Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion For Change To Auto-Folding Mirror Operation

After reading the first post in this thread the following response best describes me:

• I do not use auto-folding mirrors and would not even if the suggested change was made.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I do not use auto-folding mirrors but might if the suggested change was made.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I use auto-folding mirrors and would be in favor of the suggested change.

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • I use auto-folding mirrors and would be opposed to the suggested change.

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that the auto folding mirror behavior of immediately unfolding when you open the door did not change with the initial release of 7.1. Turned that off right away again. :(

I posted this in the 7.1 thread, but now that Tesla has tied added options to each Homelink setting (auto open, auto-close), I'm going to write to Tesla again and suggest that they also add the additional option, on the same screen, for a mirror fold and mirror unfold.

I posted this in the 7.1 thread, but now that Tesla has tied added options to each Homelink setting (auto open, auto-close), I'm going to write to Tesla again and suggest that they also add the additional option, on the same screen, for a mirror fold and mirror unfold.
I was just going to send this suggestion in to Tesla but I figured someone else had probably already thought of it, and sure enough, I found this thread. I like the idea of tying it to Homelink. Whenever the car automatically opens a garage (by GPS location), fold the mirrors, and whenever it automatically closes the garage, unfold the mirrors. It shouldn't fold or unfold the mirrors if I manually open or close the door, since that's usually a case of me fixing a mistake the car made (e.g. opening the door as I pull out after being parked in the driveway). I'm sure there will be cases where that won't be what you want, but you can always manually fold or unfold the mirrors, just like you can always manually open or close the door if the car gets it wrong.

Of course, this should be a checkbox setting, just like the auto door opening, since not everyone would want it to work that way.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I was just going to send this suggestion in to Tesla but I figured someone else had probably already thought of it, and sure enough, I found this thread. I like the idea of tying it to Homelink.

I'm glad you searched and found this thread, but please feel free to go ahead and send your suggestion in to Tesla anyway. The more people they hear from, the more likely they are to actually give us what we're asking for.

Thanks!

I'm glad you searched and found this thread, but please feel free to go ahead and send your suggestion in to Tesla anyway. The more people they hear from, the more likely they are to actually give us what we're asking for.

Thanks!
OK, Done. Here's what I sent them:
I have a suggestion for a software feature that would make driving a Model S even cooler and easier.

I don't use the auto mirror folding option because I like to fold my mirrors before driving into my garage and unfold them afterdriving out, rather than when going in and out of Park. So I have that feature turned off and I have to manually fold and unfold the mirrors. Not a big deal, but it could be done automatically, and since the feature doesn't work how I want it to at home, I have to manually fold my mirrors when parking elsewhere, even though the automatic fold feature would work fine there.

Now that you have auto garage door opening via Homelink based on GPS location, why not tie mirror folding to that? Whenever I approach my house, when the car automatically opens the garage door, also fold the mirrors. And when I drive away and the car automatically closes the garage door, also unfold the mirrors.

It's simple, and it fits in with the Homelink feature nicely.

Tying the feature to the Homelink settings gives the flexibility that's needed. For example, don't auto-fold mirrors for a gate, but do fold them for a garage.

Some details about how I think this should work:
  • Mirrors shouldn't fold/unfold when I press "Skip" to stop the auto open/close
  • Mirrors shouldn't fold/unfold if I open/close the door manually (I might be closing a door that the car opened by mistake)
  • Add two more checkboxes to the Homelink settings for each device, so it would say:
    • When arriving:
      • X Auto-open
      • X Auto-fold mirrors
    • When leaving:
      • X Auto-close
      • X Auto-unfold mirrors
  • The existing Mirror auto-fold option should remain, but if you have the auto-fold or unfold option enabled at a Homelink location, that would override the normal fold when going into Park and unfold when going out of Park.
That way, if you enable both kinds of auto-folding, the mirrors will fold before you go into your garage, unfold after you leave your garage, and automatically fold and unfold whenever you park the car somewhere else - perfect!​

Reactions: Gears and Andyw2100
Thank you for articulating that very well and outlining the scenarios as you see fit for them to function. The feature as you described would be certainly used by me several times a day. Currently, as you do, I need to manually fold the mirrors in as I pull into the driveway, even though the car knows I'm about to pull into the garage.

