Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer is coming (and better real world range)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aq42

Apr 17, 2022
UK
20230417_165407 resized.jpg

Yep, I've noticed a nice improvement in efficiency over the last few weeks as the temperature has steadily improved. My lifetime efficiency (5.5k miles) is now down to 320 Wh/mi. It was up at around 340 I think.

What's generally the average for a M3P?

When I owned the fast car my wife also thought the same. However taking a switch and she has the fast car now. She's changed her mind on it a bit. Comes home some days and tells me how some idiot was tailgating her then at lights when road opens up pulls into the "fast" lane. She then smokes them and she feels very pleased about that :)

Got Tesla mate running against it and it's around 350kWh but we've not had a summer with it yet and we still are enjoying hooning it a bit too much.

At its anniversary (8000 miles) my RWD was on 252Wh/mile. So you are talking about 230mile real world range on average for my mostly urban and occasional long trip usage.

In the depths of winter it was as low as 170 miles on a reasonable length journey and as high as 320 miles on a not too hot summers day.

Having said all that, the range has never once caused me concern. Don’t think I have ever run it below 15%.

The short of it is for me that with home charging and not regularly travelling 200+ miles a day, range is not something I ever think about.

Over 82k miles I've, according to the trip screen, averaged 250 w/mile in my '20 LR M3.
Winter is usually 300 w/mi plus and summer right down to 180w/mi.
The perfect temp is around 20°C I found so you have low air density and also no need for AC etc.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I've noticed much better performance recently even with just the few degree rise in temperature. To start with I thought I had a dodgy battery.

Range anxiety continues to persist for me and Mrs. McChimp although probably 95% of our journeys are local and a recent trip to Skye was mostly no problem.

Every so often Mrs. McChimp and I have a "heated debate" as she thinks we should just plug the car in every day to keep it always at 80%. But Tesla have advised to only charge once down near 20% or if we know we need the range.

I honestly think there's something psychological rather than real about this range anxiety we have. I think we see the car drop a few % on what feels like a short journey and it makes us nervous. But in reality that % drop is probably over a few miles so multiplying up we likely have at least a couple of hundred miles of range available.

I think for us it's the biggest shift in our mindsets. Everything else about the car has been easy and enjoyable (mostly anyway 😉)

Every so often Mrs. McChimp and I have a "heated debate" as she thinks we should just plug the car in every day to keep it always at 80%. But Tesla have advised to only charge once down near 20% or if we know we need the range.
Maybe she read the manual :)

Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it.
There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.

I specifically asked Tesla and they said not to do that.
I mean. Keep plugged in. Not to not read the manual😆

The manual doesn't state what charge limit to set. I agree it says it's best to keep it plugged in (despite what Tesla advisor told me) but no charge limit is suggested (Tesla advisor said 80%. I have charged to 100% prior to a long trip and it did give a message about not doing it too often.

I do and always will keep my car plugged in every day with the limit set to 80%. Has worked well for the 2.5 years so far. Only charge to 100% when I know I'm doing a big journey the following day.
Very sensible and recommended by Tesla. Set maximum anywhere between 70-90% and keep car plugged in. Go above 90% only when needed for an imminent long journey.

Reactions: init6

I'm with your wife on that one. (Who was advising from "Tesla" in this instance?) By 20% you are starting to drop out of the maximum happiness zone ... not exactly a problem but not optimum. I always plug in when I get home and my car is set to 75% default (on an SR+) so it will top up to that point overnight. Official Tesla advice "allows" up to 90% daily so 80% is just fine. It must be a pain to realise in the morning that your plans have changed and you don't have much range in the battery! (LFP batteries being different of course.)

I think he has a Model Y LR so won't be LFP.
No I went and checked.

It was a Tesla chat advisor. I was on a bout something else and asked about what the max limit should be (as it doesn't say( and they said to let it go to around 20% then charge to 80%.

No biggy. We can plug in frequently as we have the Tesla wall charger right where we park.