Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon / auto park in garage questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have a lot of ideas here to experiment with.

The grade is the same 20' from the garage as it is at the garage and autopark seems to start up fine so that seems to rule out grade. Except the Tesla support guy still thinks grade.

The lip is certainly an issue but can be shimmed or removed and might not be a problem if the driveway is more level.

I'll turn off tight tolerance and see if it centers and works better. I have tried long and short runups and they don't seem to affect it enough to succeed.

I have the car in the garage now(manually) so I'll see if I can summon it out. Unfortunately it's a big drop into the garage so might now get up the hump to get out either.

I have not figured out how to initiate autopark from the screen, will look into that.

I have not figured out how to initiate autopark from the screen, will look into that.
Sorry, I was facetious in my wording. The far-from-obvious answer is: you engage auto-park as if you were going to get out of
the vehicle -- as the car "expects" -- then open the door, lift yourself up from the seat, close the door again, then sit down again.
Congratulations, you have now fooled your $100k car into thinking you've gotten out of it, at which point it will proceed to auto-park,
with you still inside. It would obviously be crazy for Tesla to add a "just go ahead and park RIGHT NOW" button to the screen that
comes up asking which direction you want auto-park to move in.

I received my new Model S two days ago and when I got home I discovered that it is as wide as my Ford F150 truck. Therefore it's very difficult to get into my garage which is really a bay in my 200 yr old barn. Because of the aerodynamic rounding of the body I cannot see the front or rear fenders of the car from the driving position so it's nearly impossible to pull through the 7'10" wide doors without a lot of stress. Unfortunately I installed the charge outlet in there so I need to get in to charge the car.

Looks like a job for auto park! Except auto park cancels every time I try it. I also set the parameters for a tight garage. After a long discussion with the local service center we think the problem is that it's uphill into the barn and auto park is meant to work on level ground. Now, the angle uphill is maybe one foot rise over 25 feet distance. It's a gravel driveway so I'm considering adding a lot of gravel to make is level.

My question is, has anyone else encountered this problem and do you think this solution will work? We can't exactly pinpoint the problem so we are guessing it's the grade. Does anyone have a problem with a garage opening as small as 7'10"? Remember, I did set the parameters for a tight garage.

Thanks

Hey, did you ever find a solution? I got mine Monday and am in the exact situation, 7'10'' opening (it is a little wider inside) , at the bottom of a slight slope, I have to back it in for charging, and I get the red stop message whenever I try. I have had to crawl in, park manually (very tight) and crawl out window. I had no problem parking my CTS in there and opening the door (enough to get out)

Hey, did you ever find a solution? I got mine Monday and am in the exact situation, 7'10'' opening (it is a little wider inside) , at the bottom of a slight slope, I have to back it in for charging, and I get the red stop message whenever I try. I have had to crawl in, park manually (very tight) and crawl out window. I had no problem parking my CTS in there and opening the door (enough to get out)
Sounds like you need a bigger garage. ;)
I'd move the charger to the outside until you have a better place to park.
The Tesla is a big wide car.

My garage has a narrow width and I was able to manually bring the car in if I fold the side mirrors, with them open wide the car won't be able to get in. Does autopark also fold the side mirrors on its own?
Yes it does, but not reliably. Over the past few weeks I've watched summon UNFOLD the mirrors before pulling in / out of the garage (I have autofold engaged, so when I get out of the car and walk away, the mirrors always fold).
Summon is a bit buggy. If I stop a few inches farther away from the garage door than usual when arriving home, when I activate it to pull into the garage the car will move a few inches and then stop - sometimes (still completely outside the garage), and my phone displays the message "Summon complete." Other times it doesn't stop. GRRR! I trigger it again and it will park, but sometimes I have to trigger it three or even four times to get it to completely park.
Once summon pulled in, then refused to pull back out the next day! I had to squeeze into the car and nudge it forward manually to get the front sensors to clear the arch they had rolled smoothly past the night before.

• Helpful
Reactions: krazineurons
Yes it does, but not reliably. Over the past few weeks I've watched summon UNFOLD the mirrors before pulling in / out of the garage (I have autofold engaged, so when I get out of the car and walk away, the mirrors always fold).
Summon is a bit buggy. If I stop a few inches farther away from the garage door than usual when arriving home, when I activate it to pull into the garage the car will move a few inches and then stop - sometimes (still completely outside the garage), and my phone displays the message "Summon complete." Other times it doesn't stop. GRRR! I trigger it again and it will park, but sometimes I have to trigger it three or even four times to get it to completely park.
Once summon pulled in, then refused to pull back out the next day! I had to squeeze into the car and nudge it forward manually to get the front sensors to clear the arch they had rolled smoothly past the night before.

