Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon

Would anyone like to see SUMMON back for basic Autopilot at no addition cost?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my model 3 end of Oct 2019 and have had several upgrades to the software since then, and am now current with 2020 4.1.1. I was trying to figure out why up until recently I was able to see "Summon" on my Tesla.app, but now it's gone. I searched various forums and saw conflicting points of view, and by the way I have just the basic Autopilot. So today I visited my local Tesla Service Centre to find the answer, it turns out after a couple of different opinions that the "SUMMON" was only a TRIAL PERIOD (3months as it turns out), but I never knew that, was never told that, and now it's gone am a little disappointed that it is now available as "Smart Summon" if I upgrade for $7000. Wish they kept it as two options, Summon for owners who just want to get it out of tight spaces like a garage for basic Autopilot, and for those that want it to AutoPark etc for the additional cost. To have something and then take it away is annoying, but leaving that aside I love my Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: coconutboy84
Of course it would be nice if basic summon was part of autopilot. But I don’t see Tesla having any motivation to do that as they want to make FSD as attractive as possible to convince you to spend $7K.

Taking a poll to find out if someone would like to get something for free seems a little pointless. Who wouldn’t like it to be free given the choice?

My point was that when I bought the car is was there in basic autopilot and DID NOT KNOW IT WAS A TRIAL PERIOD, I was not informed or recall anything to say it was. I said I was a little disappointed to see it go. If some of you see that as a COMPLAINT, sorry. My survey question was to see if owners of Basic Autopilot would like to see SUMMON as part of the package and not to ask or expect SMART SUMMON to be part of the deal.

Reactions: jfinephilly
They might not have explicitly informed you that Summon was a trial, but I don’t think it was in the list of autopilot features in October of last year.

I can understand the disappointment of losing something and learning that you were getting something for nothing. But you were, in fact, getting something for nothing.

It would be great if Tesla offered the FSD features to those of us who don’t have it, but they don’t owe it to us to just give them away.

My point was that when I bought the car is was there in basic autopilot and DID NOT KNOW IT WAS A TRIAL PERIOD, I was not informed or recall anything to say it was......
So you are mad because you had a feature that you didn't pay for and it was removed as it should have been? If you want Summon then pay for FSD.

It is ALL but certain that Tesla will NOT be adding ANY self driving features to standard AP. In fact Tesla probably feels a lot of pressure to add features to FSD in order to farther differentiate AP from FSD so more will upgrade to FSD.

My point was that when I bought the car is was there in basic autopilot and DID NOT KNOW IT WAS A TRIAL PERIOD, I was not informed or recall anything to say it was. I said I was a little disappointed to see it go. If some of you see that as a COMPLAINT, sorry. My survey question was to see if owners of Basic Autopilot would like to see SUMMON as part of the package and not to ask or expect SMART SUMMON to be part of the deal.

Honestly, I feel for you. One shouldn't have to extensively read forums to know what their car should and shouldn't have. You also can't rely on information at the time of sale, which in my mind says I have premium connectivity forever (but Tesla says otherwise elsewhere on their website!). Perhaps I'm antiquated in my approach, but if my car comes with it then I expect it unless it's very obviously a trial.

My last car came with a trial of XM Satellite Radio. It was made obvious at the time of sale. We went over it multiple times, mentioned the fact it's a year trial multiple times, and multiple pieces of paper in the glovebox state the trial - impossible to miss. And sure enough, it disappeared after a year. And I wasn't mad because it was 100% expected, because the dealership very clearly communicated this to every customer. Even if they didn't, all the papers in the glovebox made it obvious as well.

Even if they had informed you, they likely would have got it wrong. Virtually everything a Tesla rep has told me has turned out to be incorrect. If I want to know something about Tesla I learn about it here. Asking Tesla employees a question has been a complete waste of my time.

See, this is frankly dumb. How is a community the reliable authority for a company, and how can consumers be expected to follow all this? Traditional dealerships don't get this right either, but they can at least assure you what your car comes with. If they get it wrong, in my experience they'll offer it as good will because their reputation depends on not being swindlers.

