Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subzero experience - lessons learnt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The subzero refers to where my battery charge ended up as much as the fact that it was cold. A little bit of poetic license. I think the context is there in the text. No need for moderator censorship i think.
I thought your post was going to be about a very expensive brand of refridgerator. If you havnt heard of them, you’ll need to ask your bank manager for 35k before you buy.

The range means nothing unless you're using the energy tab and trip range, which takes into account the wh/mi. Always, always, always use percent, not distance. Obviously this is more insidious in the cold, where the wh/mi is about double the normal usage, which explains why you got 1/2 the stated range.

But man, how agonizing to be ~200m from the big downhill! Glad you're ok.

Reactions: BenT
This experience renews interest in an emergency generator. I have a Honda 3kW petrol alternator I take on the more adventurous trips where there is a risk of going flat such as described here. Mine ways 30kg & max charge is 12A. I feel a lighter two stroke engine would be acceptable as an emergency generator as efficiency is of little interest-it is only an emergency generator.

This experience renews interest in an emergency generator. I have a Honda 3kW petrol alternator I take on the more adventurous trips where there is a risk of going flat such as described here. Mine ways 30kg & max charge is 12A. I feel a lighter two stroke engine would be acceptable as an emergency generator as efficiency is of little interest-it is only an emergency generator.
2-stroke is extremely dirty and polluting. Please don't.

Once you are used to driving electric you will get used to how things go and how to make it to your next charging point, including backups. I've been driving electric for 6.5 years and I've never run out and never had to use the emergency "granny cable" that lives in the under-floor compartment. As the saying goes, "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail".

There is absolutely no need for a generator, even in regional areas of Australia, if your driving on sealed roads that ICE vehicles use there is enough fuel stations, homesteads or other locations where humans reside that has electricity.

Reactions: baillies and paulp
When I bought my first tesla I was deeply concerned about range. I was taking it to live in Adelaide where tesla and other charge points simply didnt exist (they do now). I insisted that tesla included the mobile charger or the deal was off. At that time the mobile charger wasnt standard equipment with each sale. Sold the car 3 years later. Never did get to use that mobile charger, never went below 100km remaining, and never felt restricted. My range anxiety is properly cured.

Reactions: baillies
Um... other than the unformatted wall of text, I only have one additional comment.

Isn't it highly irresponsible of someone to let their car get down to 20km of range with family on board in winter temperatures? Sorry you had to go through that, but I hope you never do that again!

That's a stupid statement. If you have ever driven your Tesla outside of a city in Australia you will find that 20 km's of spare range is a luxury you don't always have. I have driven across Australia, around Australia, up and down Australia. Living outside a Supercharger network means arriving with 1 or 2% spare is common place.

I think as we see more cars getting into the 100,000 to 200,000km range we will see more and more cars falling short of there indicated range as the batteries get tired.

That's a stupid statement. If you have ever driven your Tesla outside of a city in Australia you will find that 20 km's of spare range is a luxury you don't always have. I have driven across Australia, around Australia, up and down Australia. Living outside a Supercharger network means arriving with 1 or 2% spare is common place.

I think as we see more cars getting into the 100,000 to 200,000km range we will see more and more cars falling short of there indicated range as the batteries get tired.
I agree with this. It's even more of an issue now that 85kW/hr battery car owners have had 50-60km of range removed from their cars by software 'updates'.

Reactions: raynewman
At nearly 60k KMs, and having run close a few times (eg Melb to Adelaide before there were any superchargers past Ballarat), I am wondering how much permanent range degradation occurs when the battery gets below 20kms/5%, let alone if it gets to full shutdown mode (and full commiserations to anyone in that situation - we've all had surprises with sudden range drops and times when charging isn't possible despite plans).

I noticed a sudden 5km reduction in 80% charged range after towing a trailer on a long trip and arriving with 4% to spare (I use both typical range and %. Typical range is usually v accurate unless towing or at a ski resort for a few days where the cold and limited regen on the way down can mess your expectations).

You expect to lose a percent or maybe a bit more in range each year as the batteries get older and more cycled, but does running really low (ie below 5%) accelerate that process a lot? I'd assumed so, but interested if that is in fact what others have experienced?

