Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons crashed my car into a column

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't give us any more details? Pics of the column and surroundings?
F4066D87-3A34-44D2-880D-E8BE4307FCDA.jpeg
FF51974F-8BB4-4639-A36F-F7EFDD288E93.jpeg F4066D87-3A34-44D2-880D-E8BE4307FCDA.jpeg F4066D87-3A34-44D2-880D-E8BE4307FCDA.jpeg
You can't give us any more details? Pics of the column and surroundings?
0C2A7734-2DC0-4B5C-829C-BB8EEE5C8E96.jpeg

Doubt they will cover it. You're suppose to be mindful of the vehicle actions and halt it before it runs into something.

Summon moves slowly. Why didn't you notice the steering wheel pointing towards the column?

btw, this situation totally sucks, I'm not blaming you so much as covering how this scenario will be perceived. There's a lot of disclaimers for this reason.

Sorry to see this happen, OP. Smart summon can’t see things close to the car’s side. I recall that there was a woman who hit the side of her garage in a similar fashion.

We’re a very long way off from FSD, IMO.

Sorry to hear that OP.

Yea, I’ve seen enough “smart” summon damage for me to leave that feature alone until it matures a little. I can see missing something small and/or out of place. Not sure how it keeps missing columns/huge structures.

Beware using Summons. I could see my car, and it turned right into a concrete column. Anyone had any luck in getting Tesla pay for this obvious flaw?

If you could see your car, why did you not stop Smart Summon before it hit the column? And you are responsible for Smart Summon so no, Tesla is not liable for any damages.

I have a new M3 for all of 3 weeks, still learning about what the car can and can't do. Like the OP I am surprised at what the car DOESN'T see sometimes and that it doesn't have sonar sensors on the sides as it does on the front and back. The angle of the cameras makes it very easy for things close up to be missed.

As for this incident, maybe people can be a little less judgemental? Based on the pictures, I could understand thinking the car will see the pillar and not turn into it while backing up. If the driver was on the other side, even with it moving slowly I bet that happened really quick :(

I tried using SS to have my car back out of my driveway and come down to me all of 2-3 houses away. Instead of exiting the driveway then turning onto the street, it backed up a few feet then turned and would have driven over the grass and off the curb over a metal drain. The car would have bottomed out. Again, I get it, the car didn't "see" the driveway per se and since there were no obstacles it wanted to turn. I just think we give it too much credit sometimes when it still needs to mature.