Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still Waiting for Elon's Blog Post on Autopilot Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently can go nag free for over an hour on the highway. Why would I voluntarily let Tesla reduce that to 1 minute and force me to pull over on the side of the road and park any time I miss 3/60ths of them? Not to mention I'd also have to accept all the 7.1 restrictions that I don't have right now.

And that's all to accept "improvements" to something that works just fine the way it is.

I'm sorry, you want to remove that much functionality from my vehicle, you'd better be giving me something AMAZING in return!

Hire a lawyer instead of constantly venting on these boards. You may have better success.

Reactions: GWord
I currently can go nag free for over an hour on the highway.

Yikes. You've gone an hour with your hands off the wheel? There's probably a special list at Tesla HQ for "future headliners" with your name on it.

I'm sorry, you want to remove that much functionality from my vehicle, you'd better be giving me something AMAZING in return!

I dunno about you, but seeing past the car in front of me is pretty darn amazing in my book.

Does everyone who doesn't upgrade to V8.0 get their own thread?

I was gauging his response to see how resistance other people might be. He's generally been the most resistant person to upgrade.
No. They can all join that thread, or start a new one. My point was that I don't think it's valuable to revisit the same conversation and reasoning in this thread since there's already a record of it. From what I've seen, that kind of conflict tends to commandeer a productive conversation. And by commandeer, I mean that it takes the "productive" out of it.

Yikes. You've gone an hour with your hands off the wheel? There's probably a special list at Tesla HQ for "future headliners" with your name on it.
My hands are not the part of my body that monitors my surroundings and pay attention to the road, and the other vehicles on it. I assure you that I am able to react to any potential situation plenty fast enough, and have done so on numerous occasions.

• Disagree
Reactions: GWord and msnow
No. They can all join that thread, or start a new one. My point was that I don't think it's valuable to revisit the same conversation and reasoning in this thread since there's already a record of it. From what I've seen, that kind of conflict tends to commandeer a productive conversation. And by commandeer, I mean that it takes the "productive" out of it.

But, this thread is obsolete so I'm not sure it matters what direction it goes before it's natural death. It's not like the thread had any reason to be productive anymore. The race is over, and we're just standing around talking.

Every discussion regarding the blog post is now in separate threads. I can't even recall what thread the question came up of whether people would be resistant to upgrading (what I was trying to gauge). I only asked it here because this is where he was.

I didn't want to revisit the conversation aside from the relevant parts of V8.0. That being the added restriction. But, my part in it is done with since he gave an affirmative no even if I don't agree that it's anymore restrictive.

Last edited:
My hands are not the part of my body that monitors my surroundings and pay attention to the road, and the other vehicles on it. I assure you that I am able to react to any potential situation plenty fast enough, and have done so on numerous occasions.

We can debate the importance of your hands as another feedback mechanism for detecting when the car is having issues, or the reaction time necessary to grab the wheel in the event of an emergency, like a tire blow out, but that's beside the point.

Tesla makes it quite clear in the directions for using autopilot that the driver is to keep their hands on the wheel at all times. But of course you know this.

We can debate the importance of your hands as another feedback mechanism for detecting when the car is having issues, or the reaction time necessary to grab the wheel in the event of an emergency, like a tire blow out, but that's beside the point.

Tesla makes it quite clear in the directions for using autopilot that the driver is to keep their hands on the wheel at all times. But of course you know this.
My hands are in fact within millimetres of the wheel at all times, but not gripping it. As such they do not satisfy the nags. I've found no way of comfortably wrapping my hands around the wheel with enough force to satisfy the nag without disabling autopilot accidentally every few minutes (which would be a huge safety issue). I can however assure you that I am able to resume full control of the vehicle instantly. In any emergency situation that could occur, I am in as good a position as any other driver to deal with it.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I read on another site that Elon stated that at freeway speeds there was now going to be a 1 minute nag (for hands on wheel) and with 3 alerts in an hour the system will disable itself until you are parked? can anyone verify or dispute? I get the hands on wheel alert while my hand is on the wheel all the time and I have to give the wheel quite the wiggle to silence the alert. If true, AP will be quite useless for me and I suspect many others. Thoughts?
This^.

So, what does one to two weeks mean? Starting today or from the time he announced one to two weeks? I have a long distance solo trip planned and would love to do it on 8.0. :)
As long as it takes to finish the Supercharger credit portion of 8.0. That is, the portion that requires 8.0 to Supercharge and implements the credit and idle time accounting. And effectively disallows 7.x vehicles from Supercharging.

<speculation with a bit of data behind it making it a not-quite-educated guess>

I read on another site that Elon stated that at freeway speeds there was now going to be a 1 minute nag (for hands on wheel) and with 3 alerts in an hour the system will disable itself until you are parked? can anyone verify or dispute? I get the hands on wheel alert while my hand is on the wheel all the time and I have to give the wheel quite the wiggle to silence the alert. If true, AP will be quite useless for me and I suspect many others. Thoughts?

I forgot where I read that too, something about q1min nags if traveling over 45 mph and q3min nags under 45 mph. Once the Q&A transcript is available we'll know a little more (right now EM opening statements only are up).

I also remember reading that AP works 'indefinitely' under a certain low speed, like 8mph. So in stop and go traffic you can still rest with your hands off the wheel.

I forgot where I read that too, something about q1min nags if traveling over 45 mph and q3min nags under 45 mph. Once the Q&A transcript is available we'll know a little more (right now EM opening statements only are up).

I also remember reading that AP works 'indefinitely' under a certain low speed, like 8mph. So in stop and go traffic you can still rest with your hands off the wheel.

Tesla is all about autopilot and radar in firmware 8

"Autopilot will effectively function indefinitely. Under 45mph "the longest in theory is five minutes, but actually there are hands-on-wheel requirements as soon as the car detects lateral acceleration," he said. Above 45 mph the "hands on the wheel" warning should go off after a minute if you don't have a car to follow, and three minutes if you do have a car to follow, "because the accuracy is greater,"

Sounds pretty annoying to me, and I find it pretty silly. I'm with Green1 on it being a piss poor way of determining if someone is paying attention. A good way of avoiding regulatory eyes, but hardly effective in the real world.

Having to hold the wheel has never stopped me from looking at the pretty scenery or the cute girl mooning me in the car next to me.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty annoying to me, and I find it pretty silly. I'm with Green1 on it being a piss poor way of determining if someone is paying attention. A good way of avoiding regulatory eyes, but hardly effective in the real world.
Perhaps you prefer what GM is doing here. Have a camera face you, the driver, and make sure you're paying attention. That, in combination with steering torque, probably improves accuracy. Is that more in line with what you're thinking?

• Funny
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Perhaps you prefer what GM is doing here. Have a camera face you, the driver, and make sure you're paying attention. That, in combination with steering torque, probably improves accuracy. Is that more in line with what you're thinking?

Not for me, but for everyone else. :p

For me I just want a sleep monitor, and a heart monitor. As long as I'm not dead or sleeping then leave me alone.