Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon usefulness-less

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ABC2D

Dec 19, 2016
Home
Isnt current implementation of summon pretty limited in usefulness?

I mean, when is it really useful (except showing off to people)? The only one instance I could think of is if your garage is very narrow making getting in and out of your car awkward. In this case, you stop in the driveway before entering the garage and summon the car in.

Where else? Parallel parking is implemented and it's easy to get in and out of the car when parked parallel.

I think summon is most beneficial for perpendicular parking which usually makes ingress and egress not very easy. In this case, you find a spot, exit, summon the car to park and it goes in the parking spot making 90 degree turn. Summoning out would also require 90 degree turn. That would be very useful as there is much more space in the aisle than in a parked spot. The current summon would drive straight out blocking the aisle making turn even more difficult.

Do you guys think we'll get 90 degree summon?

Just tried summon for the first time. I do have a narrow garage situation... but unfortunately there is a ledge entering the garage and the car is unwilling to apply enough acceleration to pass it. Does back out though.

I'm afraid to use summon in my garage... it's so narrow, it's always freaking out beeping and measurements are STOP!
when I don't fold the mirrors in I have 4 inches on either side
Then I have to turn fairly sharp at the end to miss the stairs....
Not trusting it sorry.

I'm afraid to use summon in my garage... it's so narrow, it's always freaking out beeping and measurements are STOP!
when I don't fold the mirrors in I have 4 inches on either side
Then I have to turn fairly sharp at the end to miss the stairs....
Not trusting it sorry.

Mine too. I have shelves on both side of my garage and it more narrow further in. It keep screaming stop at me when I drive it in. It does auto-steer to keep the car in the middle and have equal clearance on both sides though. It works very well.

But if you have to turn sharply to avoid the stairs, it may be above the sonar sensors and it may not see it.

Isnt current implementation of summon pretty limited in usefulness?

I mean, when is it really useful (except showing off to people)? The only one instance I could think of is if your garage is very narrow making getting in and out of your car awkward. In this case, you stop in the driveway before entering the garage and summon the car in.

Where else? Parallel parking is implemented and it's easy to get in and out of the car when parked parallel.

I think summon is most beneficial for perpendicular parking which usually makes ingress and egress not very easy. In this case, you find a spot, exit, summon the car to park and it goes in the parking spot making 90 degree turn. Summoning out would also require 90 degree turn. That would be very useful as there is much more space in the aisle than in a parked spot. The current summon would drive straight out blocking the aisle making turn even more difficult.

Do you guys think we'll get 90 degree summon?

Showing off, for sure, but I have now on 5 occasions found it useful when some moron has parked too close for me to open the driver door and get in, so I have summoned Max out of the stall.

I use it all the time to finish backing into a Supercharger stall. Back in most of the way, get out and watch to verify it is far enough back but not hitting anything. Same with curbs in front of perpendicular parking spots. Sorry, sensors just don't see some of them. I pull up as close as I feel comfortable with, then get out and do the rest with Summon.

I used to use it when I lived in a place with a garage. Opening the garage door, etc. was cool. But not necessary. Now I live in a place where there is a wall next to the car. No no passenger entry. I do use it regularly to back out, my girlfriend and I can enter the car at the same time. There is a practical use.

Reactions: ABC2D