Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck inside my car right now: software update is stalled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did an update on a roadtrip while we stopped for a kid potty break - felt like a good idea at the time. And it seemed like it froze. Started to get worried as we were a long way from home and the car seemed dead/unresponsive... then about 20 mins later it came back to life
I had that same experience while updating at the gym. I got freaked out because it wasn’t responding until what seemed like forever. I have since decided I will only update when I get home. It’s really not that important to update ASAP.

Reactions: Sherlo
I am in the middle of installing 2020.4.1

The car’s screen says “Software updating to 2020.4.1” and below says “Updating Autopilot”

It has been like this for about 45 minutes with no progress

I am sitting inside my car and stuck inside my car

I unplugged the TeslaCam USB and locked and closed the doors before starting the update

Any advice on what to do?
I guess you didn't see one of my posts about this. It was stuck at that level on my car for hours and then went to 60% and stayed there for several more hours. Total was 11 hours. Just wait it out. I took a couple short trips while it was updating.

Reactions: hp1234

The car’s screen says “Software updating to 2020.4.1” and below says “Updating Autopilot”

I unplugged the TeslaCam USB and locked and closed the doors before starting the update

Don't update while sitting in your car. Do it when you have a couple of hours to spare. Don't watch it -- just like boiling water...

Reactions: evannole
Wow. I didn’t know the doors won’t open during a software update. I will fold that info away
Yeah, me neither. Needed to leave my house quickly yesterday and the car would not open. Looked through window and screen said car was doing and update (that I did not trigger). Had to wait until it was done to access my own damn car. Good thing it wasn't an emergency that I needed to drive for but it very well could have been. Kind of ridiculous that there is no way to override an update and drive your car if need be.

MRAU - Whur'd you git the Reddy Kilowatt logo? Haven't seen him in years! Dad worked for the power company and I think we had RK on everything he wore!

@milleron got it right on how to find RK. My father also worked for the power company, and I saw Reddy Killowatt quite a bit as a kid too. Just seemed fitting for an electric car forum. Feel free to pick one and use it.....he likes to get around.

Reactions: drdumont
What is this "lever" that's being mentioned (to get out of the car)? I'm missing something here. Is there something in the manual?

It’s the manual door release that is only on the front doors. It is specifically for when the car doesn’t have any power to operate the electronic door release. The rear doors do not have a manual release on the inside. It is mentioned on page 13 of the Model 3 owners manual.

E358353A-3CF9-41B1-8BC6-AC30CA7A0B98.jpeg

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and hoang51

The last couple of updates (2020.4.1 and 2019.whatever), I noticed a msg on the phone app - "updating software" with a percentage complete. It never told me it was available or allowed scheduling. Eventually the msg said "100% complete" but it didn't show the new release in the Tesla icon screen. Since I've got crappy Wi-fi reception in my garage, I moved the car out next to the house where my extender would be closer. Eventually, it downloaded but still with no choice about when to install it. Weird! Is this the new way Tesla is doing updates?....