At nearly 60k KMs, and having run close a few times (eg Melb to Adelaide before there were any superchargers past Ballarat), I am wondering how much permanent range degradation occurs when the battery gets below 20kms/5%, let alone if it gets to full shutdown mode (and full commiserations to anyone in that situation - we've all had surprises with sudden range drops and times when charging isn't possible despite plans).

I noticed a sudden 5km reduction in 80% charged range after towing a trailer on a long trip and arriving with 4% to spare (I use both typical range and %. Typical range is usually v accurate unless towing or at a ski resort for a few days where the cold and limited regen on the way down can mess your expectations).

You expect to lose a percent or maybe a bit more in range each year as the batteries get older and more cycled, but does running really low (ie below 5%) accelerate that process a lot? I'd assumed so, but interested if that is in fact what others have experienced?

As there is still 5% to 7% still remaining in the battery pack when getting down to zero I don't see this as an issue as long as the pack doesn't get left in this state for too long.
you may find the drop in typical range may at 80% may be due to a recent update that has removed a small part of usable capacity on earlier vehicles.

Reactions: Oz Will
As there is still 5% to 7% still remaining in the battery pack when getting down to zero I don't see this as an issue as long as the pack doesn't get left in this state for too long.
you may find the drop in typical range may at 80% may be due to a recent update that has removed a small part of usable capacity on earlier vehicles.
Also it’s even better than that.
When you run out because of cold there is actually even more energy in the battery that’s unavailable.
So effectively the state of charge is not even at the “fake” zero when you run out, of the battery temp is very cold.

Reactions: Oz Will
The car shutting down is not directly tied to the number of kms remaining. The kms remaining and the actual SOC percentage is estimated by coulomb counting and voltage monitoring. It actually shuts down when the lowest cell group violates the low voltage limit. The battery voltage sags when under load and sags more when cold because the chemical reactions inside the cells are slowed. When you start to get low, you will see a power limit on the instruments and the more gingerly you use the accelerator, the further you can drive.

If you take a really long drive, using much more power than usual (eg towing), I think the car "learns" that and so decreases your typical range, as if you will always be using more power in the future

'small' if you call a 60km loss out of 385km previous range, small.
Hi, We've had all the software updates that have been made available so far and haven't had that? Used to get about 381kms typical at 80% when new in early Feb 17 (P100D MX). It is now at 368kms typical at 80% 2.6 years and 55,000 kms later. I did notice a few Kms loss after one software release (I stopped calling software version changes "upgrades" long ago), but nothing like 60kms! Presumably (he says in hope!) what software taketh away, software can returneth.... the power is still there in the battery if a future software release reverses the power reservation? Odd though that the release that caused rhe problem didn't affect all similar batteries the same way? Or maybe I am just the odd one??

Hi, We've had all the software updates that have been made available so far and haven't had that? Used to get about 381kms typical at 80% when new in early Feb 17 (P100D MX). It is now at 368kms typical at 80% 2.6 years and 55,000 kms later. I did notice a few Kms loss after one software release (I stopped calling software version changes "upgrades" long ago), but nothing like 60kms! Presumably (he says in hope!) what software taketh away, software can returneth.... the power is still there in the battery if a future software release reverses the power reservation? Odd though that the release that caused rhe problem didn't affect all similar batteries the same way? Or maybe I am just the odd one??
100 packs are not affected by the recent firmware changes. AFAIK, 85 packs are the primary victims. These are older Model S cars that were made before Model X production started.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Here's the Teslafi battery range report. You can see when the software 'update' happened, you can also see the benefit of a 100% charge to balance the charge in the pack, 10km regained

Battery.jpg

Here's the Teslafi battery range report. You can see when the software 'update' happened, you can also see the benefit of a 100% charge to balance the charge in the pack, 10km regained

View attachment 441811

High SoC charging only recalibrates the SoC gauge. The pack can always balance. Early (non Tesla) types of BMS were just shunt regulators across the cell groups that limited max voltage. Tesla's tech is better than that.