I am one of those opposed to this because the suggested solution is exactly what I don't need or use! Here are the reasons:

When Entering the garage:

1- I fold the mirrors manually just before driving into the garage to prevent any damage to the mirrors as the side clearance distance is too small (less than 2 inches).
2- I unfold them while I am still entering the garage just after the mirrors have cleared the garage door area in order to check the distance between the body of the car and the garage door on both sides (the inside of the garage is wide enough for the mirrors to unfold and for the passengers to get in or out).
Here is an illustration to describe this
garageentrance.jpg

When existing the garage:

1- When I get into the car to drive out of the garage, I WANT the mirrors to unfold automatically so that I can see both sides of the garage door clearly.
2- While moving backwards, I fold the mirrors manually just before they approach the garage door (which is much narrower than the garage itself as shown in the illustration).
3- I then unfold them manually just after both mirrors clear the door on the outside to continue driving backwards into the road.

So in my case, your suggestion doesn't make sense, also, the GPS based folding/unfolding of the mirrors is meaningless as the area is the same, and that's why I prefer the status-quo. Sorry!

Hopefully the various suggestions would mean Tesla at least lets manually folding the mirror override automatic unfolding. I like the GPS idea and would welcome it (if it's an option to enable/disable). But there will be use cases it doesn't help and some, like @TMS won't like it. But the simple change to remember state could make those of us doing everything manually begin to use automatic folding everywhere else -- just not where it makes sense.

I may sound like a broken record, but a simple "solution" that does NOT make anything automatic would be Tesla to adjust Auto-Unfold to NOT activate if it was last manually folded in. In that case, "automatic" should not trigger until the mirrors are manually unfolded again.

This doesn't solve any automation for pulling into tight garages at home, but it does may automatic mirror folding/unfolding usable elsewhere.

Maybe someday we will have more options than "always on" and "always off".

I am one of those opposed to this because the suggested solution is exactly what I don't need or use! Here are the reasons:

1- I fold the mirrors manually just before driving into the garage to prevent any damage to the mirrors as the side clearance distance is too small (less than 2 inches).
2- I unfold them while I am still entering the garage just after the mirrors have cleared the garage door area in order to check the distance between the body of the car and the garage door on both sides (the inside of the garage is wide enough for the mirrors to unfold and for the passengers to get in or out).
Here is an illustration to describe this
View attachment 172800

1- When I get into the car to drive out of the garage, I WANT the mirrors to unfold automatically so that I can see both sides of the garage door clearly.
2- While moving backwards, I fold the mirrors manually just before they approach the garage door (which is much narrower than the garage itself as shown in the illustration).
3- I then unfold them manually just after both mirrors clear the door on the outside to continue driving backwards into the road.

So in my case, your suggestion doesn't make sense, also, the GPS based folding/unfolding of the mirrors is meaningless as the area is the same, and that's why I prefer the status-quo. Sorry!
The feature I requested wouldn't affect the status quo - just don't enable it and everything works as it does today, including the usage you describe. But it would help for people who don't need the mirrors in the garage.

So you are saying you voted in group 4: that you use auto-folding mirrors, but would be opposed to the change.

But why would you be opposed to my proposed change? It would have absolutely no negative impact on the way you use your mirrors currently, would help many other people, and in one situation, which I will get to below, could actually help you.

After this procedure your mirrors would still automatically fold, as they do now, which is exactly what you want. Your manual folding and unfolding would not affect anything.

Again, my proposed change would not affect anything about the way you want your mirrors to function above, except for the fact that if you happened to forget to unfold them after you have cleared your garage on the way out, my proposal would have your mirrors unfold on their own, once you achieved a certain speed. (Tesla says this happens already, but it doesn't.)

So in my case, your suggestion doesn't make sense

Do you now see how my suggestion does not have any negative ramifications for you whatsoever, but would help many other people? There is no reason why you, based on what you described as your mirror-fold usage above, should be opposed to this.