It is a bit buggy. I'm always amused to see what combination of: Mirror fold, door handle present, music on/off, lights on/off, and audible chimes will appear each day when I summon out of the garage.

Luckily, the car just clears with the mirrors out. I'm more annoyed with the door handles not presenting randomly since sometimes I'm not really paying attention and end up pawing uselessly at a handle that's still recessed... (Pre-coffee me is not super on the ball).

My garage door opening is 1" less than yours! only 93"
Before I bought my Model S I was very worried about getting safely through the door.

But you can safely pull into a door opening that tight, just takes some practice to creep in slowly and use the mirrors on both sides as a guide as you clear the frame (and fold them in if you're off target). I have a few inches per side clearance if the mirrors are extended, although it sure doesn't look like that much from the driver's seat.

To answer your question, I can confirm that summon/auto-park will safely direct the car through a garage door opening that small size. My driveway is quite flat although there is a cement lip where the garage floor meets the driveway - initially that bump seemed to give summon a problem and it would quit there but I think they fixed something in one of the updates so it goes over that fine now.

My bigger problem is the minimum setting for bumper clearance for summon is 20cm / 8in - but I need to have the car a few cm closer to the front wall than that for the trunk to be safely clear of the inside of the garage door when closed. My garage is short as well as narrow. So summon is therefore kind of pointless for me since I'd have to manually move the car ahead an additional bit each time. I wish they'd lower that min bumper clearance setting a bit, although I suspect it may be a limitation of the ultrasonic sensor resolution. Using summon to automatically pull the car out of the garage works fine in my case.

I have exactly the same situation. I wish the car would memorize it's exact parking spot and auto park each day. Summons on the way out of the garage works most of the time.

I too have a new model S and been experimenting with summon. Ideally I wanted to be able to summon my car from outside the garage but I have discovered the key needs to be so close to the vehicle I might as well get in and drive it out myself. Has anyone else experienced this?

I too have a new model S and been experimenting with summon. Ideally I wanted to be able to summon my car from outside the garage but I have discovered the key needs to be so close to the vehicle I might as well get in and drive it out myself. Has anyone else experienced this?
Congrats on your new MS. As you experiment, it sounds like you're trying to use Summon with it's ability to open/close your garage door as well. JUST BE CAREFUL as there have been reports of things going wrong for a myriad of obscure reasons by some expecting their Tesla to 100% of the time coordinate with their garage door. The primary issue as discussed in multiple threads is the majority of garage doors are dumb; your Tesla Homelink blindly sends a command to the door but has no ability to know for sure if it's gone up or down and it's current status; Tesla has not implemented the much lesser, but growing sort of intelligent interfaces to some garage doors that is becoming more widely available; the front/rear MS sensors can be fooled in some situations and there are none to handle your garage door possibly coming down from the top and hitting your frunk/hood/top/trunk or bumper.

Net is if I were you, if you want to use Summon with your garaged MS, ALWAYS open and close your garage door yourself so you can be the intelligence between the door and what Tesla provides with Summon. Good luck.

I am waiting anxiously for my MS and am very concerned about getting it into my 2 car garage. I have an SUV and a cruiser style (wide) motorcycle. Currently, my other car (to be sold) with mirrors extended gets to within 4 inches from the motorcycle's mirror (same height) as I drive by. Will auto park/summon balk at getting that close? Ideally I would like to park and summon without getting in the car

That is great advice - thank you - The first time it did the summon the car did open the door, but I was standing right beside the car to cancel it just in case - last thing I need is a new car backing into the garage door!

As for how close I was standing - it was about 6 feet away. Just was curious on how far people stand away from their cars when using summon.

I am waiting anxiously for my MS and am very concerned about getting it into my 2 car garage. I have an SUV and a cruiser style (wide) motorcycle. Currently, my other car (to be sold) with mirrors extended gets to within 4 inches from the motorcycle's mirror (same height) as I drive by. Will auto park/summon balk at getting that close? Ideally I would like to park and summon without getting in the car
I think you will be okay since Summon has the ability to keep the side mirrors closed.

• Helpful
Reactions: joebiker25
It is definitely the way to go. I have major neighbor envy going on. Everyone that went epoxy wishes they went with Racedeck. 1/2 the cost and looks even better. All you need is a table saw with a fine tooth blade. From start to finish it took me about 5hrs. That was emptying garage, mopping garage, waiting to dry (just cause), laying the floor, putting everything back, and cracking open a beer. My wife and daughter even helped (some). I placed down the tiles and they snapped them into place with their feet. Here are a few more pics.

View attachment 181254 View attachment 181255View attachment 181256
Just great! I'm reading this thread about.........I don't remember and now I'm going to re-do my garage floor. Thanks for the extra work guys! :)