium kind, but the jury is out on whether these are legal in the UK...

I agree. I'm not a fan of stuck on plates purely because they follow the contour of the car, rather than being flat. Equally I can see why that would be appealing to some though, one man's wine is another man's poison and what not.

I think what I'll end up doing once I get my private plates made up by Tesla is a halfway house of attaching them with 3M tape to the plastic bit that is screwed to the bumper, on the front and back.

I think what I'll end up doing once I get my private plates made up by Tesla is a halfway house of attaching them with 3M tape to the plastic bit that is screwed to the bumper, on the front and back.

Note that the plastic bit that screws to the front bumper is made from "<(PP+EPDM)-MD20>". The 3M VHB tape 5952F I bought from Amazon states it is "Not suitable for use on PE, PP, PTFE and silicone". I don't know if 3M do a double-sided tape for use with PP, but it might be worth checking, or use screws.

I bought a stick-on front and rear number plate and regret my purchase.

Rear: There is a fairly significant indent in the boot once you remove the horrible plastic number plate holder. While I've seen numerous success stories in here - I was worried the indent would finally show through. Alternative was to fit an old acrylic plate (which already had holes in) onto the original black mount (just without the extra frame bits around it). There's a slight black surrounding the number plate - but looks OK. I've ordered a new rear plate so may stick that onto the boot without the mount.

Front: Filled the two screw holes in and attached the stick-on plate. Can't see any sign of the holes, which is good. But I can't get over that it just looks like a sticker and not a number plate. Makes it look cheap somehow in my opinion. So I've ordered a replacement plastic plate and will use the standard black mount again (I suspect) and screw the new plate to that.

Note: I have a personal number plate - so did not look to re-use the metal ones I got with the car.

Hope this helps anyone that's sitting on the fence. I'll take before and after photos of the stick-on vs normal plate

I haven't seen any reports of UK 'vinyl' plates blocking the radar, but I think they also have a metal foil layer, so have the potential to block the radar if mounted too high.

An update - the OneStopNumberPlates.co.uk stick-on plates use ORALITE (Orafol) Reflective Film. The Orafol website shows that most of their reflective films include a 'metalised' layer:
oralite.jpg

I then remembered that I have a metal detector (for finding nails etc)! Sure enough, the detector beeps when held near the stick-on plate confirming it includes a metal layer. I also checked a plastic (acrylic) number plate and it also includes a metal layer (with the reflective sheet from a different manufacturer - Nikkalite).

So I think it is best to assume that ANY number plate (aluminium like Tesla's, stick-on or 'plastic') has the potential to block the front radar and so should be mounted with the top no higher than 16cm above the bottom lip on the bumper.

Thank you to jimbo_hippo on post #101. Today I did the same as you jimbo and reattached the Tesla plates direct to my car using the double sided tape. Very pleased with the result, especially as I am not a diy person. Easiest parts were removing the existing attached plates etc. Hardest part ensuring the plates are centred, level, and the slight bending of the plates (by hand) to match the slight curves of the vehicle. What do you think?FA3064FE-73EF-44CF-B4E1-5796B1301A10.jpeg27D1C152-1395-4622-B8F6-A8EF34B3377F.jpeg169D8FE3-2E52-4DC4-8B81-5E28F1E11C45.jpeg

9B06407C-6784-4883-BD03-6D35CBA7D9B3.jpeg
I bought a stick-on front and rear number plate and regret my purchase.

Rear: There is a fairly significant indent in the boot once you remove the horrible plastic number plate holder. While I've seen numerous success stories in here - I was worried the indent would finally show through. Alternative was to fit an old acrylic plate (which already had holes in) onto the original black mount (just without the extra frame bits around it). There's a slight black surrounding the number plate - but looks OK. I've ordered a new rear plate so may stick that onto the boot without the mount.

Front: Filled the two screw holes in and attached the stick-on plate. Can't see any sign of the holes, which is good. But I can't get over that it just looks like a sticker and not a number plate. Makes it look cheap somehow in my opinion. So I've ordered a replacement plastic plate and will use the standard black mount again (I suspect) and screw the new plate to that.

Note: I have a personal number plate - so did not look to re-use the metal ones I got with the car.

Hope this helps anyone that's sitting on the fence. I'll take before and after photos of the stick-on vs normal plate
Top = Before
Bottom = After.

acrylic plates - front screwed (and stuck) on to the original Tesla mount. Rear stuck on directly to the boot

Reactions: Cogarch