Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said impacted cars have condition Z, that condition Z is bad, and that "what is being detected is an issue that will eventually need to be addressed" But go ahead and believe whatever you want.

That is entirely different than your prior claim that he said "that both X and Z would need to be physically fixed eventually." By using the word physically you were saying that the battery pack would need to be repaired or replaced vs. just updating the software.

Interestingly, Tesla replied to Fred from Electrek.

They told him that new releases will fix this range issue. That sure seems like Tesla still believes the batteries are fine. It was a bug. Not Lithium dendrites or lithium plating.

I have an update from last night. Let's see how much capacity (range) comes back over the next 2 weeks.

Now on 2019.18.2
I can guarantee that they will not lift all limits, even though they say they will. They will fudge the numbers, and play number games. That’s what they have done from the beginning, and will continue to do so. The only way that will be possible is a software rollback.

Having seen many hundreds of charging graphs for Teslas, I've seen charging results across the board. I've seen vehicles get consistently lower results than others, I've seen vehicles get randomly lower results than others, with no explanation for the random changes - sometimes permanently lower, sometimes jumping back up afterwards, with no explanation. I've seen chargers give consistently lower results than others at the same station with the same nameplate, stations get consistently lower results than others with the same nameplate, and I've also seen the same sort of lower results occur randomly with no explanation for the random changes... just suddenly, lower. Sometimes consistently lower after that, sometimes coming back up, with no rhyme or reason.

I've seen enough of this sort of stuff to know that you can't rate an update based on a single person's charging graph.

That said, it's certainly plausible that charge rates were limited. If lithium can't reliably intercalate faster than a given rate into the anodes, you don't want to try to force it. Intercalation is a physical limit; if you try to push past it, you'll be plating out lithium metal instead, which you don't want. The BMS always limits the charge rate for this purpose. The only thing Tesla could plausibly do to boost intercalation rates would be to increase the temperature, although that will shorten battery life via increased anode-electrolyte reactions.
You are arguing that the sky isn’t blue, and it has never been blue. You realize that, don’t you?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

"The deal" is the warranty, and there's no need to "alter" it, as it offers no range guarantees at all. If you had an issue with that warranty, which was anything but a secret (it's been widely discussed here for years), it should have been an issue for you when deciding to make your purchase.

I'll repeat that I don't support the notion of setting a precedent of doing expensive "on the house" fixes for things that aren't warrantied, because then people expect anything they're disappointed with that's not warrantied to be covered by Tesla. But also as I said, I also support the notion that the company should try to do something for customers that are disappointed - and customers affected absolutely have a right to feel disappointed, as these particular batteries haven't been nearly as durable as Tesla has a reputation for. Cash-neutral things like offering at-cost battery upgrades or zero-margin new vehicle purchases sound like reasonable options. Feel free to suggest your own.

Last edited:
I have a January 2016 MS70D that has been impacted since May. Current range at 100% is 187 miles, I calculate 56kwH remaining . I‘m currently overseas but got a message that the software update is available, and I‘ve downloaded Version 2019.28.2 320fba0.

Now I have to wait till I get back to Australia in three weeks to see if things have improved...

As a side note - and this is more out of curiosity - how is this actually affecting people's daily lives? I'm seeing range drops reported like 10-15% (for example, David Ramussen: 247->217mi). Were you guys actually charging to 100% daily before the drop?
  • If so, then your batteries should be degraded even if there were nothing wrong with the pack, and it'd be your own fault. Everyone knows (or at least should know) that you're not supposed to charge to 100% daily unless you have absolutely no other choice (wherein even "slow" degradation will eventually ruin things for you).
  • If not - if you were being responsible and charging only to 80-90% daily - then just change your daily charge to 95-100% and you've got your daily range back, and your level of stressing your batteries is exactly the same as it was before the update, because you're charging to the exact same voltage. Only long trips are affected.
Am I missing something? Is this just about trips?

As a side note - and this is more out of curiosity - how is this actually affecting people's daily lives? I'm seeing range drops reported like 10-15% (for example, David Ramussen: 247->217mi). Were you guys actually charging to 100% daily before the drop?
  • If so, then your batteries should be degraded even if there were nothing wrong with the pack, and it'd be your own fault. Everyone knows (or at least should know) that you're not supposed to charge to 100% daily unless you have absolutely no other choice (wherein even "slow" degradation will eventually ruin things for you).
  • If not - if you were being responsible and charging only to 80-90% daily - then just change your daily charge to 95-100% and you've got your daily range back, and your level of stressing your batteries is exactly the same as it was before the update, because you're charging to the exact same voltage. Only long trips are affected.
Am I missing something? Is this just about trips?
Say it with me, SOFTWARE LIMITED BATTERY PACK, SOFTWARE LIMITED BATTERY PACK......

Say it with me, SOFTWARE LIMITED BATTERY PACK, SOFTWARE LIMITED BATTERY PACK......

