Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StormWatch on in NorCal again! (September 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow, Vegas high would be only 79F, looks like the wind is picking up quickly. Better take that possible 1am outage seriously and start charging up after 8 or 10 tonight.

I saw a post from San Diego that their house voltage spiked to 270V for a few minutes... more battery on the grid will definitely help stabilie the grid better. Elon is demonstrating it in Australia... how about some love here?!? :)

That is interesting... I would have thought having PW means you are getting power conditioning/backup...

The Powerwall switchover isn't instantaneous...it takes a fraction of a second to cut over from grid power to batteries. You might see lights flicker. But the downtime is enough to make computers and some other electronic devices reboot. So having a UPS is still actually useful. (If the Powerwalls are already providing power to the house, the cutover appears to be instant/seamless.) This point is not, of course, mentioned in Tesla's advertising or (as far as I remember) documentation. :confused:

Also I can say first-hand that the Powerwalls don't do any voltage conditioning...we have some voltage sags in our neighborhood with everybody's AC running (as low as 105V L1-N this afternoon). My Powerwalls just pass that through (interestingly one of my UPSs starts using its own battery to emit 120V on its outputs when this happens). My solar inverter also shuts down on a low-voltage condition like this, which is...suboptimal.

Bruce.

To me, it was confusing. He said midnight Tuesday. Isn't midnight Monday 12 am tonight and midnight Tuesday tomorrow night? And 12 pm Tuesday noon tomorrow?

I always assumed midnight tonight means start of new day.

I think this is why insurance policies always take effect at 12:01AM. Just to avoid any confusion about exactly which day midnight belongs to.

This is my house in Las Vegas in a <10 yr old house. Did not need to charge EV overnight. Our TOU Peak is 1pm-7pm. EV rate is 10p-8am. No Powerwall - yet. :)

upload_2020-9-7_21-2-51.png

wife and I disagree. Midnight is Monday. 12:01am is Tuesday

But why do you draw the line there at 1 minute after midnight? What about 12:00:01? Or 12:00:00.01?

If you look at the 24 hour clock it goes up to 23:59:59 and then it goes to 00:00. That certainly makes it look like 00:00 is the start of the new day. And 00:00 on a 24 hour clock is the same as 12:00AM.

Like I said above, insurance companies use 12:01 because there is a lot of confusion here. But I think that 12:00AM being the start of the new day makes more sense logically.

But why do you draw the line there at 1 minute after midnight? What about 12:00:01? Or 12:00:00.01?

If you look at the 24 hour clock it goes up to 23:59:59 and then it goes to 00:00. That certainly makes it look like 00:00 is the start of the new day. And 00:00 on a 24 hour clock is the same as 12:00AM.

Like I said above, insurance companies use 12:01 because there is a lot of confusion here. But I think that 12:00AM being the start of the new day makes more sense logically.

I've heard military people refer to 2400 hours as midnight

Today I was trying to override the Storm Watch setting on my system (to keep it *out* of Storm Watch mode, because that's still active). The Tesla iOS app seems to have accepted the change, but when we went into the peak period this afternoon, the Powerwalls didn't take over the load like they should have (so basically I've got full batteries, and my house is being run from the grid plus a little bit of solar). Multiple resets of the gateway and random fiddling with the app settings has not improved the situation.

Then I called Tesla Energy support and described the problem, and they said it's a known back-end issue affecting multiple customers, and they're working on it. No ETR at this point.

So if you've been relying on being able to toggle the Storm Watch override (like some of us might have been doing), consider that this might not work correctly just now. And yes I've been able to toggle this successfully the past few days.

Bruce.