Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not a fix that is a desperate attempt to get you off of v8.

I'd give t hem the finger and mail them this thread. Make them put in writing before you take any action to devalue your car that it will not be capped in any way. Have their statement notarized and filed with your attorney. You know for a fact that Tesla will lie cheat and steal to devalue your car if they feel like it. Don't let them.

How bad is it that I trust both Comcast and Verizon more than Tesla these days?

Electrify America is a joke.
I find it depressing that tesla defenders will repeat what used to be used against Tesla to try and make fast charging sound like "a joke"

Those of us who bought Teslas before there was supercharging know from experience that fast charging networks grow, and are excited for the ones that are both faster than Teslas and required by law to keep expanding faster than teslas.

It's self defeating to try and use what used to be an attack against tesla to attack electric cars in general when the example itself is proof the attack is invalid.

I just wish tesla would alllw us to use those chargers. That would keep tesla at the top of the charging options even after EA passes it.

I appreciate this is thread is predominantly about batterygate more than chargegate, but I do find it fascinating how Tesla marketed their cars, waxing lyrical about charging speeds etc, only to then be able to change the function of the car some years later after you have bought it.

I don’t see anything in the below advert that says - ‘You’ll get fast charging now, but in a few years time we might slow that down a lot’

0% to 100% being advertised in 75 minutes. In fairness on about the 6 occasions I charged to 100% prior to the software update I roughly achieved those times.

So recently charging at a Supercharger to 100% shown and 4.099V capped (that’s probably old 88-89% if I lost about 12%?), it took 2hrs and 16 minutes. So the effect is amplified for those of us who have lost range and might need to go to !00% for a trip (or need to do that a couple ofttimes in a trip).

Whilst this wasn’t the case at the time of my purchase, I do note Tesla now say repeated supercharging may slow don your SuC rates - 'by a few minutes’, but by another hour?

B81BC8ED-6123-47F8-BA5F-3D6598BA6417.png

I appreciate this is thread is predominantly about batterygate more than chargegate, but I do find it fascinating how Tesla marketed their cars, waxing lyrical about charging speeds etc, only to then be able to change the function of the car some years later after you have bought it.

I don’t see anything in the below advert that says - ‘You’ll get fast charging now, but in a few years time we might slow that down a lot’

0% to 100% being advertised in 75 minutes. In fairness on about the 6 occasions I charged to 100% prior to the software update I roughly achieved those times.

So recently charging at a Supercharger to 100% shown and 4.099V capped (that’s probably old 88-89% if I lost about 12%?), it took 2hrs and 16 minutes. So the effect is amplified for those of us who have lost range and might need to go to !00% for a trip (or need to do that a couple ofttimes in a trip).

Whilst this wasn’t the case at the time of my purchase, I do note Tesla now say repeated supercharging may slow don your SuC rates - 'by a few minutes’, but by another hour?

View attachment 487074
That picture is so appropriate. From that angle it looks peaceful and beautiful there. Once you're in the car, though, the view is quite ugly: Google Maps. (Apologies to the person in the frame - I don't mean you!)

Actually the warranty does cover that situation specifically, and it would put him at risk:

And he has been told that the repair is a firmware update.

I don't know 100% that that was in the old warranties but I think it was.

Pics of the warranty provided with my '13. There is some vague text on the third page about voiding warranty if you don't follow recommendations

IMG_0086.jpeg IMG_0087.jpeg IMG_0088.jpeg IMG_0089.jpeg

View attachment 487074
Spot on! And you would think now that our batteries are smaller, they should charge quicker. I was 70 kWhs, I’m now 60 kWhs, so 15-16% smaller. So the strangulation is actually even worse as it’s slower on a smaller battery.

Ot but
I find it depressing that tesla defenders will repeat what used to be used against Tesla to try and make fast charging sound like "a joke"

Those of us who bought Teslas before there was supercharging know from experience that fast charging networks grow, and are excited for the ones that are both faster than Teslas and required by law to keep expanding faster than teslas.

It's self defeating to try and use what used to be an attack against tesla to attack electric cars in general when the example itself is proof the attack is invalid.

I just wish tesla would alllw us to use those chargers. That would keep tesla at the top of the charging options even after EA passes it.
I don’t think you have a roadster? Super charging was a thing in 2011 FYI.
The EA. Network seems like s joke to me. Just doing the minimum from what I’ve seen, the 4 total fast chargers are supposed to support how many manufacturers & compete with currently 8 superchargers for 1 brand. Extremely pricey for what service you get too.
It is a joke so far. 2 charger heads but you can only use one at a time!?

Super charging was a thing in 2011 FYI.

No Roadster can supercharge and Tesla didn't release chargers before the Model S. Roadsters don't even have the same plug type so it wouldn't have made any sense to build chargers no car in the world could use. First was late 2012 but it didn't spread fast so it was only usable in those 3 locations the first year, with a handful more in the next and so on. It took years for Tesla to get to the point EA is right now - nothing wrong with slow expansion; we take it for granted but it was a big effort and a lot of naysayers said what you're saying right now.

I understand why you think fast charging is a joke. I just don't agree.

Pricing is another fast charging attack against EVs we've heard before. Tesla tried to price cahrging more than just buying gasoline - it was unpopular and reversed, but while the policy was in place it fueled a lot of talk just like yours against EVs in general. Yet fast charging perseveres as good as it has ever been (aside from chargegate problems where tesla damaged batteries with some bad code and can't afford to warranty their mistakes). But that's Tesla's problem not the technology.

Well, if we compare theoretical speeds, ChaDeMo and CCS as its currently deployed cannot keep up with the 120kW-250kW that Tesla has deployed. In reality, I no longer see anything close to that, so the gap between SC and DC-FC shrinks considerably. And, yes EA does not have anywhere close to the coverage of Tesla, but that is something that can be fixed with time.

Of course, I could get a new Tesla and get the best of both words, but I have no desire to reward current behavior and would want better clarity of under what circumstances they will throttle charging speeds. Fool me once...

No Roadster can supercharge and Tesla didn't release chargers before the Model S. Roadsters don't even have the same plug type so it wouldn't have made any sense to build chargers no car in the world could use. .
...FYI - 2011 they were using the superchargers at the test ride event. I assume they had them early that year or late in 2010 for testing.

to your other point. I don't think fast charging is a joke. the network and layout for the EA stuff is (mostly) a joke,.
Chargepoint had decent upkeep/ Blink was lol at the ones I tried years ago.

...FYI - 2011 they were using the superchargers at the test ride event. I assume they had them early that year or late in 2010 for testing.

not that fast charging is a joke. the network and layout for the EA stuff is (mostly) a joke

FYI doesn't mean what you think it means, but here's Tesla correcting you

You're just repeating everything used against Tesla years ago, acting as an example of the people I was talking about. It's unfortunate how many people dislike EVs here enough to create revisionist histories. Tesla owners should know better, especially looking at how quickly EA expanded and how much faster it is versus Supercharging. If Tesla can ever use them, it assured Tesla will always have the largest charge network.

The EA layout is copying Tesla deployment schedule almost to the T, it's just expanding a lot faster.

Last edited:
FYI . . . You're just repeating everything used against Tesla years ago, acting as an example of the people I was talking about. It's unfortunate how many people dislike EVs here enough to create revisionist histories. Tesla owners should know better, especially looking at how quickly EA expanded and how much faster it is versus Supercharging. If Tesla can ever use them, it assured Tesla will always have the largest charge network.
huh, what are you even talking about & what does that video have to do with anything? repeating what, that the other networks pretty much suck in my area? as they do.In 2011 supercharge cabinets were used to charge the S' they were running in circles all day. they were not for the public yet but no one owned this car yet/
not sure how you have a problem with that?
EA faster LOL! right.(oh removed I see..)

Reactions: MP3Mike
huh, what are you even talking about & what does that video have to do with anything? repeating what, that the other networks pretty much suck in my area? as they do.In 2011 supercharge cabinets were used to charge the S' they were running in circles all day. they were not for the public yet but no one owned this car yet/
not sure how you have a problem with that?
EA faster LOL! right.(oh removed I see..)

I was responding to you with the unveiling of superchargers in late 2012 since you thought it was years earlier before there were even Model S cars to plug in to them. They certainly weren't supercharging the rebodied Mercedes they had dolled up to look like Teslas if you're referring to what I think you're referring to. Watch the video if you like, Elon will explain it to you.

I get the impression you're saying we should never see each others posts again since this will probably go on and on asd we all know those ancient anti- EV comments don't play out the way you think they do. Saying them years after they were proven wrong doesn't change anything.