Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon tweeted this picture of three Raptors in the Starship prototype.
EFapNVWU8AAnr8d.jpg

Trying to plan the day around Saturday's Starship presentation in Boca. Would appreciate someone posting the time. Searching the internet I haven't found much information, even on reddit. No surprise, SpaceX is keeping this tightly wrapped. Fully expect this to be webcast, perhaps the link will be up on the SpaceX website later today. At that point they typically put up a countdown clock. Of course it might start a few minutes late. If the betting line is late by 10 minutes, I feel confident taking the under!

Trying to plan the day around Saturday's Starship presentation in Boca. Would appreciate someone posting the time. Searching the internet I haven't found much information, even on reddit. No surprise, SpaceX is keeping this tightly wrapped. Fully expect this to be webcast, perhaps the link will be up on the SpaceX website later today.
I’m sure it will be live streamed at SpaceX.com and expect that we won’t know the start time until either there is an announcement on the website or Elon tweets about it. Either of which could happen at any moment...

I’m keeping my Saturday schedule clear, as this webcast has top priority for me. :cool:

Reactions: Bobfitz1
I hate to be a negative Nelly ... and I'm not a rocket scientist ... but I don't like the evolution of Starship. It's veering towards an Orbiter II, with the large canards, chines, winglets/flaplets, etc. The final design will probably merge all those into delta wings! It's the classic trap of combining astronautics and aeronautics.

I hate to be a negative Nelly ... and I'm not a rocket scientist ... but I don't like the evolution of Starship. It's veering towards an Orbiter II, with the large canards, chines, winglets/flaplets, etc. The final design will probably merge all those into delta wings! It's the classic trap of combining astronautics and aeronautics.

And what’s wrong with that trap?

I'm not a rocket scientist ... but I don't like the evolution of Starship. It's veering towards an Orbiter II, with the large canards, chines, winglets/flaplets, etc. The final design will probably merge all those into delta wings! It's the classic trap of combining astronautics and aeronautics.
Maybe you could explain — not as a rocket scientist of course, just an interested layperson — exactly what engineering and technical problems you see in the Starship design.

Then I can keep your critique in mind when later today I watch an actual rocket scientist — that guy who runs SpaceX — provide the latest updates on Starship development.

STARSHIP UPDATE | SpaceX

You do realize, all those surfaces are going to be perpendicular to the airflow*, not parallel. Right?

(On most of re-entry, final low speed land will align (assuming atmosphere) and launch dies not use them for manuvering)

I'm unaware of any such "classic trap". What are you talking about?

I'm unaware of any such "classic trap". What are you talking about?

Wing has benefits, such as cross range, more stability, and maneuverability. However, wing = weight and cost, especially when a vehicle is re-entering atmosphere from outside of LEO. Expensive and complex thermal protection systems will be needed, but at the same time, weight will need to be minimized. These are very complex thermal/structural problems to be solved, which is why most in the aerospace world aren't trying to duplicate the Space Shuttle orbiter unless cross range and runway landing are design requirements.