Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F1AADBC1-B207-4D77-9AEF-0D5D919140C2.jpeg

I believe Elon means a Starship in Earth LEO, once fueled up by multiple refueling missions, will be able to take 100 metric tons of cargo (which included the mass of the crew, of course) to anywhere in the solar system that you can get to requiring no more than 6.9km/s of Delta-V. That would include the Moon, Mars, and many other destinations.

Now does he mean round trip or one way? I’m not sure.

Tweet by ChrisG: “SpaceX plans to launch the Starship/Super Heavy up to 24 times per year from LC-39A. A static fire test would be conducted on each stage prior to each launch."
————————————————————————
SpaceX is aiming to launch the SH/Starship almost every two weeks at LC39A? Wow.

Somehow I’m not expecting to see that happen for at least another decade. That is insanely ambitious.

And the booster is going to land at sea? “We’re going to need a bigger boat”.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
SpaceX is aiming to launch the SH/Starship almost every two weeks at LC39A? Wow.

Somehow I’m not expecting to see that happen for at least another decade. That is insanely ambitious.
This assessment is probably planning for the heaviest use imaginable, as imagined by Elon of course. ;-)
What they actually end up doing will then not need a new assessment I guess.

On Aug. 3rd and 4th Elon tweeted he plans to hold an event on the 24th where he will review Starship program and detail major design decisions, pros/cons. Everyone following SpaceX has been waiting to hear the full story of why and how they have pivoted from earlier designs to the current stainless steel design.

I don’t know that Elon will come out and say this, but sometime in the past year or so he and his SpaceX team
decided they could build the new vehicles (or at least prototypes) much faster and looser than any previous large rockets, including their own. Even to the extent of assembling them outdoors.

I believe they are building two (which are not 100% identical or built same way) is not just because he likes the idea of two teams competing but because developing this radically fast makes it very likely that at least one of these prototypes will RUD during testing and he is fine if that happens, because he's convinced the increased development speed and reduced costs makes this a better/faster approach for getting to Mars.

This all seems obvious at this point but if it's been discussed already here I've missed it. Thanks in advance to any of the heavy hitters pointing out flaws in this reasoning.

Yah!
So, if they boost the number of Raptors proportionally, will the stage remain about the same height?
Seems like there is a relativly fixed ratio of fuel to engine to rocket mass with each subsection generating a fixed amount of net lift. More subsections, more total second stage and payload mass.

Alternatively, sameish number of engines and shorter stages to provide better stability for Starship Prime when landing.