Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still Waiting for Elon's Blog Post on Autopilot Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is what it is. Anyone on this forum that truly expects Elon to hit a deadline is like someone with a drunk spouse who thinks this is going to be the time they stop drinking.

Name a car that you've purchased ever that gets free upgrades as it goes? I think BMW changed my Bluetooth menu once. Other than that the Model S has gotten progressively better, post sale, for free. I'm not going to poke my finger in the chest of the person responsible and demand more.

Anyone here knows that they generally exceed most expectations and it's almost never when they say it's going to happen. So if you have a post count of over like, I don't know... three: stop acting like you're shocked by the delay.

Version 7.1 AP is incredible and does 90% of my driving. It does have glitches but I quickly learned to handle them. The geniuses that created AP have gotten wiser and 8.0 will be next iteration. Interesting - but while waiting for it I still enjoy using the best driver assist system yet developed. I can wait.
EDIT: Now I will only check Elon's tweets once every hour.

Last edited:
After the SpaceX explosion he tweeted that he would postpone it but still finish by end of the weekend... which has come and gone and still... nothing. Am anxious to hear about improvements/ new capabilities! Maybe we can discuss here once he posts...

He's just getting the model 3 reservation holders accustomed to his punctuality

String me along once, shame on you.

String me along twice, thrice, quatorce....and I've got to think there must be some method in the Muskness of it all.

But I sure haven't been able to come up with what it possibly could be....nor, seemingly, has anyone else.

• Funny
Reactions: fallen888
  • Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Make me sign a liability wavier and get it notorized before shipping... Minimal gain? They could make every car in America autonomous.

Nobody would do this, that's the thing. The very fact that a product would require a liability waver would preclude them from offering it. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that it wouldn't, at least outside of a few beta testers.

And it's not a matter of making every car in America autonomous. The Model S is one of a handful of cars currently manufactured that is setup for this. You can't just bolt a camera and some sonar sensors on to a 3 series and expect it to drive itself. You'd have to change the braking system, the steering, tuning, etc. Tweaking Tesla's setup won't happen. Retrofitting other existing vehicles is pretty far out into fantasy land.

All Tesla owners understand "soon...." Been there, done that.

We have heard of a few new capabilities of 8.0 like off ramp nav in AP. But I also heard that they may be restriciing steering wheel hands on for improved safety. Hands on the wheel or no AP. We know they can easily enable it. Apparently an outcome of the Northern Florida fatal MS AP crash into a semi. I hope that this is wrong and just a rumor. But I will want to know for sure before I enable the "update" to 8.0.

If they killed the problem of the white truck ( wich was a radar+camera problem ) - and they coud have , and they solved the problem with the truck stopped with half line occupied ( and they could have, since it's probably only software related ) i would say that they made a good lap forward.

I got the notification today about the firmware update. I was Supercharging at the Fremont Factory. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. I didn't schedule the update because I want to find out more about the safety restrictions put in 8.0. Looks like they will be more diligent about enforcing hands on. That's not bad. But apparently if you wait too long to grab the wheel, Autosteer will be disabled until you pull over and put it in Park. What other restrictions are lurking in there? The Elektrek.co article is pretty descriptive. I plan on finding out more before I enable the 8.0 update.

Tesla will soon introduce new Autopilot safety restrictions after recent accidents