Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Tesla X Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why they allow key card pairing without a pin or a special card. At this point, any card lets you add a new card. But at least it does warn you if the car and phone are online at the time.
It is because your phone app (the special card) is authenticated to Tesla. Once that is set up, and you are logged in. Any number of cards can be added. once a card is added, that can be used authenticate any fobs and other cards, you might have. When I took delivery, they only wanted to make sure the Tesla app on my phone was working. I set up all the cards and fobs at home, well after delivery.

Back then (June, 2022), the car was delivered with two cards, and two fobs, none of which were programmed. Your phone and your cards, support multiple vehicles. The fob only supports one car at a time.

It is because your phone app (the special card) is authenticated to Tesla. Once that is set up, and you are logged in. Any number of cards can be added. once a card is added, that can be used authenticate any fobs and other cards, you might have. When I took delivery, they only wanted to make sure the Tesla app on my phone was working. I set up all the cards and fobs at home, well after delivery.

Back then (June, 2022), the car was delivered with two cards, and two fobs, none of which were programmed. Your phone and your cards, support multiple vehicles. The fob only supports one car at a time.
Last I tried to add a key card, all I needed was another already added key card. Maybe more recent software changed this?

Funny, but I just received that same notice on my phone today. "a key has been added" it just popped up on my phone, but I can't find anything about it on the Tesla app. I checked the car to see if any phones had been added. None that i could see. From what i seen, there were the two key cards and one "unkown" key at the bottom of the list. I tried to remove it, but strangely it ask for the key to be place where it's supposed to be in the center before it would remove the key. WELL I DON'T HAVE THE UNKNOWN KEY, so how could I put it there to remove it? So, I'm sorta wondering what's going to happen now.
If you recently activated Charge on Solar you'll get that message.

I think you can place any key. It doesn’t have to be the one you are removing.
Yep! you are correct. I got a hold of tech support. They were helpful for sure. My unknown key was at the bottom of the list. The logo's for the keycards are cards. The logo on this "unknown" key, was a skeleton key. Tesla says the only time he's seen that is service key. But when service uses it, they show a date. Mine didn't show a date. But yes, any key will remove the unwanted key.

Definitely take to Tesla ASAP, esp if you cannot make the new key go away. But buying a new key won't recode all the keys for one of the new cars with key cards and phone pairing. That's only for the older fob systems.

But,that does bring up a good point. If the card you have has somehow been cloned, purchasing a new one and removing that one might be wise.

Not sure why they allow key card pairing without a pin or a special card. At this point, any card lets you add a new card. But at least it does warn you if the car and phone are online at the time.

Edit: and add pin to drive
I did add valet last night. Figured, better than nothing! Maybe that's why my car is still here.

Yep! you are correct. I got a hold of tech support. They were helpful for sure. My unknown key was at the bottom of the list. The logo's for the keycards are cards. The logo on this "unknown" key, was a skeleton key. Tesla says the only time he's seen that is service key. But when service uses it, they show a date. Mine didn't show a date. But yes, any key will remove the unwanted key.
Was Tesla able to remove the “unknown” skeleton key?

I'm not clear on this. I did activate solar, but months ago. But what do you mean, if I activated Charge on Solar? And what message will I get? Unlocked, A new key has been added or a new key showing on my app? Keep in mind, this all showed on the car side and not the solar side. Thanks
Charge on Solar is a recent addition-when I turned it on in the app I got pairing messages from our Powerwall and later a notification of a new key added.
Might not be what happened for you.

Definitely take to Tesla ASAP, esp if you cannot make the new key go away. But buying a new key won't recode all the keys for one of the new cars with key cards and phone pairing. That's only for the older fob systems.

But,that does bring up a good point. If the card you have has somehow been cloned, purchasing a new one and removing that one might be wise.

Edit: and add pin to drive
The key was removed simply. I misunderstood when it said, place key in center console area. I thought it had to be the key I wanted to remove. It could be any of my key's. it's gone now.

Reactions: zoomer0056