Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful data recovery of broken eMMC chip MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have a preference of emmc adapters? Looking at the allsocket with USB: https://amzn.to/3bXtAAo vs the Allsocket with the SD adapter: https://amzn.to/32jeUHB
Your thoughts?
Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer, but I have a failed chip and love learning.
I originally bought the SD version, but it was incompatible with the Hynix eMMC chip I unsoldered from my early model MCU. This was confirmed by the AllSocket engineering folks as an incompatibility. They suggested that swapping out cap C1 on the reader would likely fix it.

Instead I returned it for the USB model (DS3000-USB-eMMC153/169-Black ). I actually like a ew things about it better:

- R/W switch
- PWR, I/O, ERR status LEDs
- Power button (useful, as during my recovery I'd often have to reset the device in order for the chip to stabilize and present itself as a block device again)
- Doesn't require a sperate SD-card reader for machines that don't have them built in

Am I right in saying though, that with the USB version you can not plug wires onto its signals to simulate a chip inside?

I should have a bunch of the replacement capacitors soon for the MMC card version. I don't mind sharing.

Still reconstructing my site from a recent spam slam, but only have pictures remaining and to get emailing working for MediaWiki. That will never happen again, I can tell you. Never dreamed that MediaWiki could be so unsecure in the 21st Century.

Hello again guys!
I've been at this now for a few hours, at first i tried pin connections to the shown pinouts but no luck.
I then decided to solder the points firmly so i would be sure to get a good connection.

I bought a Easy Jtag Z3X Plus reader with ISP.
I've now tried to read out from the tegra card for a few hours with no luck.

Does my solder points look correct?
Im out of ideas today of what i could be doing wrong here.
Power supply draws around 700-750mA at 2.8V.

IMG_20200226_171712-1.jpg

Am I right in saying though, that with the USB version you can not plug wires onto its signals to simulate a chip inside?

I should have a bunch of the replacement capacitors soon for the MMC card version. I don't mind sharing.

Still reconstructing my site from a recent spam slam, but only have pictures remaining and to get emailing working for MediaWiki. That will never happen again, I can tell you. Never dreamed that MediaWiki could be so unsecure in the 21st Century.
Yes, correct, that is a downside if you are wanting to use to attach leads directly to the MCU: The USB version does not have header pins.

That having been said, the chip-carrier socket is actually itself socketed, so the pins are available if one wanted to replace the chip carrier with a couple of connectors to break out the connections to leads you could solder... I don't recall that they are labeled however, so not as convenient as the header on the SD version.

I originally bought the SD version, but it was incompatible with the Hynix eMMC chip I unsoldered from my early model MCU. This was confirmed by the AllSocket engineering folks as an incompatibility. They suggested that swapping out cap C1 on the reader would likely fix it.
I would not describe that as an incompatibility (because protocol-wise the Hynix eMMC can talk to an SD-card reader) but rather as an example of inadequate HW design on the side of AllSocket which causes the thing to fail due to power delivery issues. (At least it can be fixed by increasing the capacitor.)
On the other hand I was quite satisfied with the performance of the MoorC Emate V1 with the corresponding SD-card adapter (when I had a short look on the board the power delivery was of better design).

Hello again guys!
I've been at this now for a few hours, at first i tried pin connections to the shown pinouts but no luck.
I then decided to solder the points firmly so i would be sure to get a good connection.

I bought a Easy Jtag Z3X Plus reader with ISP.
I've now tried to read out from the tegra card for a few hours with no luck.

Does my solder points look correct?
Im out of ideas today of what i could be doing wrong here.
Power supply draws around 700-750mA at 2.8V.

View attachment 515340
Your missing the connection to "D3" (which acts as CS in 1-bit mode). Add the wiring and it should work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Slexs

Rooter, would this work?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 4.03.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 4.03.13 PM.png
    389.7 KB · Views: 289
Well you need to connect it to the corresponding output of your reader.

The following lines are the minimum required:
CLK, CMD(DI), D0, D3(CS), Power (Vdd/Vcc/whatever you call it) and Ground (Vss/GND).

Power is provided by an external Supply set to 2.7V - Do NOT connect that to your reader, only to the CID.
Ground needs to be connected (Readet, Power Supply and CID).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Well you need to connect it to the corresponding output of your reader.

The following lines are the minimum required:
CLK, CMD(DI), D0, D3(CS), Power (Vdd/Vcc/whatever you call it) and Ground (Vss/GND).

Power is provided by an external Supply set to 2.7V - Do NOT connect that to your reader, only to the CID.
Ground needs to be connected (Readet, Power Supply and CID).

By DI i asume you mean data in, as in Miso(master in, slave out) ? And d0 as mosi(master out, slave in) ? What pin on the AllSocket do you use as CS? I tried checking out the pins but cant see any pin labeled cs on the AllSocket reader? Vcc and GND should be fine as power supply draws 750mA at 2.7V

An eMMC is basically a solder-version of an SD-card, they have the same interface (except that the eMMC provides up to 8 data lines, whereas a normal SD card provides only 4 data lines). An SD-card can be accessed either in 4-bit (MMC) mode or single-bit SPI mode and so can an eMMC. See the pinout:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/tNOGU.png
In 4-bit mode the data lines are bidirectionally used, in SPI mode CMD is used as data input to the card (MOSI in SPI terminology) and D0 is used as data output from the card (or MISO). Since on SPI busses there can be multiple slaves, one also needs a chip-select pin, for which the pin D3/CS is used (in MMC mode, this is data line 3).
So you need to find out where those signals are on the connector of your programmer/reader.

And also I do not have or use an Allsocket adapter. As shown in the pictures, I used an off-the-shelf micro-SD-card reader for in-system data transfer.

• Helpful
Could my eMMC just be completely toast? MCU wont light up the display so im assuming it already has some corruption issues. Could this maybe be the reason it wont be detected?
Of course that is a possibility. But one thing is for sure - without a proper conection between reader and eMMC you won't even get data if the eMMC is NOT toast.