Say it with me, BATTERY PACKS ARE ALWAYS LIMITED BY SOFTWARE FROM THE DAY YOU BUY THE CAR IN ORDER TO PROTECT SAFETY AND LONGEVITY, THAT'S THE ENTIRE JOB OF A BMS.

Also say it with me: IF YOU LEARN THAT THE BMS ISN'T DOING ITS JOB WELL ENOUGH, YOU FIX THE BMS.

Lastly say it with me: WRITING IN ALL CAPS ON THE INTERNET IS ANNOYING.

Since 2019.28.2 update I've had an increase !?.. prior to that release the range had been ebbing away!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190809-161625_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190809-161625_Samsung Internet.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 68
View attachment 439686
This is encouraging only 85 kWh cars are getting this update that started rolling out yesterday.

Got it yesterday. I do not want to update. I feel like Tesla would erase my data in the vehicle. Thats how much I dont trust them anymore.

From what I hear, charges slower(so much for these new faster chargers) What the point to even sell that info with cars.

"The deal" is the warranty, and there's no need to "alter" it, as it offers no range guarantees at all. If you had an issue with that warranty, which was anything but a secret (it's been widely discussed here for years), it should have been an issue for you when deciding to make your purchase.

I'll repeat that I don't support the notion of setting a precedent of doing expensive "on the house" fixes for things that aren't warrantied, because then people expect anything they're disappointed with that's not warrantied to be covered by Tesla. But also as I said, I also support the notion that the company should try to do something for customers that are disappointed - and customers affected absolutely have a right to feel disappointed, as these particular batteries haven't been nearly as durable as Tesla has a reputation for. Cash-neutral things like offering at-cost battery upgrades or zero-margin new vehicle purchases sound like reasonable options. Feel free to suggest your own.

The issue is not that the battery lost range over time due to normal degradation, instead the issue is that these batteries have some form of internal fault that increases the likelihood of self combustion and the response has been to intentionally and suddenly reduce the maximum charge to minimize the risk. That helps Tesla in two ways, first it reduces the amount they have to pay out for damages caused by the vehicle fires and second it helps them with PR by reducing the number of "parked Tesla burns to the ground" headlines.

This is fine as a short term measure if properly communicated however long term they need to be replacing these defective batteries with non-defective units, even if those units are remanufactured or are otherwise software restricted to being of like quality as the batteries were before the software update. You seem to be trying to dismiss everyone affected by this as being disappointed and that they should just accept the fire risk and response without complaining and if your goal is to support Tesla, that's a poor message because it will turn people off from the brand.

Now that the reduction in range issue is PUBLIC be interesting to see if Tesla changes the chargable miles they show on the used 2015 85.

Unlikely since English language readers paying attention will note the words "*Figures based on testing new vehicles to EPA standards. Vehicle range may change depending on battery age and condition, vehicle configuration, driving style, environmental and climate change."

Unlikely since English language readers paying attention will note the words "*Figures based on testing new vehicles to EPA standards. Vehicle range may change depending on battery age and condition, vehicle configuration, driving style, environmental and climate change."
Well lets wait and see how this law suit pans out because there are two and one is a used buyer that was disappointed over mileage. When I bought my 2015 85D in May that was on my list of questions that I verified. i specifically made them show me prior to purchase the mileage shown at 90%. This is just one small issue Tesla has when I bought my used car I had literally missing panels, scratches all kinds of stuff I will shut up now.

Reactions: Droschke
Say it with me, BATTERY PACKS ARE ALWAYS LIMITED BY SOFTWARE FROM THE DAY YOU BUY THE CAR IN ORDER TO PROTECT SAFETY AND LONGEVITY, THAT'S THE ENTIRE JOB OF A BMS.

Also say it with me: IF YOU LEARN THAT THE BMS ISN'T DOING ITS JOB WELL ENOUGH, YOU FIX THE BMS.

Lastly say it with me: WRITING IN ALL CAPS ON THE INTERNET IS ANNOYING.
You are playing word games, and not doing very good at it.

New packs charge to 4.2V per cell. Old packs charge to 4.2V per cell. Tesla ships some cars with bigger batteries that are software capped for owners that don’t want to PAY for that extra capacity. Those don’t charge to 4.2V but instead are limited to around 4V.

Now Tesla limits the bigger packs for owners that did pay extra money for the bigger packs that used to charge to 4.2V, to around 4V. Common sense tells me that’s theft of $$$ any way you slice it. Very simple math and logic.

I haven't been on the forums in a while but I'm effected by this as well. My S85 was delivered 3/2014 and the 90% suddenly dropped from 230-235 to 210-215 in the last two months. I figured it was just battery aging but it was pretty sudden and surprising after 85,000 miles in the car.

This doesn't effect me daily but it does when I drive from College Station to downtown Houston and back. This used to end with a good 10-15% left at the end of the trip but now it is shaving it REALLY close so much so that I now tend to stop on Hwy 290 and supercharge for 10 minutes to make sure I have enough juice.