TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sub 5 sec 0-60 time (Speculation)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by a.void, Jul 11, 2017.

1. a.void

a.void Member

The recent update to the Model S/X 0-60 times brought the 0-60 time low-mid 4's respectively.

I speculate the Model 3 tests sub 5 secs (4.5-4.9 range).
    I think Tesla is withholding a couple key specs like battery range and 0-60 times that will ultimately come in better than advertised.

Less than 3 weeks until the full reveal :)

2. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Everyone is expecting something a little more because that's what Tesla does. What'd be useful is to know for 0-60 times is what hardware they are putting in it? Like how are the motor and inverter rated? How much does it actually cost Tesla to equip a car with X HP?

3. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

The 5.6 second time is relatively recent, I thought from the pre-production model tests. Why would you expect it to go down at this point?

• Like x 1
  4. Parzival

Parzival Member

This might be an unpopular sentiment, but I really hope it's not any faster than 5.6 sec or so. Let them save that for performance models. It's already going to be faster than most cars on the road. More performance will just push up insurance cost and make it so I won't want to let my kids drive it when they become teenagers.

Car and Driver puts my 1995 E36 M3 0-60 time at 5.6 seconds. I got into wayyyyy too much trouble in that car.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

The P75, sure. 355, the 5.6 or whatever it is. Stop hoping for more. Tesla just need to deliver original spec and it'll be fine.

6. timk225

timk225 Member

#6 timk225, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    5.6 is a bit weaksauce and unimpressive, considering the bigger, heavier S goes mid 4's.

My 2011 Challenger R/T does 5.1 to 5.2 0-60, my personal best is 5.14 with the in dash 0-60 performance timer.

So the 3 should be able to pound out 5.0's with no problem. 5.3 at the slowest.

Remember, every time we leave hard on some broke wanna-be boy racer in his fart piped Honda Civic at a stoplight, we are speaking for all Tesla EVs. We can't go losing races unless the other car is really built. Running the same 0-60 as a BMW isn't good enough. The 3 has to be BETTER.

• Disagree x 12
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  7. a.void

a.void Member

Not necessarily hoping, but merely speculation based on recent info.

Why did they suddenly improve the 0-60 on the s/x a month before the model 3 release? It
    Battery on the prototype appears to be closer to 300 than the 215.

Under promise and over deliver
    There is competition and Tesla can set the bar very high.

Of course this is as much speculation as half the other posts

8. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Probably to further differentiate the S and X, which went quite slow given the price. Especially on the X

9. TrickyDimitri

TrickyDimitri Soon...very soon.

The P version of the Model 3 will likely be super fast with the 0-60 time, but I feel like the core M3 consumer's attention will fall much more on range, safety, and convenience features. I live in the suburbs and drive a Prius for god's sake!!! I feel they brought the time down for the S/X to help stop the thinking that the base M3 is just going to be a cheaper S. Part of the underselling strategy.

• Like x 1
  10. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I'm thinking the 5.6 second will be pretty accurate for the base level 3. It will be a lot faster than any other vehicle the person has probably owned as an everyday driver. Same as the S and X, you save the faster times for the larger battery packs. I would be shocked if the base level 3 isn't above 5 seconds. I could see a couple tenths faster for a push in marketing though.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#11 TEG, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    With bigger battery Model S (previously) performing much better than the smaller battery (e.g.: 85 vs 60), I had hoped that initial Model 3 with bigger battery would perform much better than the 0-60 in 5.6 quoted presumably for the base battery model. But now that they made the base Model S more quick, I am starting to wonder just how much battery size was a limiting factor. Putting aside that doubt, I was guessing something like:
    0-60 in 5.5 for base 60kWh
    0-60 in 5.0 for 75kWh pack
    0-60 in 4.5 for AWD dual drive 75d
    0-60 in 4.0 for P75D model 3

One could dream of Model S P100D 0-60 < 3s, but I am guessing that they won't put such powerful expensive motors into Model 3, and the smaller battery limits max performance.
    But this is all just a bunch of guesswork. I never thought I would see any Model S that could do < 3 sec (or the ridiculously ludicrous ~2.3) so I assume I have no clue at this point.

Also, I wonder if Model S 75 now might use the new Model 3 motor / inverter? Is that how they got a performance bump?

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Elon specified 0-60 times of < 6.0 at the reveal. The 5.6 time was first shown in the Model 3 vs Model S comparison sheet that Tesla released.

• Informative x 2
  13. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

What is their cost difference for the more powerful motor? How much does the smaller battery limit performance?

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I wish I knew. Perhaps only Tesla knows.

15. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

Tesla will probably benchmark vs the German luxury cars. The BMW 330i ($38K) does 5.4 sec, and the 340i ($48K) does 4.6 sec. I think the base 60kwh(?) Model 3's 5.6 sec is competitive vs the 330i, and the 75kwh (non-P) version should be competitive vs the 340i, and the P model will be competitive vs the M3 which is 3.8 sec.

• Like x 3
  16. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

We have pretty good information from Tesla that 0-60 is 5.6 (Elon's initial claim of less than 6 seconds followed by the comparison table from Tesla of 5.6). The MS/X must maintain product differentiation to exist. Size can be the biggest differentiator, but Tesla has also chosen to also ensure that the expensive line(s) are quicker and have greater range. Dealer's choice. I think getting 5.6 out of the base model was relatively easy for Tesla with all their technology and knowledge. They could get the time lower, but at the risk of cannibalizing S/X. Over the years as competitors force them to Tesla will lower the times just like they forced themselves with the S/X

• Like x 3
  17. a.void

a.void Member

That sheet also showed the old 5.2 for the Model S. ;)
    Improved software has obviously happened as of late. Why couldn't/ wouldn't that apply to the Model 3 too?

• Helpful x 1
  18. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

Agreed.

Also, the biggest differentiator between the S/X and 3 right now, and probably for the next year or more, is that if you want a car now-ish you can buy the S/X. A fast 3 doesn't threaten the sales of S/X that much at the moment.

19. Boourns

Boourns Member

I don't think there's any harm in the performance 3 being quicker than the base S. My prediction is the base 3 will be 5.6 or whatever Elon already said, the 75D will be about the same as the base S at 4.2-ish, and then the P75D will be sub 4.

• Helpful x 1
  20. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

It's on Tesla's website and shows 2.3-4.3 sec now for the MS

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1