TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Summon usefulness-less

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by MasterT, Mar 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MasterT

MasterT Member

Isnt current implementation of summon pretty limited in usefulness?

I mean, when is it really useful (except showing off to people)? The only one instance I could think of is if your garage is very narrow making getting in and out of your car awkward. In this case, you stop in the driveway before entering the garage and summon the car in.

Where else? Parallel parking is implemented and it's easy to get in and out of the car when parked parallel.

I think summon is most beneficial for perpendicular parking which usually makes ingress and egress not very easy. In this case, you find a spot, exit, summon the car to park and it goes in the parking spot making 90 degree turn. Summoning out would also require 90 degree turn. That would be very useful as there is much more space in the aisle than in a parked spot. The current summon would drive straight out blocking the aisle making turn even more difficult.

Do you guys think we'll get 90 degree summon?

2. enzo

enzo Member

Just tried summon for the first time. I do have a narrow garage situation... but unfortunately there is a ledge entering the garage and the car is unwilling to apply enough acceleration to pass it. Does back out though.

3. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Hmm, weird. How big is your ledge? Mine works fine. It hit the lip and bounced back a bit and it roll back and continue on.

4. Jack007

Jack007 Member

I'm afraid to use summon in my garage... it's so narrow, it's always freaking out beeping and measurements are STOP!
    when I don't fold the mirrors in I have 4 inches on either side
    Then I have to turn fairly sharp at the end to miss the stairs....
    Not trusting it sorry.

5. enzo

enzo Member

About an inch. But mine is on the way in, while yours on the way out. Maybe that has something to do with it...

6. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Mine too. I have shelves on both side of my garage and it more narrow further in. It keep screaming stop at me when I drive it in. It does auto-steer to keep the car in the middle and have equal clearance on both sides though. It works very well.

But if you have to turn sharply to avoid the stairs, it may be above the sonar sensors and it may not see it.

7. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Just notice yours is a 60. You may need a 4WD to climb over the ledge. lol. :D

• Helpful x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. enzo

enzo Member

Good thinking.

9. krazineurons

krazineurons krazineurons

exactly my point, would I trust myself or summon when parking into a narrow garage?

AP1 had auto perpendicular Park, that is in my opinion the feature I would use each time I want to park my car.. Summon perhaps never :( in its current condition.

• Like x 1
  10. wesley888

wesley888 Member

From what I see my car steering into my garage, I fully trust it.

11. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Showing off, for sure, but I have now on 5 occasions found it useful when some moron has parked too close for me to open the driver door and get in, so I have summoned Max out of the stall.

• Like x 4
  12. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I use it all the time to finish backing into a Supercharger stall. Back in most of the way, get out and watch to verify it is far enough back but not hitting anything. Same with curbs in front of perpendicular parking spots. Sorry, sensors just don't see some of them. I pull up as close as I feel comfortable with, then get out and do the rest with Summon.

• Helpful x 3
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  13. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

I used to use it when I lived in a place with a garage. Opening the garage door, etc. was cool. But not necessary. Now I live in a place where there is a wall next to the car. No no passenger entry. I do use it regularly to back out, my girlfriend and I can enter the car at the same time. There is a practical use.

• Like x 1
  14. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I tried it for the first time in my garage, yet it wouldn't get close enough inside for me to close the garage door behind it. I guess I'll have to clear more stuff out of the way.

15. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

Wouldn't you be worried about a ding in this situation?

16. MasterT

MasterT Member

Try decreasing front bumper clearance in Summon customization screen

17. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I set it to lowest setting which is 8 inches, still 4-5 inches too far.

18. oktane

oktane Active Member

I tried three times, and all times it almost crashes the front left corner into the entrance of the garage. Not impressed, unfortunately. Much more stressful to watch the car flounder than to simply park myself and squeeze out.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. Haxster

Haxster Member

Tried it a few times n full auto mode with Homelink enabled. Other than frequently losing connection with the phone app, it was flawless.

Kind of cool to watch 5,000 pounds of expensive metal silently "float" in and out of your garage.

• Like x 1
  20. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Why would I worry about a ding? I'm backing out after Doofus has blocked my door, not into a too-narrow space.