Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multiple people have pointed out that this has to be a result of human error. I'm sorry, Ying, I know you want to hear something else. I'm not sure what you want Tesla to tell you or what design problem you want them to fix.

If you really want the info, take @wk057 up on his offer.

@bonnie, I am flattered to have you looking through all the feedbacks in this thread and manage the direction where it should go. We all will respect to disagree.

Similar from a control standpoint to the electronic throttle motor on a gasoline engine. However, it draws an electric current of over 1000amp instead of only 10amp or less. Making it much more powerful.
n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Reactions: DDotJ and Big Earl
@Ying - Please take @wk057 up on his offer. If this really is a problem, we need to the bottom of it before someone gets injured or worse.

I appreciate the offer and I will certainly do so after Tesla gives me their log. SO there is a point to map it.

The electricity footprint is a result of design failure or defect. I am not saying there is one, but we have to review before we make any conclusion. At this point, Tesla rejected to look at my car and provide the log.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I appreciate the offer and I will certainly do so after Tesla gives me their log. SO there is a point to map it.

The electricity footprint is a result of design failure or defect. I am not saying there is one, but we have to review before we make any conclusion. At this point, Tesla rejected to look at my car and provide the log.
So... Now I'm starting to worry about if you are really trying to find out the truth/cause, or trying to enforce a position that you know is an uphill battle to get Tesla to release information, and are trying to deflect your mistake to make Tesla look bad.

Last edited:
Tesla is not going to let every customer who experiences unintended acceleration tie up their engineers with questions.

If you really can't let it go, hire a lawyer and see if you can subpoena some design data from Tesla. However, wk057 has already described the basic design.

I agree, engineering resource is precious and we are fighting with odds.

Does anyone see this paragraph in owners manual and please correct me if I was wrong- if I have to go by my insurance to repair the car, Tesla will have to give me the log. After receiving the log, I will certainly seek a third party to map the log.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf page 182, on top of right side of the page

In addition, Tesla does not disclose the data recorded to an owner unless it pertains to a non-warranty repair service and in this case, will disclose only the data that is related to the repair.

If there is a design or a fundamental flaw I would expect it would happen at random times or at atleast at slow speeds of less than 5 mph.

But why does it happen - all the reported cases of SUA - only at a parking spot just at the moment the driver is expected to press the brakes?

The car somehow seems to know the driver's intent to park ! :)

I agree, engineering resource is precious and we are fighting with odds.

Does anyone see this paragraph in owners manual and please correct me if I was wrong- if I have to go by my insurance to repair the car, Tesla will have to give me the log. After receiving the log, I will certainly seek a third party to map the log.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf page 182, on top of right side of the page

In addition, Tesla does not disclose the data recorded to an owner unless it pertains to a non-warranty repair service and in this case, will disclose only the data that is related to the repair.
Based on what is written there. Nothing will be needed/necessary to be disclosed to make the repair.

Last edited:
...In addition, Tesla does not disclose the data recorded to an owner unless it pertains to a non-warranty repair service and in this case, will disclose only the data that is related to the repair.

I interpret this as: If you don't intend to claim this accident under the warranty then it is under "non-warranty repair service" (your insurance pays, not Tesla pays) so you as an owner should be qualified for the car log.

If there is a design or a fundamental problem I would expect it would happen at random times or at atleast at slow speeds of less than 5 mph.

But why does it happen - all the reported cases of SUA - only at a parking spot just at the moment the driver is expected to press the brakes.

How does the car know you are intending to park ?

You have pointed out a blatant fact- there are multiple cases hanging there not only during parking, it happened when making turns as well. Whenever you car slows down, the SUA might happen.

So this guy says the point of this thread is to get the logs - that's all. So then wk057 tells him he will get the logs for him. The guy ignores that offer. Then Bonnie, who had actually taken up for the guy, says, "take wk057 up on his offer" - he says they'll have to agree to disagree. Disagree with what??? That wk057 will give him EXACTLY what he wants....the logs?

No worries. Do you know if there is any way to get a closer look on the datalog? That is my main purpose here - looking for guidance for investigation?

Man, I SO wish I had not wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this thread - not only filled with BS, but riddled with piss-poor grammar (not that my grammar is perfect).