Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful data recovery of broken eMMC chip MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.

I got remote help to read out the emmc of my tegra today. The helper left me stranded with a bunch of files:: Car, car.key, gateway.cfg, mcu_commands_key, mmcblk0.pt, mmcblk0p1.sqfs, mmcblk0p2.sqfs, mmcblk0p3.a, mmcblk0p3.b, mmcblk0p3.ext4, run-heartbeats, syslog, tesla1 and tesla2.

How do i arrange these files into a img file so i can transfer them onto a new blank eMMC?

Today i got a AllSocket reader the sd version with a 1uf cap from the manufacturer installed.

I connected cmd, CLK and d0 lines to the reader, and vcc/GND to a power supply.

When i turn the PS on, it draws 1.06A at 2.8v.

When i try to dmesg in terminal i get this:
15840256433576056039307435799284.jpg

This is the setup im trying to work with:
15840257423041940555246764702942.jpg

15840257740114242666404864721099.jpg

Maybe its a problem thst i connected the sd part of the AllSocket directly into my sd-card slot on the laptop, and i should rather connect it though a usb Sd reader?

The problem seemed to be tied to me using the sd slot in the laptop.

When i connected the AllSocket to a usb Sd reader i got a different Message:
15840277459814657713509853291794.jpg

Maybe now its more about tuning the voltage. Ive only soldered wires to vcc, GND, dmc, CLK and dat0. The workshop i did this at got closed down due to the corona virus today, hope fully i can sneak in tomorrow to solder on d1-d3.

Will try again tonight with a different usb Sd reader and see what happens.

Anyone out there who has an Allsocket EMMC/SD reader (rather than the USB version) who could run a quick experiment? Using mmc-utils (if you don't have it, the install command is "apt install mmc-utils"), and then run "mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcbkl0" (or substitute whatever mmc block device your adapter shows up on).

I have the USB version of Allsocket and it mounts as a scsi device, which lets me read/write the data but does not seem to allow issuing mmc specific commands.
Allsocket-MMC-fail.jpg

If you get a different response than the ioctl error, please post what it looks like. Thanks in advance! :)

I connected cmd, CLK and d0 lines to the reader, and vcc/GND to a power supply.

When i turn the PS on, it draws 1.06A at 2.8v.
[...]
Maybe its a problem thst i connected the sd part of the AllSocket directly into my sd-card slot on the laptop, and i should rather connect it though a usb Sd reader?
As far as I can see, there are only 3 connections between your laptop and the CID - I suppose CLK, CMD and D0. You are missing Ground/VSS. That needs to be connected to all 3 devices (Laptop/Reader, CID and Power Supply).

Anyone out there who has an Allsocket EMMC/SD reader (rather than the USB version) who could run a quick experiment? Using mmc-utils (if you don't have it, the install command is "apt install mmc-utils"), and then run "mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcbkl0" (or substitute whatever mmc block device your adapter shows up on).

I have the USB version of Allsocket and it mounts as a scsi device, which lets me read/write the data but does not seem to allow issuing mmc specific commands.
View attachment 520954
If you get a different response than the ioctl error, please post what it looks like. Thanks in advance! :)

Code:
# mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcblk0
=============================================
  Extended CSD rev 1.0 (MMC 4.0)
=============================================

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: whitex
Friends,

I've managed to ddrescue partition 3 and I'm in the process of rescuing my entire chip. Now, if I try to kpartx -a the 3rd partition image, it'll create /dev/loop9 then, when I try to mount /dev/loop9, I'm getting an NTFS signature is missing error. Any ideas. I'm not a complete linux noob, I at least know how to sudo su (ZINGer from earlier posts), but I'm certainly not the king of Linux. TIA for any help.