Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is String the official word for a sub group of cells (I assume within a single module)? I just learned it from you, so I'm trying to use it in the same context.

Thank you for this. I like your hypothesis best. It fits the data and doesn't make Tesla sound like they want to kill us all with dendrites constantly trying to burn our garage.

Why would constant cooling be needed all the way down to 70%? Does this help in balancing the imbalanced strings? Are overcharged cells hotter?

No need to apologize. I've been following the scientific method all along, and trying to help others learn how to reason scientifically when they don't understand what we're doing. It doesn't take any smarts, just deductive reasoning and the willpower to avoid rejecting data you don't like.
As far as I remember, there is a warning on rechargeable batteries that says that overcharging can overheat batteries. Also, the extra cooling could be discharging them for testing module voltage variations.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Cells in parallel are at the same voltage and are read as a single large "cell". If some cells in parallel were dead then that cell group would sag more under load than other cell groups and it would reach "full" faster than other groups during charging. Both conditions would be seen by the BMS.

My understanding too.

The BMS would see the lower capacity group of cells reaching max voltage faster and should stop charging from continuing. If it didn't the lower capacity cell group would be pushed beyond max voltage. I would think that at some threshold the imbalance would be too great and the BMS would produce an error requiring pack replacement.

Yes to this also.

Hence my thought that it could be some edge condition that isn't picked up by BMS but allows some sort of runaway condition to take hold within a brick where there is less control.

A high resistance cell would get hot when current flows through it. Does anyone recall / know the value of those fuses?

My understanding too.

Yes to this also.

Hence my thought that it could be some edge condition that isn't picked up by BMS but allows some sort of runaway condition to take hold within a brick where there is less control.

This is worth exploring. I am going to take some time to reread the first post on this thread.

Meanwhile, IIRC; 85 pack has:

16 modules
6 strings per module
74, 18650 type cells per string

7104 cells total.

6 x 16= 96, if these are in series at 4.2 VPC, then 96 x 4.2. = 403 volts.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Chaserr
Sometimes a visual helps. From SMT just now...note my "Problem child" module 2. Still get good range/nom capacity north of 260RM/75Kwh after a drive.
Screenshot_20200716-150011.png

• Informative
Reactions: sdoorex and Chaserr
Sometimes a visual helps. From SMT just now...note my "Problem child" module 2. Still get good range/nom capacity north of 260RM/75Kwh after a drive.View attachment 565366

Think about what's going on in your brick 2. Although all the cells are strapped in parallel, the internal condition of the cells might not be (probably isn't) identical. Yet they are all forced to the same voltage by virtue of them being in parallel. As long as the cells are well matched and in good shape then there is no problem. If a bunch are high resistance then less current flows through them during charging than through the good condition, lower internal resistance cells. Those cells presumably take on less charge and also get hotter during charging. As they warm up, their internal resistance could drop, somehow extending the internal current flows between stronger and weaker cells in the brick.

If too much current flows through one cell, it drops from the brick, but what if the internal condition of many cells are evenly mismatched? How much heat could be generated within that one brick and how well could that heat be dissipated by the cooling system?

This is all conjecture. But I feel like if it is NOT dendrites, then it is some other heating effect that takes place within bricks where it is less possible to observe / control.

Last edited:
Think about what's going on in your brick 2. Although all the cells are strapped in parallel, the internal condition of the cells might not be (probably isn't) identical. Yet they are all forced to the same voltage.

Good questions. All I can do is check the smoke detector in the garage.

If too much current flows through one cell, it drops from the brick, but what if the internal condition of many cells are evenly mismatched? How much heat could be generated within that one brick and how well could that heat be dissipated by the cooling system?

the range loss/charge speed loss issue isn't related to fires. Period. Get over it.

But Tesla said it was!

After the Hong Kong fire incident in May of 2019, Tesla said this:
As we continue our investigation of the root cause, out of an abundance of caution, we are revising charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles via an over-the-air software update that will begin rolling out today, to help further protect the battery and improve battery longevity.
Tesla is updating its battery software following a car fire, claims improve longevity - Electrek

@MP3Mike, this is hilarious. You auto-disagreed before I left my finger off the "post" button. What do you disagree with? With what @wk057 said or what Tesla said?

Your interpretation of what Tesla said. Nothing in what Tesla said indicated that the changes were to prevent fires. They hadn't completed their investigation so they didn't, and may still not, know what caused the fire.

Your interpretation of what Tesla said. Nothing in what Tesla said indicated that the changes were to prevent fires. They hadn't completed their investigation so they didn't, and may still not, know what caused the fire.

No. It's not what caused the fire. It about why the update was issued for. Based on what Tesla said at the time, it was their reaction to the multiple fire incidents. @wk057 said the "the range loss/charge speed loss issue isn't related to fires." That is in contradiction with the stated reason by Tesla on why the update was issued.

Agreed.

But by the timing and wording of Tesla's press release, it does appear to link their actions regarding battery management to their investigation of the fire. Over a year later, have their investigations delivered any more detailed info.?

And wouldn't you think that by now, if there was no issue that the 'abundance of caution' was needed for, Tesla would have reverted charging and battery capacity back to the correct settings as per when the vehicles were sold?

I don't see how you can read it as an over abundance of caution in response to fires...... Nothing to do with fires...... We will continue to be overly cautious regarding a non existent risk - and over a year later have nothing further to add.

Sometimes a visual helps. From SMT just now...note my "Problem child" module 2. Still get good range/nom capacity north of 260RM/75Kwh after a drive.View attachment 565366

I would try to charge at very low current for long time. I am not sure what the minimum setting is. The BMS might be able to bring that cell group in module 2 up to normal voltage.

Reactions: Battpower
I would try to charge at very low current for long time. I am not sure what the minimum setting is. The BMS might be able to bring that cell group in module 2 up to normal voltage.
I agree that this approach would seem the best change to bring lazy bricks back in line.

Nothing to do with max and min SOC, but purely so that the battery remains on charge for a prolonged period at a low rate, charge from say 30% to 80% at lowest rate poss, like 1.5kw.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Something to think about....

Tesla is continuing to replace 85 battery packs that fail under warranty, with refurbished packs.

If there was truly some sort of defect in the pack and cell design, why would they do this, and risk more bad press, aka, "Rebuilt Tesla battery explodes on way home from service center" instead of replacing them with new packs?

It is conceivable charge/battery/regengate were done out of an abundance of caution, but also has the effect of reducing warranty claims, so no reason to roll back the changes.

Something to think about....

Tesla is continuing to replace 85 battery packs that fail under warranty, with refurbished packs.

If there was truly some sort of defect in the pack and cell design, why would they do this, and risk more bad press, aka, "Rebuilt Tesla battery explodes on way home from service center" instead of replacing them with new packs?

It is conceivable charge/battery/regengate were done out of an abundance of caution, but also has the effect of reducing warranty claims, so no reason to roll back the changes.
Because they don't have new packs that would fit the old 85's???? Maybe....