Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sub 5 sec 0-60 time (Speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The recent update to the Model S/X 0-60 times brought the 0-60 time low-mid 4's respectively.

I speculate the Model 3 tests sub 5 secs (4.5-4.9 range).
I think Tesla is withholding a couple key specs like battery range and 0-60 times that will ultimately come in better than advertised.

Less than 3 weeks until the full reveal :)

The recent update to the Model S/X 0-60 times brought the 0-60 time low-mid 4's respectively.

I speculate the Model 3 tests sub 5 secs (4.5-4.9 range).
I think Tesla is withholding a couple key specs like battery range and 0-60 times that will ultimately come in better than advertised.

Everyone is expecting something a little more because that's what Tesla does. What'd be useful is to know for 0-60 times is what hardware they are putting in it? Like how are the motor and inverter rated? How much does it actually cost Tesla to equip a car with X HP?

This might be an unpopular sentiment, but I really hope it's not any faster than 5.6 sec or so. Let them save that for performance models. It's already going to be faster than most cars on the road. More performance will just push up insurance cost and make it so I won't want to let my kids drive it when they become teenagers.

Car and Driver puts my 1995 E36 M3 0-60 time at 5.6 seconds. I got into wayyyyy too much trouble in that car.

5.6 is a bit weaksauce and unimpressive, considering the bigger, heavier S goes mid 4's.

My 2011 Challenger R/T does 5.1 to 5.2 0-60, my personal best is 5.14 with the in dash 0-60 performance timer.

So the 3 should be able to pound out 5.0's with no problem. 5.3 at the slowest.

Remember, every time we leave hard on some broke wanna-be boy racer in his fart piped Honda Civic at a stoplight, we are speaking for all Tesla EVs. We can't go losing races unless the other car is really built. Running the same 0-60 as a BMW isn't good enough. The 3 has to be BETTER.

Last edited:
Not necessarily hoping, but merely speculation based on recent info.

Why did they suddenly improve the 0-60 on the s/x a month before the model 3 release? It
Battery on the prototype appears to be closer to 300 than the 215.

Under promise and over deliver
There is competition and Tesla can set the bar very high.

Of course this is as much speculation as half the other posts

Not necessarily hoping, but merely speculation based on recent info.

Why did they suddenly improve the 0-60 on the s/x a month before the model 3 release? It
Battery on the prototype appears to be closer to 300 than the 215.

Under promise and over deliver
There is competition and Tesla can set the bar very high.

Of course this is as much speculation as half the other posts
Probably to further differentiate the S and X, which went quite slow given the price. Especially on the X

The P version of the Model 3 will likely be super fast with the 0-60 time, but I feel like the core M3 consumer's attention will fall much more on range, safety, and convenience features. I live in the suburbs and drive a Prius for god's sake!!! I feel they brought the time down for the S/X to help stop the thinking that the base M3 is just going to be a cheaper S. Part of the underselling strategy.

Reactions: hoang51
I'm thinking the 5.6 second will be pretty accurate for the base level 3. It will be a lot faster than any other vehicle the person has probably owned as an everyday driver. Same as the S and X, you save the faster times for the larger battery packs. I would be shocked if the base level 3 isn't above 5 seconds. I could see a couple tenths faster for a push in marketing though.

The 5.6 second time is relatively recent, I thought from the pre-production model tests. Why would you expect it to go down at this point?

With bigger battery Model S (previously) performing much better than the smaller battery (e.g.: 85 vs 60), I had hoped that initial Model 3 with bigger battery would perform much better than the 0-60 in 5.6 quoted presumably for the base battery model. But now that they made the base Model S more quick, I am starting to wonder just how much battery size was a limiting factor. Putting aside that doubt, I was guessing something like:
0-60 in 5.5 for base 60kWh
0-60 in 5.0 for 75kWh pack
0-60 in 4.5 for AWD dual drive 75d
0-60 in 4.0 for P75D model 3

One could dream of Model S P100D 0-60 < 3s, but I am guessing that they won't put such powerful expensive motors into Model 3, and the smaller battery limits max performance.
But this is all just a bunch of guesswork. I never thought I would see any Model S that could do < 3 sec (or the ridiculously ludicrous ~2.3) so I assume I have no clue at this point.

Also, I wonder if Model S 75 now might use the new Model 3 motor / inverter? Is that how they got a performance bump?

Last edited:
No, I think that 5.6 time was quoted right at the initial intro, where I guess they hadn't even finished the engineering on the car. Some sort of calculations showed that they should be able to best that number even for the "base" model. With bigger battery Model S (previously) performing much better than the smaller battery (e.g.: 85 vs 60), I had hoped that initial Model 3 with bigger battery would perform much better than the 0-60 in 5.6 quoted. But now that they made the base Model S more quick, I am starting to wonder just how much battery size was a limiting factor. Putting aside that doubt, I was guessing something like:
0-60 in 5.5 for base 60kWh
0-60 in 5.0 for 75kWh pack
0-60 in 4.5 for AWD dual drive 75d
0-60 in 4.0 for P75D

One could dream of Model S P100D 0-60 < 3s, but I am guessing that they won't put such powerful expensive motors into Model 3, and the smaller battery limits max performance.
But this is all just a bunch of guesswork. I never thought I would see any Model S that could do < 3 sec (or the ridiculously ludicrous ~2.5) so I assume I have no clue at this point.

Also, I wonder if Model S 75 now might use the new Model 3 motor / inverter? Is that how they got a performance bump?
Elon specified 0-60 times of < 6.0 at the reveal. The 5.6 time was first shown in the Model 3 vs Model S comparison sheet that Tesla released.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and garsh
We have pretty good information from Tesla that 0-60 is 5.6 (Elon's initial claim of less than 6 seconds followed by the comparison table from Tesla of 5.6). The MS/X must maintain product differentiation to exist. Size can be the biggest differentiator, but Tesla has also chosen to also ensure that the expensive line(s) are quicker and have greater range. Dealer's choice. I think getting 5.6 out of the base model was relatively easy for Tesla with all their technology and knowledge. They could get the time lower, but at the risk of cannibalizing S/X. Over the years as competitors force them to Tesla will lower the times just like they forced themselves with the S/X

That sheet also showed the old 5.2 for the Model S. ;)
Improved software has obviously happened as of late. Why couldn't/ wouldn't that apply to the Model 3 too?
Agreed.

Also, the biggest differentiator between the S/X and 3 right now, and probably for the next year or more, is that if you want a car now-ish you can buy the S/X. A fast 3 doesn't threaten the sales of S/X that much at the moment.

I don't think there's any harm in the performance 3 being quicker than the base S. My prediction is the base 3 will be 5.6 or whatever Elon already said, the 75D will be about the same as the base S at 4.2-ish, and then the P75D will be sub 4.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx