Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now we're equating spontaneous fires while parked with fires following fatal high speed crashes?
So @Droschke, instead of taking the easy way out and just hitting disagree on my post, maybe take 5 minutes and explain why you appearantly think a car that spontaneously burns while idle isn't more concerning than a fire after a high speed crash?

let me help the folks who refuse to connect the dots.
Ing is concerned because due to the shortcomings with our battery, he seems to say that the car is more likely to catch fire in a wreck than it would have been if the battery was healthy. Therefore it warrants concern. Cars spontaneously bursting into flames in your garage: extremely concerning and scary. Cars bursting into flames after a wreck, when in theory they might not have done so: extremely concerning and scary (for example, battery is on fire and the doors won't open). The dots required to come to this conclusion are: lithium plating is probably occurring in all of the capped batteries, and frankly probably ALL classic cars' batteries capped or not (as many refuse updates). ING seems to imply that excessive lithium plating makes a battery a whole lot less stable, in terms of a sudden release of stored energy being possible with a rupture or high temperature condition. Thus, he appears to be concerned about fires during accidents as well as parked.

Believe it or not, your odds of getting into an accident are high, relative to all of the other chance-occurrences that are happening in your day to day life, unless you don't commute every day. You "feel" like the odds aren't bad because you essentially escape unscathed every day, but they are in fact pretty bad (future archeologists will look at us and wonder WTF was wrong with us). Don't get me wrong, I drive everywhere, almost everyone does, but at the end of the day, an already dangerous activity is made less safe by unhealthy batteries.

The comment to which I was replying referenced nail penetration, i.e. physical damage, as in a crash.

Dendrites = nail which is physical.

Edit: I don't know if there are 'nails' that technically aren't Dendrites. But these are internal to the cells.

There was iirc a recent comment that these fires could not happen while a car is being driven. It is true that greatest stress internal to cells is at high SOC, but internal battery heat can be generated by multiple effects.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Dendrites = nail which is physical.

Edit: I don't know if there are 'nails' that technically aren't Dendrites. But these are internal to the cells.

There was iirc a recent comment that these fires could not happen while a car is being driven. It is true that greatest stress internal to cells is at high SOC, but internal battery heat can be generated by multiple effects.

This is what concerns me:

A battery with a massive loss of cycleable Lithium has not the same stable cathode as a new battery.

That tells me parked, driven, or flying in the air, you might have over 7000 unstable cathodes under your seat.

How do you hide loss of range?

By blaming aircon, external temperature, normal use, driving technique, etc etc....

And installing new games, marginally useful features and endless bug fixes. Anything to muddy the water.

So better to refer to lost (inacessible /changed capacity) which is not up for debate.

Last edited:
The link I posted a week ago explains how plating can burn by self heating when cells are as cool as 95F. That's below skin temp! It explains why Tesla is draingsting us on top of batterygate. It's all about the self heated thermal runaway problem every time.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
A battery with massive loss of cycleable lithium would have a significant loss of capacity
In a new cell there is always excess lithium, so the loss of capacity is not directly proportional to the loss of cycyleable lithium.

How much excess lithium a manufacturer uses in a new cell is a question of the wished safety class, but also from the chosen electrode balancing.

It takes a hell of an accident to actually damage the battery pack to the point where physical damage can result in problems (short, fire, etc).

I've gotten cars that have been in rollovers, high speed collisions, and all sorts of accidents... and the vast majority had little to no damage done to the battery case, let alone to the cells.

For example... this car literally was driven off a mountain, rolled multiple times:
68b11a4d5c014fe98fa5

(The battery from this car was pulled, tested, and used in another vehicle with zero issues.)

In any case, physical damage in an accident has absolutely nothing to do with this thread (loss of range due to Tesla's updates).

Last edited: