Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stinky Smelling AC on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is a widely reported issue in the USA forums now that their cars have been out for a year but here I am in Australia and only 2months into ownership and my cabin stinks already.

Anyone else have experienced it already in Oz? What AC foam cleaner have you used as many of the ones the Americans recommended don’t exist here.

What's the stink like? Do you run all the time on recycle or?

How does one use a AC foam cleaner (on the filter?)?
It’s mouldy/mildew like smell. There’s quite a few videos on YouTube showing how to get to the air cabin filters, remove them and then you can see the AC condenser coils and spray foam cleaner on it.

it seems to have started a few weeks after I turned on “Cabin heat protection with AC On”.

it’s a well known issue in the US with moisture staying in the condenser and turning into mould.

It’s mouldy/mildew like smell. There’s quite a few videos on YouTube showing how to get to the air cabin filters, remove them and then you can see the AC condenser coils and spray foam cleaner on it.

it seems to have started a few weeks after I turned on “Cabin heat protection with AC On”.

it’s a well known issue in the US with moisture staying in the condenser and turning into mould.

That could be potentially dangerous couldn’t it? Mould spores going in to ones lungs?!

• Informative
Reactions: HighlyCharged
Lots and lots or reports in the USA about this, with 50% of people swearing to minimise the issue you should run the AC on “recirculate” and the other half saying you should run it on “fresh”. WTH? There’s also a view that running “cabin heat protection” is a common contributing factor.

There seems to be a flaw in the AC design that the condensate is not able to completely drain away and once trapped bacteria will grow. Not nice. So a common suggestion is to turn AC off a few minutes before you arrive at your destination (but leave the fan on) to dry any remaining condensate before stopping. The Tesla “fix” via software update is apparently to run the fan automatically for a few minutes after stopping.

Pretty disappointing that a $70k+ car should have this issue. No excuses, really. Tesla apologists in the US kept saying “I’ve had this happen in other cars so it’s not a Tesla issue“ but I’ve never heard of this before in any car, or in Model S or X.

Once you have the problem the only fix is to replace or disinfect the filters, but without a permanent fix it will happen again. Tesla is so ahead of the pack on so many issues, and then stuff like this happens.

• Funny
Reactions: raynewman
Well from the looks every car has this issue but I think its exacerbated by the fact thats its an EV. In an EV you can have the A/C on whenever you want. From cooling the car on a hot day or sleeping in it at night and its likely that people are going to use the A/C on more compared to usage on other cars thanks to the massive glass roof pumping a fair amount of heat.

I knew a truck that had this issue since the guy ran the A/C pretty much 24/7 while driving it and being a truck driver in Australia that was a really long time.

I still believe there is probably some kind of design flaw? But it seems to be like that based on what I know about it.

Yep tessie I agree. I’ve only had the car for 2months so there would have to be some design fault element to it as I have barely used the AC as there hasn’t been that much warm weather in Melbourne. Also there is a staggering amount of reports from USA users and plenty of YouTube videos so it is particularly prevalent.

I wonder if the fact that the AC also has to run to cool the battery (eg when super charging etc) exacerbates whatever design flaw there is with proper water drainage.

I did turn on the AC mode in cabin overheat protection a few weeks back and although I never actually saw it come on perhaps it contributed.

I’m a little puzzled @raynewman as to which part of my post you found funny. You’ve done that to me a couple of times with posts where I wasn’t actually trying to be funny?! Maybe I’m slow! :rolleyes:
I just find all the crabby people on this forum funnee.
Personally, I think Tesla is the best thing since sliced bread (not perfect, just very good).
Getting crabby doesn't help.

I just find all the crabby people on this forum funnee.
Personally, I think Tesla is the best thing since sliced bread (not perfect, just very good).
Getting crabby doesn't help.
In what way am I being crabby? I pointed out at how far ahead of the pack Tesla is in so many areas, which tends to only amplify the disappointment when they miss a trick.

Tesla is not above criticism. Smelly AC is not acceptable in any car, let alone a $70k+ one, and users should not need to finesse how they use their AC to prevent the problem. As I said, I’ve never heard of this ever being an issue in any car until I started reading Tesla’s Model 3 Forum. It’s just head-scratching that it should happen.

• Funny
Reactions: raynewman
In what way am I being crabby? I pointed out at how far ahead of the pack Tesla is in so many areas, which tends to only amplify the disappointment when they miss a trick.

Tesla is not above criticism. Smelly AC is not acceptable in any car, let alone a $70k+ one, and users should not need to finesse how they use their AC to prevent the problem. As I said, I’ve never heard of this ever being an issue in any car until I started reading Tesla’s Model 3 Forum. It’s just head-scratching that it should happen.
Fyi I had this issue on the horrible audi A4. Its not limited to tesla.

Fyi I had this issue on the horrible audi A4. Its not limited to tesla.
Never said it was, since S/X don’t seem to have this issue, but it seems a common problem on Model 3 going by reports in the US fora. Clearly I’ve been incredibly lucky to have never experienced this in any car I’ve ever owned or driven, or heard about it happening in any car owned by any of my friends. Hopefully whatever the problem was has been fixed in model year 2020 builds, and I’ll continue my lucky streak :D