Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have confirmed once again today that the supercharging time calculator is, lets call it, drunk. S85D with 65k miles, charging from 30% to 90%, outside temp 12C, navigate to supercharger for 30mins, no charger sharing:
-11:47, at 30%, 60kw, 45 mins
-12:09, at 55%, 43kw, 35 mins
-12:16, at 61%, 39kw, 30 mins
-12:29, at 71%, 33kw, 20 mins
-12:34, at 75%, 31kw, 20 mins
-12:45, at 82%, 27kw, 10 mins
-12:52, at 86%, 25kw, 10 mins
- Charging complete at 13:00

Is there anyone here with a P85DL that can confirm they are still pulling 1525 amps under WOT with the current software?

I can confirm that my P85DL with latest firmware pulls 432kw according to Teslalog and gets a 1/8 mile result (7.35 according to Dragy) — both consistent with past testing under non ideal conditions: 90 SOC, only partially heated max battery power, and a bunch of crap in trunk.

And it was going up as the battery got hotter even as the SOC went down as I did multiple runs. But I stopped after the 432 run. It might have been more if I took it up to MBP temp, especially at 100 SOC.

Under ideal conditions, and when Ludi upgrade was young, I got 451kW and 7.1 1/8 and 11.3 1/4.

Last edited:
Fred Lambert of Electrek bought a X90 with over 400k miles and claims that is the cheapest X ever at 30k! Seems expensive to me.

I wished he would talk about his experience with capping and chargegate... I enjoy his podcast but he glossed over it and does not seem to care to dig too deep. Strange since he claims that 90 packs were the worse historically and his car came from Tesloop with 100% supercharging..

But again he is a fanboy with a free roadster coming (all these referrals)

I bought the cheapest Tesla Model X ever: $30,000 electric SUV - Electrek

Reactions: Chaserr
Fred Lambert of Electrek bought a X90 with over 400k miles and claims that is the cheapest X ever at 30k! Seems expensive to me.

I wished he would talk about his experience with capping and chargegate... I enjoy his podcast but he glossed over it and does not seem to care to dig too deep. Strange since he claims that 90 packs were the worse historically and his car came from Tesloop with 100% supercharging..

But again he is a fanboy with a free roadster coming (all these referrals)

I bought the cheapest Tesla Model X ever: $30,000 electric SUV - Electrek
You aren't going to hear anything negative about Tesla from Fred.....

And that's my take.

Not much guidance from Tesla in this FAQ that would explain why it now takes 50 minutes at a SuperCharger in order for me to get the 48kwh of power required to drive for two hours (80 mph at 300 watts per mile): Supercharging

Does Supercharging affect my battery?
The peak-charging rate of the battery may decrease slightly after a large number of high-rate charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. To ensure maximum driving range and battery safety, the battery charge rate is decreased when the battery is too cold, when it is nearly full or when its condition changes with usage and age. These changes in the condition of the battery may increase total Supercharger time by a few minutes over time.
Can I borrow a "few" bucks, like $50? 50 is a "few", right? I mean, it's fewer than 51.

• Funny
Reactions: mvotb and Droschke
Fred was one of the first to publish this issue and the follow up issues.
Well he kind of had to, because everyone published it back then. But he kind of accepted the 'few number of cars' narrative in his article and of course shared once again his usual Tesla communication concerns. And that is pretty much where Fred left this topic. Quite typical of electrek when it comes to Tesla's problems: Raise the concern, blame Tesla's communication methods, no significant follow up or need to investigate the real issue and back to cheerleading.

I have noticed another interesting pattern. I believe the car is limiting Supercharging (affected car only of course) when it "knows" you are not on a road trip. Over the last three months I noticed that when I supercharge at the end of the day, my car will not charge faster than a little over 40 kW. It has nothing to do with battery temperature, state of charge, battery conditions or anything I could find. The only thing that is consitent is that I charge at the end of the day at usually the same site. I tried with a warm battery, I tried charging on AC for an hour first, I tried driving hard for a few minutes before. Always the same. ScanMyTesla shows it is the BMS setting the limit, not the site. If I need to top off during the day it will charge much faster. It still peaks at around 100 for a moment and tapers down from there. It seems the car knows at the end of the day I am not going anywhere, just charging up and it limits the charge rate. Anyone else notices this?

Again, this isn't a single event. I have noticed this happening consistently over at least 3 months now. I tried everything I can think of to eliminate all other factors.

I have confirmed once again today that the supercharging time calculator is, lets call it, drunk. S85D with 65k miles, charging from 30% to 90%, outside temp 12C, navigate to supercharger for 30mins, no charger sharing:
Almost exactLy the same results as my S85 2014 221k miles

This is the response I got from Tesla for my #chargegate and #batterygate issues.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. I'm a member of our Tesla Support Leadership team and was recently sent your inquiry. I apologize for the delayed response.

I understand the concerns you have with the range and charging rate of your Model S. We are aware that a very small percentage of owners who own older Model S and Model X vehicles may notice a small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge. This occurred following a software update that we released around April 2019, to protect and improve the battery longevity of Model S and X cars. From there, we implemented range enhancements in August 2019 and we recently made improvements to battery software, management and diagnostics that will help us continue to improve this impact on range over time. As a reminder, charging behavior will always vary based on how a vehicle is driven, charged, vehicle age, and other factors.

Additionally, we have reviewed your recent service history an see that they have found that the charge rate of your vehicle to be as expected.

We want to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience. Feedback is key as we work to improve our customer experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Thank you for supporting Tesla in our mission to accelerate sustainable energy.

This is the response I got from Tesla for my #chargegate and #batterygate issues.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. I'm a member of our Tesla Support Leadership team and was recently sent your inquiry. I apologize for the delayed response.

I understand the concerns you have with the range and charging rate of your Model S. We are aware that a very small percentage of owners who own older Model S and Model X vehicles may notice a small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge. This occurred following a software update that we released around April 2019, to protect and improve the battery longevity of Model S and X cars. From there, we implemented range enhancements in August 2019 and we recently made improvements to battery software, management and diagnostics that will help us continue to improve this impact on range over time. As a reminder, charging behavior will always vary based on how a vehicle is driven, charged, vehicle age, and other factors.

Additionally, we have reviewed your recent service history an see that they have found that the charge rate of your vehicle to be as expected.

We want to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience. Feedback is key as we work to improve our customer experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Thank you for supporting Tesla in our mission to accelerate sustainable energy.

I suppose this response was in writing. It would help a lot if you would please post a picture of this communication (less personal information) in this thread.

Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr and Guy V

Matches my numbers posted multiple times here.

• Informative
Reactions: johnman10

I suppose this response was in writing. It would help a lot if you would please post a picture of this communication (less personal information) in this thread.

Thanks.

I'd like to see that in original writing too. They told you they expect road trip charging to become useless for everyone. That's a significant admission.

None of their explanations makes a lot of sense. My friend has a 90D MX with nearly 100k miles and a significant amount of his charging (80%+/-) are primarily from supercharging. He's supercharger speed capped but still manages 90kwh which I'd gladly take from what my P85D can now do with half as many miles and much less supercharging abuse.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I have noticed another interesting pattern. I believe the car is limiting Supercharging (affected car only of course) when it "knows" you are not on a road .

I doubt that v. much. Even though, tesla might be able to make charging location-dependent, all people here who are charge gated reported that they now spend on trips hours more than they were accustomed to due to extended charging time.