Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subscription or purchase of FSD for 75 year olds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing some recent YouTube videos of how well FSD is working and from my own limited driving on a one month subscription I'm wondering about continuing with a subscription or buying it outright for $15,000 for future reselling of the vehicle. I know predicting the future is difficult but lets say with in a year it really works and catches on and they substantially raise the price of it and the subscription as well. I would lose the ability to enjoy the driving on FSD. I was just getting to the point of trusting it. (but very attentive and supervising it) I've recently heard some dramatic very near future predictions for it . I would appreciate ya'lls thoughts on this.

I know predicting the future is difficult but lets say with in a year it really works
You can say that if you want, but in my opinion, I would not take that $15,000 bet.

I have been using FSD since November of '21 and experiencing the progress since then. It has improved, for sure, but it is nowhere near autonomous, and not really approaching that level. We are still many, many years away from that. And until it becomes truly autonomous, I think it almost requires MORE attention than if you were just driving without it.

I did "invest" in FSD at a time when it was only $2K with the thought that yes, maybe it's worth the bet such that maybe when I'm unable to drive safely myself, maybe it would be ready (still many years off I hope), but I've since learned that the FSD talk & videos are mostly hype.

If it were me, I wouldn't even subscribe until it reached a much more mature level, and meanwhile put your money away and working for you.

Also keep in mind how long you think you will keep the car (and also not be in any accidents with it that could total it. These cars can get totaled out easily…). At current pricing that break even point is 6.25 years.

If “future reselling of the vehicle” is even a slight factor, then don’t buy FSD. I bought it for both Teslas and recently traded one of them to Tesla during the current three-month “amnesty” allowing transfer of FSD to my new car. Without that “amnesty“ I would have kept my two cars until they died. Trade value of FSD is almost zero. I probably overpaid in 2019 when I added FSD to both cars during a one-time FSD sale that Musk promised would not be repeated — and so far has not. The total cost in two phases was $5000 for AP/FSD on one car and $7000 for EAP/FSD on the other. On hindsight even $12000 for two cars was probably not worth it.

Musk has made many grandiose promises about robotaxis and other nonsense with the hardware installed as early as 2016. Meanwhile, I don’t believe even the new HW4 on my recent purchase will ever be capable of full self-driving. If I was you, I would consider paying the monthly fee when a trip is planned but keep the $15000. You’ll only get a small fraction of that expenditure back in a future sale and Musk’s 7 years of inflated promises will only lead to more ridiculous claims as newer software and hardware are developed.

Last edited:
Reactions: araxara
Also keep in mind how long you think you will keep the car (and also not be in any accidents with it that could total it. These cars can get totaled out easily…). At current pricing that break even point is 6.25 years.
An accident, thats a very good point. and one thing that truly bothers me is that of getting used to it stopping at red lights. last week we had to drive gas car to church. When we came out an hour and a half later the car was still running. forgot that I had to turn it off. will that happen with red lights? Only has to happen one time.

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
Seeing some recent YouTube videos of how well FSD is working and from my own limited driving on a one month subscription I'm wondering about continuing with a subscription or buying it outright for $15,000 for future reselling of the vehicle. I know predicting the future is difficult but lets say with in a year it really works and catches on ay substantially raise the price of it and the subscription as well. I would lose the ability to enjoy the driving on FSD. I was just getting to the point of trusting it. (but very attentive and supervising it) I've recently heard some dramatic very near future predictions for it . I would appreciate ya'lls thoughts on this.
With a break-even at 6.25 years, will you be driving that same car then? If YES then buy it at $12K. If you figure on trading up or out then go subscription. I've subscribed for a few months to try it out and dropped it since then. I'll wait until V12 goes through a few dot releases then try it again. The subscription approach lets you do this at a much lower cost while the purchase does not. BUT ... as Derek of Vise Grip Garage says: "I'm an idiot. Do what I do at your own risk ...".

NO ONE should be paying $12K+ for FSD at this point. There is absolutely no reason to believe that it will come out of beta and reach Level 4 in the foreseeable future. That it can be transferred to another vehicle is something that has never been offered before & may never be offered again.