Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to someone that almost drove his week old X through the back of his garage. As others have said, and in his case, he pressed the wrong pedal. He said for a split second he was convinced he was pressing the brake but realized just in time what was going on. After years of driving a car into his garage and feathering the brake he was now feathering the accelerator and the habit of getting to a certain point in his garage and pressing down on the pedal that was under his foot took over.

It's probably more likely to happen in a familiar environment such as parking at home or parking in a familiar area/space at work, since the habit is reinforced by the repetition.

How freaking scary. This represents one of the many concerns I have with respect to my car and the underlying technology. You mention "Tesla", but elaborate with respect to whom at Tesla; just their role. Service manager? Risk management, Support?

My recommendation, maintain a level of professionalism, be tenacious and keep copious notes regarding all interactions with Tesla personal regarding the matter.

I agree. I have done my research and expressed I'm willing to work together with Tesla to find out the root cause. Tesla refused to take the car in to take a look. The person I talked to is a service manager from Santa Clara Service Center. I have requested to meet with the engineering team to review the raw data and having an engineering approach to analyze the possibility on things can wrong. I was rejected on this offer.

With the resource as an executive in a public technology company with thousands of EE engineers, I believe a more sensible way to convince me and many more people out there facing the same puzzle is to provide a data breakdown with force input on the pedal and distance the car moved. An electricity footprint on the "log" is a result, not the cause.

Tesla has been approaching 200,000 cars as of today, since they launched in 2012, divided by 52 weeks a year, we are standing on 0.7% possibility cars with SUA problem. In another perspective, there are 1400 Tesla cars out there acting as ticking bomb with SUA issue whenever there is a negative voltage in the control loop.

Are we betting on our odds on the 0.7% or 99.3%? If this issue becomes a public safety issue, we will not and we shall not compromise. A fail-safe design to prevent the current spike in control loop should be enhanced.

The engineering dialogue should be opened with a transparency. The discussion will be 1. Control loop with a map having speed as one input variable 2. voltage compensation operation

It looks like Tesla refused to talk with me now, is there any way to get my message crossed to corporate level?

Really sorry your car is damaged especially being so new. Is this your first Tesla? You said this happened on the 18th, have you had an estimate yet?[/QUOTEhasbeentowne
Really sorry your car is damaged especially being so new. Is this your first Tesla? You said this happened on the 18th, have you had an estimate yet?

I'm currently putting my case with insurance on hold. With full coverage and the sheer amount of deductible, luckily my financial responsibility is minimum. However, I really hope Tesla can take a look at my car.

I was coming to post something similar.

I don't think Tesla would intentionally say that the car didn't accelerate when it in fact did (sure, I remember the AP1 on-ramp to off-ramp, and the 691HP, and the FSD, and all the other broken promises, but this is veeeery different).

Where I wouldn't give 100% faith is that the raw data is being recorded correctly. Do I think it is? Sure do. Am I 100% certain? Hell no.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf page 182, on top of right side of the page

In addition, Tesla does not disclose the data recorded to an owner unless it pertains to a non-warranty repair service and in this case, will disclose only the data that is related to the repair.

Does anyone successfully get the data recorded from Tesla?

I agree. I have done my research and expressed I'm willing to work together with Tesla to find out the root cause. Tesla refused to take the car in to take a look. The person I talked to is a service manager from Santa Clara Service Center. I have requested to meet with the engineering team to review the raw data and having an engineering approach to analyze the possibility on things can wrong. I was rejected on this offer.

With the resource as an executive in a public technology company with thousands of EE engineers, I believe a more sensible way to convince me and many more people out there facing the same puzzle is to provide a data breakdown with force input on the pedal and distance the car moved. An electricity footprint on the "log" is a result, not the cause.

Tesla has been approaching 200,000 cars as of today, since they launched in 2012, divided by 52 weeks a year, we are standing on 0.7% possibility cars with SUA problem. In another perspective, there are 1400 Tesla cars out there acting as ticking bomb with SUA issue whenever there is a negative voltage in the control loop.

Are we betting on our odds on the 0.7% or 99.3%? If this issue becomes a public safety issue, we will not and we shall not compromise. A fail-safe design to prevent the current spike in control loop should be enhanced.

The engineering dialogue should be opened with a transparency. The discussion will be 1. Control loop with a map having speed as one input variable 2. voltage compensation operation

It looks like Tesla refused to talk with me now, is there any way to get my message crossed to corporate level?
It's time to face the facts that you messed up.

A couple of things.

One: You said that Tesla told you that the accelerator was applied to 18% from 0%.

Two: The accelerator pedal has two potentiometers as a fail-safe. In addition, the two potentiometers read opposite of one another. At rest, one will read 0% and the other will read 100%. At full depression, the first will read 100% and the latter will read 0%. This creates checks and balances between the two and invalidates your suggestion that a voltage fluctuation would cause the erroneous sensor reading, as such a fluctuation would cause an implausible signal code to be stored by the car.

This type of electronic throttle is nothing new to the industry. Volkswagen and others have been using a similar setup for over two decades. I’m personally coming from the Volkswagen side of things and I’m very familiar with the design, operation and troubleshooting of these systems.

I personally believe that you thought you were feathering the brake pedal but your foot was actually on the accelerator. Your foot movement resulted in a sudden application of power instead of the braking that you had expected. It’s an unfortunate, but not uncommon, case of operator error. If you believe differently, your only real course of action is to have a lawyer request the vehicle logs from Tesla.

Final thought: your probabilities and statistics regarding SUA are completely made up. I have seen absolutely no evidence anywhere to support your numbers.

A couple of things.

Two: The accelerator pedal has two potentiometers as a fail-safe. In addition, the two potentiometers read opposite of one another. At rest, one will read 0% and the other will read 100%. At full depression, the first will read 100% and the latter will read 0%. This creates checks and balances between the two and invalidates your suggestion that a voltage fluctuation would cause the erroneous sensor reading, as such a fluctuation would cause an implausible signal code to be stored by the car.
I've been told exactly the same thing by someone who used to run the Tesla autopilot team. We were discussing a similar claim - and he explained to me why it couldn't happen. It's nice to see the same information coming from another source. I'm sorry, @Ying, but I have to agree with Big Earl & others who have suggested you pressed the accelerator, thinking it was the brake.

A couple of things.

One: You said that Tesla told you that the accelerator was applied to 18% from 0%.

This type of electronic throttle is nothing new to the industry. Volkswagen and others have been using a similar setup for over two decades. I’m personally coming from the Volkswagen side of things and I’m very familiar with the design, operation and troubleshooting of these systems.

I personally believe that you thought you were feathering the brake pedal but your foot was actually on the accelerator. Your foot movement resulted in a sudden application of power instead of the braking that you had expected. It’s an unfortunate, but not uncommon, case of operator error. If you believe differently, your only real course of action is to have a lawyer request the vehicle logs from Tesla.

Final thought: your probabilities and statistics regarding SUA are completely made up. I have seen absolutely no evidence anywhere to support your numbers.

The traction motor on the Model S is a three-phase induction motor instead of a permanent magnet DC motor for the electronic throttle.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark