Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this happened to others beyond the OP in that long thread in the S forum? I honestly haven’t been following the thread too closely.

As I said above, likely immaterial as you’ve consented to OTA updates at purchase...

Please show me where I consented to that? There’s no such thing in any of the paperwork that I signed when placing the order or at delivery. Please don’t show me the warranty or user manuals that they publish today. Those have been changed many times since I purchased my car and now include language requiring updates to be installed to maintain warranty coverage. But those clauses were not there when I bought, or when many others bought. It’s also pretty unclear how tesla could enforce those terms onto the purchaser of a used tesla to which tesla is not a party to the transaction.. Those terms are likely legally unenforceable anyway.

Reactions: neroden
Since you don't have an affected car, at least due to the recent update, do you still get 4.2 V at 100% charge?

I will test it out tomorrow morning.

If they really clipped off the top it's essentially the same as the software limited 70/75 battery. IIRC it was a $2000 upgrade. One could argue Tesla took $2k value away from the affected cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkennebeck
This is interesting. Unfortunately we have had our two TMS 85 on %-display, but I will do range charges on both this weekend to check BMS data and cell voltages @ 100%. We have a 2013 P85 and a 2015 85D, and the latter abruptly lost some 35% of supercharging power after update - easily adding like 10-15 minutes to every charging stop. That would mean 10-ish hours of extra supercharging time through our holiday trip.

Will report back here on my numbers on full charge.

Well of course it's a software issue. Already established firmly here. The question is this a bug or intentional. The fact that the BMS is allowed to report higher SOC than the actual cell voltage indicates is not an accidental kind of mistake. I've been a paid software engineer for 32 years and I know the difference.

Is there any reason to think Tesla would not do this intentionally?

They have done it several times including with the notorious 90 kWh packs, DC charge nerfing and launch counter limits:

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

Right now they are attempting to avoid warranty obligations with things like MCU yellow borders and Model 3 paint:

Yellow Border

Model 3 paint wearing off

Tesla seems to have a history of pushing technology too far for its specs, testing too little and then attempting to walk away with some excuses and software update or two.

The lack of transparency from Tesla is another thing. They do this under a veil of silence, hype and false hope placed on future software updates (see P85D and P90DL performance misses as another case).

I am the worse offender as I mostly charge at 100 percent; often drive down to zero and use superchager often.
Other than that the car runs great!

Well $#*t! That's like saying you bought a Porsche turbo, redline it from stone cold on every shift, do continuous 10 mile drives, don't change the oil for 3 years and then complain that you need new rings and an engine rebuild! :eek:

Well $#*t! That's like saying you bought a Porsche turbo, redline it from stone cold on every shift, do continuous 10 mile drives, don't change the oil for 3 years and then complain that you need new rings and an engine rebuild! :eek:
Yes I am bad on cars but not from driving crazy and redlining...I mostly have off road stuff besides my Bolt and Tesla.which I have never driven past 80mph and always in Chill Mode.
The idea is the these EVS have BMS and buffers built in to baby the battery.
My contention is Tesla has reduced my range overnight so as to extend the life of my battery.
The also on other side have INCREASED my charge speed to as high as 106kw overnight...which quite higher that I got the day before.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Wait a minute; you have solar panels and you need to have a charging pattern like this?
Yes my solar panels is not where I am mostly with my car (don't even have a plug for the car)....I charge down the road at my work garages and I am also 2 miles from TWO Superchargers where I have lunch.I run so many local errands during the day that plugging after each trip would be a pain.

My solar panels produce less energy than the house consumes anyhow as well as my electrical rate is higher than my garages (commercial rate) or SC (free)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and neroden
I asked to be informed of any follow-up from Tesla on this situation. He agreed and said he would let me know (though I doubt I'll hear anything unless I keep pursuing it.
I went to my local service center on the 18th because I had b-day event to attend nearby. I complained weeks ago through their support number and unable to reach my local service center. So while I charged I went in to complain to service about how noone returns calls even though there are notes that request they do so. They finally ran a remote diagnostic and say my battery is fine but I've lost 23 miles since 2019.16.x update. I asked why was I not informed as I've stated multiple times through phone, chat and e-mail I wanted someone to get back to me but I hear nothing.

Sure enough at the end of charging this time it didn't lose since my last charge. Every charge prior to 2019.16.x, I've been losing since I noticed a 3 mile drop then. I have documented ev-fw.com logged firmware updates and it coincided exactly with my TeslaFi logged events when the significant drop happens.

Anyway, after hearing my plight and asked if I was charging now, the rep jokingly says now you're forcing me to go outside since it was over 105F that day. I snarkingly said you forced me to come first since Tesla service is terrible in letting me know what is happening as I've made multiple calls and chat sessions. I didn't find his remark to be funny considering I'm losing about 10% of my battery in about a month.

He gets in the car, looks at a few settings and tells me temperate, how you charge, blah blah blah, has an effect of overall battery degradation. And that there are new algorithms that determine how much is left. Basically I'm left to bring the car in again today and if I want battery diagnostic, I would have to pay for it similar to what they told you. Now it sounds like they will NOT give up that information. So I'm left with getting my Takata airbags done only.

If the Elektrek article is to be believed and it only affects a small number of cars, they should replace it. But this is probably a wider net of cars than we're lead to believe. I was going to have them run a check and pay for it but if all they're willing to say is battery is fine and I'm not able to see data that says otherwise, I'm not going to pay for it. I'd rather invest in tools for that amount of money that will give me data that will say you're lying.

Reactions: darxsys