Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many miles do you have on your S85 and when was it produced?

Restating my many posts on this here:
140000 km of which >60000 km on supercharging.
Production date Feb 2013.
Original "A" pack battery specification.
Car has OBDII monitoring device installed with detailed reports on charging, etc via FleetCarma, so my detailed of charging percentages and other details are factually obtained.

Reactions: VT_EE
Not following. The OBDII port only provides power. There's no data on that. Do you have some device kept plugged into the CANBUS connector?
This isn't true. I've been following the OpenPilot retrofit threads and they're getting and sending data to the car to make their open source version of Autopilot steer the car and get speed data et cetera. It sounds like there's a lot of data available on the OBDII port.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
And that is the point, that claims in posts that the battery range capping is wide spread is also based on conjecture and inference.
My point is now accepted, claims should either be backed up, or labelled as "I suspect" or other qualifications.

I must say, your post is very entertaining.

First you say another poster's claim is "based on conjecture and inference". You then counter it by your own claim which you admit is also based on conjecture and inference.

Then you say:

"My point is now accepted, claims should either be backed up, or labelled as "I suspect" or other qualifications."

You accept your own point? You are not debating with yourself, are you? Since no one has accepted your point!

I however agree with you that YOUR "claims should either be backed up, or labelled as "I suspect" or other qualifications." ;)

This isn't true. I've been following the OpenPilot retrofit threads and they're getting and sending data to the car to make their open source version of Autopilot steer the car and get speed data et cetera. It sounds like there's a lot of data available on the OBDII port.

Interesting. Counter to what I've previously read but interesting. There's nothing there with a standard OBDII scanner dongle.

Clarifying my post in another thread, the particular issue this thread is about is, as noted earlier, is one I'm going to have to stay out of. This issue does appear show in the software as an issue with one module in a pack being the culprit. So for my purposes, if I were to take in one of these batteries, I'd need to physically inspect it to know if I'm getting 16 or only 15 good modules.

Do you know how they handle pack replacements if they aren't rebuilding them? Used ones? They aren't using new ones, right?

Most pack "failures" have nothing to do with the modules, so they don't need to actually do anything to them, replace them, etc.

When they do, they have a couple of options. They can drop the pack capacity and make a refurb 70 or 75. They have some other routes they go that I know of that aren't public information. But suffice it to say they generally don't have issues with modules themselves. It's other hardware.

That's a lot of modules - care to share what you're doing with them?

I sell them. People use them in all sorts of projects. Solar projects, EV conversions, RV aux power, etc etc etc.

I was puzzled too so their web site says:
For Teslas and other vehicles with alternative OBD setups, the C2 device is installed in a proprietary diagnostics connector using a supplied adapter cable.

OK, so it's just what I thought it was. It's not the OBDII connector by the diagnostic connector the canbus data comes on. The same plug I use with my Elm327. I think you'll lose the cubby since it has to be removed to get to the connector. @SmartElectric said it was an OBDII device which it can't be.

@SmartElectric , can you post a photo of where you have this device plugged in?

OK, so it's just what I thought it was. It's not the OBDII connector by the diagnostic connector the canbus data comes on. The same plug I use with my Elm327. I think you'll lose the cubby since it has to be removed to get to the connector. @SmartElectric said it was an OBDII device which it can't be.

@SmartElectric , can you post a photo of where you have this device plugged in?

I installed the OBDII port device on my Smart Electric, it was plug and play.

As you rightly noted, for Tesla, I needed to install a conversion cable under dash, in between the OBDII device and the Tesla connector.
(I don't have a cubby on my old Tesla).
It's an OBDII device with adaptor cable that mates into a connector specific for Tesla.

He has a device plugged into the Canbus port, not the OBD2 connector. Reading the website he linked to it says:
“FleetCarma device plugs right into your EV’s onboard diagnostic (OBD) port or Tesla diagnostic connector to unlock powerful information about your EV usage”.

I was told that Tesla is experimenting with different algorithms to maximize battery life and I was randomly chosen as a guinea pig. Which seems odd since the CAC test indicated (according to Tesla) that my battery is 30% better than other same batteries of like age and car mileage.

Fascinating. Did you ask them what happens if you want out of the test program you didn’t sign up for? Would they roll you back to the fleet release BMS?

Mine was denied, and I think somewhat reasonably; it’s theft, not failure to repair.
So that’s the avenue I’m pursuing.

AD5304F0-DDD6-44DF-A226-7C3B900FAD63.jpeg
View attachment 451113 View attachment 451113
I take it all NCDS arbitrations were denied like mine? Or is some still going through the process?