Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and when that administration is gone in less than 2 years policies will change. It’s impossible for NASA to set a goal and maintain a funded program to reach that goal unless the program is really a barrel of pork spread across multiple states. That’s how it gets funded.

There is really no chance that SpaceX can get the funding needed to establish a moon base. Senator Shelby will not allow it.

If there is an independent available super heavy launch provider with reusable (read low cist) launch capability, NASA can rely on them to get modules to the moon, under almost any budget.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Yes, and when that administration is gone in less than 2 years policies will change.
Which is why Trump's errand boy was sent to delivery this shameless message. Promising 5 years is an awfully convenient way to pocket some pro-space voters for reelection. For many, there will now be the underlying fear that a different administration would push to cancel.

Which is why Trump's errand boy was sent to delivery this shameless message. Promising 5 years is an awfully convenient way to pocket some pro-space voters for reelection. For many, there will now be the underlying fear that a different administration would push to cancel.

Um, sounds to me like you’re accusing the administration of being competent at politics.

Reactions: WillK
Um, sounds to me like you’re accusing the administration of being competent at politics.
There's no doubting that, these folks have all the talking points covered. I'm all in for SpaceX getting a piece of such a plan. What's bothersome is the way it's being presented to the public. The whole nationalism angle doesn't hold the same excitement for me as it did 50 years ago. That race is over and won, but after listening to Pence's speech, we apparently have to win a moon race at least once a century. On the ISS we have international partners, it would be great to hear they're also being considered in future plans for lunar exploration. On another point, I'm conflicted by a desire to see rapid progress in crewed space exploration, but troubled that a large government space program is beholden to politicians looking to take credit for individuals that put their lives on the line. Just one of the reasons why I hope Elon can find a financial means to continue the private development of FSH and Starship.

SpaceX's steel Starship glows during Earth reentry in first high-quality render

Apparently a recent print issue of Popular Mechanics magazine contains a new render from SpaceX of the Starship re-entering Earth’s atmosphere which is not available online. It’s unclear how Teslerati got the image, but here it is:

5733C1B6-8540-43CA-AAA6-D84F353D16FA.jpeg

For many?? @ecarfan has made a reasonable case that the great majority of Americans don't understand or care about big new space explorations. Plus all Trump's base cares about building is a new Great Wall of America. Much more satisfying than investing in infrastructure or space technology.

SpaceX's steel Starship glows during Earth reentry in first high-quality render

Apparently a recent print issue of Popular Mechanics magazine contains a new render from SpaceX of the Starship re-entering Earth’s atmosphere which is not available online. It’s unclear how Teslerati got the image, but here it is:

View attachment 391498
Yeah, that issue also contains a Q&A with Elon about going to Mars. Saw it at the airport this week. Should have bought it. It is in Apple’s new News+ subscription service as well. But that preview does not contain the Q&A of course.

Reactions: Mobius484
Yeah, that issue also contains a Q&A with Elon about going to Mars. Saw it at the airport this week. Should have bought it. It is in Apple’s new News+ subscription service as well. But that preview does not contain the Q&A of course.
I just read in Apple News+ the Q&A with Elon published in the April print edition, but when I got to the end it said “An extended version of this interview appears on PopularMechanic.com”.

What? News+ is a subscription service but it does not include the entire interview? So I went to the website and found the same exact interview at Elon Musk Interview | SpaceX Mars Base with no additional content compared to News+.

Anyway, the interview I read was pretty good reading. Classic Elon: expressing incredulity at people who say Mars cannot be terraformed.

36158EC9-DA88-498D-B70B-68DC3358A1A5.jpeg

Right on Elon! Of course we can do that. It will take centuries, but so what? Let’s get started.

No sure if this has been posted yet but it seems Elon has changed how BFR will be used for a Earth to Earth commercial spaceliner. Instead of using Starship and the BFR in a 2 stage set up, he thinks it will be better to just use Starship alone as a single stage to take passengers across the globe. As a single stage, it won't be as fast, but Elon feels that Starship will still be good enough to take passengers around the world in record time. Here is my source: SpaceX CEO Elon Musk wants to use Starships as hypersonic spaceliners

Interesting. Obviously, safety will still be a big, primary concern. I think we are a long way from actually being able to take passengers around the world in Starship. But at the same time, it is exciting to imagine that some day, flying around the world in 1 hour in a spaceliner might be as common as flying on a passenger jet today.