Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BLKMDL3

Supporting Member
Hello everybody,
This summer we are taking a road trip from Los Angeles in our X60D. We are planning to be away for 8-ish days. We want to go to Jackson WY, and then go to Yellowstone for a night or two and stay in West Yellowstone MT, where there is a supercharger. Does anybody have any trip suggestions or route suggestions? Anything to bring or look out for? I don't think I need a chademo adapter but if I do let me know!
Thanks for the responses,
Zack
Here is a picture taken yesterday when our X traveled to Las Vegas for the weekend and saw the seven magic mountains monument near Primm, NV
IMG_7242.JPG.jpeg

Your Jackson - West Yellowstone may be a little hectic, not sure which route you are planning on taking. The trip over the top of Tetons into Ashton, ID is absolutely gorgeous. Leaving Jackson with a completely full battery, I still wouldn't plan on much more than about 180 miles of actual range, you will be doing some pretty gnarly elevation changes. Worst case scenario you can stop at one of the many campgrounds and hook up if need be. Since you are saying it will be in the summer, my gut is you'd be okay. If it was in the winter I would be more than a little worried. (I haven't driven West Yellowstone to Jackson in my MX yet, but have made the trip many times)

Los Angeles to the Pocatello, ID supercharger (where you will need to top off for the jump to Jackson) will be absolutely no problem. The only real pain in the butt is having to hit the Supercharger in St. George, you won't have enough range to skip it in a 60D and it's quite a ways off of the interstate. (they are projected to build a new charger along the interstate, no idea when it will open).

• Informative
Reactions: BLKMDL3
Your Jackson - West Yellowstone may be a little hectic, not sure which route you are planning on taking. The trip over the top of Tetons into Ashton, ID is absolutely gorgeous. Leaving Jackson with a completely full battery, I still wouldn't plan on much more than about 180 miles of actual range, you will be doing some pretty gnarly elevation changes. Worst case scenario you can stop at one of the many campgrounds and hook up if need be. Since you are saying it will be in the summer, my gut is you'd be okay. If it was in the winter I would be more than a little worried. (I haven't driven West Yellowstone to Jackson in my MX yet, but have made the trip many times)

Los Angeles to the Pocatello, ID supercharger (where you will need to top off for the jump to Jackson) will be absolutely no problem. The only real pain in the butt is having to hit the Supercharger in St. George, you won't have enough range to skip it in a 60D and it's quite a ways off of the interstate. (they are projected to build a new charger along the interstate, no idea when it will open).
Was planning to take the route from Jackson to Idaho falls then around to West Yellowstone. I know that the St. George is really far off but oh well. Maybe the one near the 15 will be open in the summer.
Thanks!

75D upgrade will make things more pleasant. Went to Vegas one way, didn't like to be told to limit my speed to make it to the supercharger so upgraded before the drive back. :)

I feel accounting for slopes and my lead foot I don't get real 200 mile range until I unlocked the battery.

The only real pain in the butt is having to hit the Supercharger in St. George, you won't have enough range to skip it in a 60D and it's quite a ways off of the interstate. (they are projected to build a new charger along the interstate, no idea when it will open).

Google maps show 4.4 miles to swing over to the SC in St George as opposed to 2.4 miles if you stayed on I-15. I never considered 2 miles 'quite a ways'.

Google maps show 4.4 miles to swing over to the SC in St George as opposed to 2.4 miles if you stayed on I-15. I never considered 2 miles 'quite a ways'.

If you haven't actually driven to that supercharger yourself then you don't realize that it is quite a bit of thru town driving and stop lights, traffic, etc. as opposed to most of the supercharger that are a short distance off of the interstate, especially along the stretch he is talking about. Or perhaps you are one of those who just likes to nitpick and argue. ;)

Btw, considering Tesla has plans for building a charger right off the interstate, I'm not alone in my feelings. St. George is certainly not a major metropolis that needs two separate chargers to service all of the Tesla's in town.