Oh boy! I'm NOT MAD as you seem to think I am. I said I was disappointed for the third time. I was innocent to the fact that Summon was there when I got the car and then it disappears and I knew not why. So I did the right thing and ASKED Tesla at the Service centre, did not make a fuss, did not create a problem, in fact I was charming to all the ladies.. For those of you that read my entire story at the beginning, I think I ended with "I love my Tesla." Continue to bash me if it makes you happy, and thank you for the welcome to the club.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
See, this is frankly dumb. How is a community the reliable authority for a company, and how can consumers be expected to follow all this? Traditional dealerships don't get this right either, but they can at least assure you what your car comes with. If they get it wrong, in my experience they'll offer it as good will because their reputation depends on not being swindlers.

I can’t say that I find traditional dealership to be any better or worse than my experience with Tesla salespeople. I remember looking at a Prius a number of years ago and asking the sales rep if it had Bluetooth for hands free speaking. His response was “What’s Bluetooth?”

I’ve never found that asking salespeople questions in any industry has been effective. They generally know very little about the products they sell and even less about the competitor’s products. I find researching things on the internet to be the only meaningful way to learn about products I’m considering purchasing.

Crowd sourced knowledge is always the best way to go. The collective wisdom of thousands of Tesla owners who drive these cars every day is always going to be superior to the knowledge of any individual salesperson.

Oh boy! I'm NOT MAD as you seem to think I am. I said I was disappointed for the third time. I was innocent to the fact that Summon was there when I got the car and then it disappears and I knew not why. So I did the right thing and ASKED Tesla at the Service center, did not make a fuss, did not create a problem, in fact I was charming to all the ladies.. For those of you that read my entire story at the beginning, I think I ended with "I love my Tesla." Continue to bash me if it makes you happy, and thank you for the welcome to the club.

Man i feel sorry for you, sharing your thought here got you retards with ignorant feedback attacking you. wtf with you guys. he made a point so agree or disagree.

stop being retards. otherwise, none will dare share his thought or issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I can certainly see where you’re coming from. (I paid for FSD, so I don’t think any of the features should be free...sorry).
I have bought many cars (username is not a lie). And had many experiences where I knew way more about the car than the salesmen. It’s become the norm for me, not to toot my own horn...it’s just expected.
When I bought my 3 I didn’t have the luxury of going to a Tesla location (I blame Texas), so I was solely responsible for the information I consumed. This forced me to research even more in depth than I usually would.

I’ve had so many incorrect things told to me at dealerships, including service side things. I trust virtually nothing I’m told by them. The point of this post is “this isn’t a Tesla only issue, it’s widespread at least in the US”.

Man i feel sorry for you, sharing your thought here got you retards with ignorant feedback attacking you. wtf with you guys. he made a point so agree or disagree.

stop being retards. otherwise, none will dare share his thought or issue.
I appreciate your comments thank you. I am not thin skinned but was surprised at the reaction of some. I had only just joined and was my first post. Iv'e been around the block at 72 years of age, I had watched numerous hours of Tesla You-tube and and cannot say enough about my car to others. Tesla owners should stick together for this amazing product.

So I bought a used Tesla that luckily came with Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), which includes basic Summon. My car also have HW 2.5, so is not FSD capable without the HW upgrade, which would cost me $4k. This means that Tesla could make Basic Summon and upgradable option if they wanted to. I know there are upgrades for things like rear seat heating and performance boost for cars that didn't come with those features. It would make sense that more features will be made available as an upgrade option for cars that support it.

I dont expect it for free, but I would love for Tesla to split it up, and have it as an upgrade option. I would pay $1-1.5k for Summons on its own. Seems like i big cashflow miss for Tesla. I will never pay $7k for FSD. I just would not use it. I love driving my car, and would not have purchased a Performance if I wanted it to drive me everything. I would buy Summons on its own though.

Reactions: TX_M3P+